Sims

Post by Oppenheimer »

So I am an avid Sims player and have in the past purchased:

The Sims (original)
The Sims 2 Deluxe
The Sims 2 University
The Sims 2 Open for Business
The Sims 2 Seasons

and have just uninstalled all of the above and bought The Sims 3.

I am enjoying it although it's somewhat annoying that they removed the seasons as I loved that aspect. But the big town is nice. It's unfortunate that it's a bit more of a chore to switch households on the fly than I was expecting. But still, I'm enjoying it. Anyone else have it? and what do they think?
Chris_Lightfellow

Re: Sims

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

I got it, but...eh...I don't know...I played it for about 10 minutes, got bored with it, and went back to Sims 2. I'll give it some more shots before I make my final verdict on whether or not to sell it, but so far I'm not really impressed. Although I did think the personality traits were interesting. Oh, as for what Sims I own/have played, Sims (all expansion packs), Sims 2 Deluxe, Sims 2 Pets, and I got the Teen Stuff disk too.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I played it more last night and what I decided to do was create a second family that I wanted to marry into and let the computer control them while I romanced my way into them from the household I control. I really worked a lot with the style creator this time and created leopard print suspenders on the one guy and multi coloured hair and face paint and all this stuff.

Plus now that my sims are getting higher in their profession interesting things are happening. The journalist can now "interview" random sims and find out about all their traits and then can go home and write a article (either positive or negative) about them. He's also writing an autobiography on one of them. He was encouraged by the game to root through dumpsters outside some neibours houses to find dirt to write about.

Also my other sim has gotten into gardening. Although it's odd without seasons that you don't have to worry about growing periods, it is interesting that you can just replant harvested food in order to treat them as seeds for the next plant. You never have to buy seeds. Also the new "tend garden" prompt allows you to have the sim weed, water the entire garden in one click so you don't have to micro manage that part.

I also bought the Lifetime reward of Iron Bladder so that I don't have to "go" anymore. It's very convenient.

One of the new things I like to do is send one sim on the town and the other one either stay home or go to a different location in town, and then flip back and forth between the two, you could never do this before and it's fun to be able to multi-task like that.

Two major complaints have cropped up. My game crashed on me last night but luckily I had saved 40 minutes after playing and didn't have that much to redo (in fact I didn't like how one event turned out anyway). My other one is that the super fast speed is much slower than previous Sims games and when everyone is at work or sleeping you have to wait around for far too long in real time. Maybe this is done because when you're at work now you have the opportunity to change how hard you're working?

Anyway, I recommend trying it for a bit longer, once you get a couple "opportunities" and special social options you might like it more?
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I just bought it two days ago as a birthday present for myself. :D

I like it. I have yet to dig deeper into it to form a proper opinion, but from what I have seen and experienced I liked.

I'm with you on the season's part because I just got that recently (by recently I meant two years ago) and I fell in love with it and now it's gone :(

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Whoa, it's the third wave already?

We used to be avid players during the first game and got all its multiple expansions. It ended up glitchy as hell, and became so resource intensive that the machine actually broke down a couple of times no thanks to the game. For a game that wasn't heavy on graphics, it sure hogged up a lot of resources.

So we never got into Sims 2... We did pick a few of the non-PC releases here and there though, but they weren't the same.
XIII

Post by XIII »

Aww man I really wish I got a computer that can handle games like these but unfortunately I don't xP (can't even run CS:Source without hitting problems xD)

From what Oppenheimer is saying though, it seems like this game is really fun. Makes me want to invest on a decent desktop that can handle some good games lol...
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Did they keep the whole 'having your own car' bit?

I would wait til I can get home and play it (I won't be home for another 2-3 weeks), but the suspense is killing me.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes they did. Not only can you have your own car, you can put it in your inventory which results in the sim walking to the street and then using the keyless entry to summon the car from out of nowhere. You can also buy a bike or just jog where you want to go if it's close enough.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

LOVE the Sims 2. I have all the expansions for it. I play it all the time.

I am not wanting to get Sims 3. It seems like it would have a lot of aspects I wouldn't like. Like for instance, I heard that all Sims age at the same time, regardless of if you are playing as them or not. I *like* being able to turn the aging off on certain Sims! And being able to play as some, and have the others stay the same.
Purr.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well, you can still manually turn off aging in Sims 3, although I'm not sure if that turns them off for everyone or not. I haven't tried it as I like the idea of everyone aging at the same time. It used to bother me when a mother would end up being younger then her son when I played him a lot more in a different household.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Oppenheimer wrote:Yes they did. Not only can you have your own car, you can put it in your inventory which results in the sim walking to the street and then using the keyless entry to summon the car from out of nowhere. You can also buy a bike or just jog where you want to go if it's close enough.
0_0 seriously!?
That's frakkin sweet!

I think I'm going to love playing this one.

-Lorelai Gilmore
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Oppenheimer wrote:Well, you can still manually turn off aging in Sims 3, although I'm not sure if that turns them off for everyone or not. I haven't tried it as I like the idea of everyone aging at the same time. It used to bother me when a mother would end up being younger then her son when I played him a lot more in a different household.
True. I guess that never mattered with me. I can't stand children... I killed off all of the ones in-game.

:P
Purr.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Ah well you may have issues with the new game then, it seems to have parenthogenesis for NPCs. In other words the game will create babies for single people that aren't being played by you in order to continue family lines.

It was really disturbing when my male character's boyfriend, who lives only with his elderly mother, suddenly had a baby daughter living with him too.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Oppenheimer wrote:Ah well you may have issues with the new game then, it seems to have parenthogenesis for NPCs. In other words the game will create babies for single people that aren't being played by you in order to continue family lines.

It was really disturbing when my male character's boyfriend, who lives only with his elderly mother, suddenly had a baby daughter living with him too.
That's ridiculous! Another reason to just keep playing Sims 2.

You CAN kill the offspring, can't you?
Purr.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

You can never kill children. If you mistread children under your control (ie. not when you're just over there visiting them) they get taken away by social services.

You may be able to delete them from the neibourhood just through managing families option. I haven't tried it yet.