Dragon Age: Origins (PC/PS3/Xbox)

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Themadcow

Dragon Age: Origins (PC/PS3/Xbox)

Post by Themadcow »

This is the bioware developed spiritual successor to Baldurs Gate, due in late Oct or November this year.

I was mildly interested in this until I read a preview in which it was suggested that the game revolves heavily around a recruiment campaign (sound familiar?) - not for individual characters though, but factions. The example given was a war between werewolves and elves where you have to choose who to side with in order to gain their alliegance.

The other element that sounded interesting was the spell combo where two characters can combine spells to result in additional effects / damage. Such as a grease spell + fire to ignite, or lightning + wind to create a tsunami effect. Again, the idea of 'uniting' attacks is a familiar and welcome one.

The only downside for me is that it appears to be predominantly real time combat with the ability to pause to execute commands. While this is pseudo-turn based, it's not the fully turn based combat I enjoy.

Full preview below:

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/967/967555p1.html
thcrock
Global Admin

Re: Dragon Age: Origins (PC/PS3/Xbox)

Post by thcrock »

The real-time / pause battle system is exactly what Baldur's Gate was. If you played that I don't know how you would be surprised by this.

I've been looking for a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate for years. I tried Oblivion but I didn't enjoy the battle system at all (I want to control a party, not play an FPS with swords and spells), and think Dragon Age is more my style. I've been following this pretty closely, and hope the battle system holds up on a console controller (I would have to buy a new computer to play this on PC, and I do not want to do that just for games) so I can play this on PS3.
Themadcow

Post by Themadcow »

Um, I didn't say I was suprised - just that I prefer turn based. The facility to auto-pause on specific events (status changes etc) gives me hope that it's customisable to the point that it becomes like a turn based game.

I've got the same issue in terms of PS3 or PC. I'd certainly prefer PC but I doubt my ageing crock could handle it well (it just about handles WoW and Oblivion) but the PS3 version in £10-£15 more expensive and is could be afflicted by control issues. Fingers crossed though that the ability to use a keyboard and mouse on the PS3 means that it'll have a "PC style" control option.
inuyasha_demon

Post by inuyasha_demon »

Still yet to play this..I might add it to my Xmas list. D;
MUTINY!

Post by MUTINY! »

Brought this game a few days back, I'm really really enjoying it! - Not very far through it mind.
I was a huge fan of Baldurs gate and I really think Bioware have brought out another gem, It's like a sword wielding Mass Effect!.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I bought it as well and it is taking up almost all of my free time playing it. It's a lot of fun and has an interesting plot. I recommend it to anyone who likes the KOTOR style of RPGs.
inuyasha_demon

Post by inuyasha_demon »

Is it alot better than Fables storyline? I disliked Fable 1 and 2s so much.

I beat both of them pretty easily.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I've been meaning to pick this up, but my backlog of games is too large. From the reactions I've seen, it looks like a worthy successor to the Baldur's Gate series, so I'll be excited to play it in the intermediate future :)
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I was thinking. . .strike that, I'm definitely gonna get this once my PS3 stops being all insubordinate and such. (I'm getting a new one :/)

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

inuyasha_demon wrote:Is it alot better than Fables storyline? I disliked Fable 1 and 2s so much.

I beat both of them pretty easily.
Yes, I found Fable to be boring. This one has waaaaay more character development.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Would there be any point in getting this if you never really liked Baldur's Gate?
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Perhaps. Voice acting and zoomed in graphics with facial expressions make a big difference. Also, the actual battle calculations are a little less transparent and aren't based on D&D but a similar new system.

I never really liked Baldur's Gate but I loved KOTOR. I'd say it's similar to that (except if you hated that game because you hate Star Wars it might still be okay) more so than Baldur's Gate.
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

I want to play this really badly. I keep hearing a BUNCH of good things about it, though I don't think I'd be able to play it anytime soon considering I don't have a system and I don't think it's for mac, but then again, I don't like playing games on my computer anyway.
Themadcow

Post by Themadcow »

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it. The dialogue choices are genuinely complex, with the most agressive / cocky approach sometimes producing the best results. I've selected an Elf mage, with the mindset that he's a minority species in a world that mistrusts magic - so I'm not out to win friends by simply being nice.

The storyline is definately engaging with some nice set-pieces and good flow to the action. Combat is most fun when it gets hectic - although it takes a while to get used to the stop/start nature.

Best new RPG I've played this year, for sure.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Ooooh boy, as far as I'm concerned Bioware needs to talk less crap about JRPG's and focus more on making their own games freaking playable.

Before giving up on the freaking game I managed to have restart my human noble cause the damn door wouldn't unlock as it should, I had to reload an earlier save because the battle of Redcliffe wouldn't go into the second phase and all saves close to that point were the same, and after that wohoo... then when I send Morrigan into the Fade, the game decides that it's no longer possible to attack the demon you're supposed to kill.

Yeah, thanks Bioware. Less focus on what everyone else is doing wrong and more on your own product would be appriciated.

And you know, when you make a game that you claim is all about giving the player a choice, try to make the game remember which choices you made.

Seriously, go for the "dark" ending with a male char, befriend Alistair and marvel at how right before the final battle he talks about Morrigan saving them and yet in the ending the bugger has no clue why they didn't have to make the sacrifice despite only minutes early clearly being in the know. *facepalm*
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.