Final Fantasy XIII

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
avenger

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by avenger »

i probably might end up getting my money back from what i am hearing thusfar.. i just , what happened to squaresoft> they used to pump out good games.. now they ate up enix, and ea. now they think they can put out trash. i do believe star ocean last hope is better then final fantasy 13. and front mission evolved i hear has been demoted to a third person shooter!!! why? WHY?

BUT i'll still get the ff13 just so see how it is... by the way, ffvs13 should be better and agito 13 i hear is good.. the battle system for agito is a lot like crisis core's.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

patapi wrote:Did they steal a page from Persona 3's original mechanics? Main character dying leads to game-over, AI party members limited to only formulaic tactics. Eh.

I thought the Gambits were a step in the right direction, as far as better management of AI-controlled party members are concerned. Too bad they ditched that for this less reliable yet unbelievably popular style.
I have no idea. I'm slightly hating the whole "You die = game over" bit. While it does implement a sort of challenge, it will most likely get extremely frustrating at times.

I did love gambits...though people complained about them, I thought it was an incredible way to "control" your AI's. Once I took 5 minutes to actually master it, it because the greatest asset.

While this system is slightly less reliable than gambits, the fact that you can change what "stance" the person does while in battle would be of great help..though I'm not entirely sure how it works yet. But it would be kinda frustrating to not be able to set WHEN I want Character A to put protect on me...But I will say that if you scan an enemy and it appears that he/she/undecided likes to use water attacks, Character A (if set to Enhancer) would use a water repellent-like ability on you so you'd take less damage...IF they've learned it.
With a scanned enemy, they AI would also automatically attack their weaknesses if they've learned whatever their weakness is.

I forgot to mention that since you can't use magic outside of battle, your HP heals automatically after a battle.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

patapi wrote:Did they steal a page from Persona 3's original mechanics? Main character dying leads to game-over, AI party members limited to only formulaic tactics. Eh.
That was one of the few things I hated about Persona 3 and 4. Why do developers think that's a good idea? I didn't know this game could possibly sound less appealing.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I find Sqeenix to be quite funny this generation. Not in the good way.

"We can't make towns so we put you in a long corridor instead." Good job, why make an effort when the alternative is a lot easier.

"It's linear so you can enjoy the story!" Why even bother having battles then when you could just make a continous movie. At this point I think I'll just download all the cutscenes and walk up and down my own hallway with my laptop instead.

Especially in their response to generally lower scores given by western reviewers are hilarious when they say that the reviews look at Final Fantasy XIII from a western point of view as though they shouldn't yet they have Leona Lewis doing the sound track.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes Squeenix should just re-release FFVII with modern graphics and then close down their company.

It's mind bloggling how a company can go from getting everything right and being a pioneer to buying out an equally good company and having nothing to show from it.

Although, so far their reviews seem fairly positive from what I've seen. Metacritic has them at 85% or something. Not that it matters, FFXII got good reviews and it was terrible.
Eden

Post by Eden »

Oppenheimer wrote:Yes Squeenix should just re-release FFVII with modern graphics and then close down their company.

It's mind bloggling how a company can go from getting everything right and being a pioneer to buying out an equally good company and having nothing to show from it.

Although, so far their reviews seem fairly positive from what I've seen. Metacritic has them at 85% or something. Not that it matters, FFXII got good reviews and it was terrible.
Yes, to all of this, although I would prefer a remake of VIII over VII ^^
They once stood for quality and now I am always terrified to learn about a new game they make. Furthermore, FFXII was the first Final Fantasy game I stopped playing. It was so disappointing to me that I won't buy any new game they create unless someone I trust tells me it is okay :-D
The Fool
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I loved FFXII.
Oppie. You break my heart. :/

But I've seen vids of FFXIII, it ain't all straight lines.
But then again FFX was linear. I mean, come on...sure there were a few squares but mostly it was a straight line...just a giant straight line. But I must say, I'm not a fan of the no towns thing. It reminds me of Xenosaga II (but they also cut out shops completely...bad idea pals) and I love towns. I get lonely when there are no people to chat aimlessly with. Sad panda.

If they're gonna remake, make it 8. I loved that one. 7 had too many remakes and I'm tired of it.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I loved FFXII.

make it 8. I loved that one.
I find it interesting that two of the FF's you love are the ones that don't have any story attached to them.
7 had too many remakes and I'm tired of it.
A remake is when you make the game over with a new graphics engine and possibly add stuff to it.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Silly rabbit.

-Lorelai Gilmore
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

You also are a big fan of White Knight Chronicles right? Let's just say I don't think we have the same tastes when it comes to RPGs.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Not really a "fan" of White Knight Chronicles.
I was a fan...before it came out and I actually played through it. But the online part is rather fun. . .

But with FF12..yeah I'm a fan.

-Lorelai Gilmore
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

Oppenheimer wrote:Let's just say I don't think we have the same tastes when it comes to RPGs.
I find this statement hilarious on a message board devoted to an RPG series that you both love. :lol:
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I find this statement hilarious on a message board devoted to an RPG series that you both love. :lol:
The fact that they have 5 games in common is not an indication that they have same tastes as that would probably not even amount to 0.5% of the total RPG market.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:
The fact that they have 5 games in common is not an indication that they have same tastes as that would probably not even amount to 0.5% of the total RPG market.
Are you this fun at parties too?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Are you this fun at parties too?
Probably. Why? Are you having one?