Captain Tenneal

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by Captain Tenneal »

Well if it comes down to it .... code breaker! :lol:
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Blutigengel wrote:XII's story is pretty unremarkable imo due to young, interesting main characters (I did like Balthier, but not enough to make me want to finish the game and see what happens to him. I get the feeling that he's a flat character anyway, though I could be wrong since I haven't looked up a plot summary) and well, just a pretty weak plot overall. The lack of an interesting main character and annoying female counterpart are a big con.
That, was the whole premise of the plot. Instead of focusing too much on the lead characters and their relationships for so long (VIII, IX, X), they decided to focus more on the setting with nations at war and world building, etc. They are the way they are by design, and I guess they do emulate the lack of focus on individual characters from MMORPGs quite well. It shouldn't be seen as a flaw just because it's different from their recent offerings.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Admittedly, I am a sucker for character development. I like a good plot that eventually delves into the major characters' psyches at some point, which in turn ties into the plot's course.

That said, I wouldn't have minded something new, but XII's political plot just wasn't interesting. Right away, it plunges into a long, boring history lesson about nations that the player hasn't heard of in any prior installments and leaders that have no emotional tie to the player (with the exception of Ashe). By the time it's over, it's hard to remember who was who and which country fought with which because so much information if given at once and much of it is irrelevant at the time. It really gives no real reason for the player to care about what is going on, since it doesn't delve deeply enough into the characters to show the real human pain that the wars are causing (with the exception of Ashe, again). It would have also been nice if the main character were older and had more of a connection to the political schemes, as well as a bigger understanding as to what was going on. I couldn't care less about his personal relationships, but it would have been nice if Vaan had some political relationships (other than his late brother) that made him more relevant to the plot.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Then again, the same could be said of the entire Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series and Final Fantasy Tactics.

It's the Matsuno style: More focus on politics than character development. After all, one human life isn't worth much in the end (notable key characters have been killed off like cattle in his games).
Formerly known as: Gothann
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I did like FFTactics (never played Ogre Battle) but that was due more to the gameplay rather than the plot. Honestly, there were so many NPCs that I didn't care about that I had a tough time remembering who was who, but the great battle system and job class system made up for it, as well as the major characters such as Agrias and Orlandu. XII's battle system didn't strike my fancy enough to make up for it in a similar way.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

In my opinion, FFT has one of the best plots I've ever played, rivaling even the Suikodens. There are a lot of NPCs, but in my opinion, that's what makes the plot more believable.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well, the origional Tactics was tricky to follow, but the updated and retranslated tactics for the PSP was excellent. The origional translation was quite the engrish mess. I like the faux old english of the new one.
Captain Tenneal

So if I have the original tactics, it would be worth getting it for PSP? I do remember the dialogue/plot being a bit wacky...
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I would get it. There's new artistic sequences as well as two new levels and two new classes, plus multi-player (if you have a friend who also owns it). However, the big drawback is that there is slow down for the graphics but not the sound causing unsync in the casting of spells and use of abilities, this will be very noticeable if you've spent much time with the original. I have friends that have decided not to play the new version solely because of this. I would still recommend it as it didn't bother me, but then I haven't played much of the original because back in the day it was too nonsensical for me.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Captain Tenneal wrote:So if I have the original tactics, it would be worth getting it for PSP? I do remember the dialogue/plot being a bit wacky...
I have the original and I got the PSP version for the newer classes and new optional characters. I'm having a lot of fun with it, despite the fact that I already beat the original 3 times. Somehow that game never gets old. The new translation is very well done, though some of the names have changed. The only thing that irks me are the changed names of spells and abilities, since I'm so used to the old ones and sometimes forget what the newer names correspond to.
Captain Tenneal

Great, I think I'll pick it up in the near future.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

I did remember that the translation was a mess. I think I even meant to say something about that in my post, but just forgot to. But the basic thing (which I like) about the plot is easy to notice: that the hero of the war doesn't always 'win'. This is why I say that it rivals the Suikodens. I like it when main characters have to actually suffer in order to win. The fact that Ramza is basically excommunicated and banished, even though he saved everyone's butt is tragic and beautiful. Basically, I'm a sucker for a tragedy (and I mean the literary definition, not just sad).
avenger

Post by avenger »

the game looks good but from what i hear, it may not be a nice play. i'll just have to wait and buy it and then play it ... but i have a fealing i may end up returning it..
final fantasy has lost a lot over the years.. i think this series needs help..
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

So I've been cyber stalking this guy on youtube because (of his ADORABLE accent..errr...) he has the japanese imported version...

And from what I've seen, I can say this:

You can only control one individual at a time. Early on you are forced to control just that person (i.e. Lightening during her little shindig and Snow during his) but later on they'll allow you to pick the guy or gal you want to control.

You can customize the AI's like before, only it's a little different. Since there is no 'gambit system' (which I loved) they just do whatever abilities that are within whichever "Optima Change" thingy they're currently on. (Example: you can change Vanille -- in battle -- from being a blaster to a healer, from a healer to an enhancer). Doing so would cause them to use different abilities.

There's this thing (I can't read Japanese so I don't know the name for it) but it's like FF12's license board..it allows you to use CP for new abilities.

If the player dies...it's game over. The AI cannot use a phoenix down or life on you...so whomever you're controlling needs to stay alive.

I know I'm gonna love this.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Did they steal a page from Persona 3's original mechanics? Main character dying leads to game-over, AI party members limited to only formulaic tactics. Eh.

I thought the Gambits were a step in the right direction, as far as better management of AI-controlled party members are concerned. Too bad they ditched that for this less reliable yet unbelievably popular style.