Final Fantasy XIII

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
EternalOnslaught

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Yeah, a remake of FFVII would be nice, but they give the same excuse as they give FFXIII, that making towns with such high end graphics is too difficult if not impossible.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Iesous wrote:
Oppenheimer wrote:Let's just say I don't think we have the same tastes when it comes to RPGs.
I find this statement hilarious on a message board devoted to an RPG series that you both love. :lol:
Ironic!

lol nah, but he'll change him mind one day.
It wouldn't be the first time I've converted someone to loving FF12 like I do.
...this will be a lot of work though.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

So it's out now, everyone seems to be drooling over it everywhere I go. Does anyone who also hated FFXII have it and like it?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

I was thinking about getting it. But I realized that I haven't actually enjoyed a FF game since VI, and as of X the experience has been horrid, so whenever I felt the pull to go out and buy it I had to remind myself of that.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I know exactly what you mean (except I liked VII). But, I keep buying them like a fool hoping that things will improve, and yet they actually steadily get worse so far. Stupid reviews are so deceiving. They say things like it's got a great story that touches the heart, and that would be great, but it's probably just a bunch of melodrama.
daoster

Post by daoster »

You guys are crazy, X (combined with X-2) was probably my favorite FF!

What didn't you like about FFXII, Oppenheimer? Maybe I can answer whether or not you'd like this game or not.

This was made by the X team though, so chances are, since you guys hate the best FF so much, then you'd probably not care for XIII.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

What I didn't like about FFXII:
  • The dungeon crawling,
    the grinding to get good items to sell to get any money,
    the monster hunting,
    the characters (except Balthier) but especially the kids were all one dimensional,
    the genericness of the jobs (anyone can be any class),
    the fact you have to buy magic,
    the limit break mini-game thing,
    the fact that you have to learn how to equip items and then buy rights to equip them and then get the item
    the plot was so slow moving and didn't really matter to me at all. All the judges looked the same
    the battle system was too MMORPG for my taste, not enough control, gambits are awful because you didn't have access to full control at first and had to buy better options.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head. There really isn't much of anything I did like.

Edit: Oh and was FFX your first FF? Did you start playing them back on the SNES? Because people who started with FFX often think it's the best but if you started earlier you'd have a different perspective. Oddly I did kind of like X-2 for a spin off anyway, Yuna's unbridled enthusiasm was a bit catchy. FFX wasn't nearly as bad as FFXII but it's no FFVI.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

My first FF was FFVII.
BUT my favorites are FFVIII and FFX

I don't think they're the best, I just liked them. I like them all (except FFI, FFII, and FFIII...don't get me started on why. I can go on for days.)

I enjoyed FFX-2 although we're having a fight right now because of one stupid mistake I made that lead me to a permanent 99% (jerk).

I loved FFXII for most of the reasons why you hated it (besides the whole grinding to get good items, I hated that. and the whole learning to equip items before you can little shindig. And money is very hard to come by if you don't chain monsters for hours. I reaaaaaaaally hated that. Still do.)

I like the not having job classes because I created my own. For once I wasn't forced with the typical 'main character with a sword' bit. I got to make them into things I wanted. It was a nice change from the whole "Main guy is a sword user and his love interest is a white mage" thing.

But! I also hate that you can make them into anything you want...because I spend hours trying to come up with new job classes (I'm very CDO about these things). And the most annoying is Penelo. I tried to make her a mage, but when holding a staff she looks like she's about to play baseball. That annoys me.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
daoster

Post by daoster »

I'm not really far into the game yet, so I won't be able to be able to address story/character type concerns but...:
  • The dungeon crawling, - Yeap
    the grinding to get good items to sell to get any money, - Not far enough to know yet...however, this is a staple of a lot of RPGs..
    the monster hunting, - I think there might be a mini-game like that, but it's not required (nor was it required in FFXII, I think!)
    the genericness of the jobs (anyone can be any class), - This was fixed in the International (European version) of FFXII, where characters DID have classes! As far as XIII goes, from what I've played, yeah, probably any character can learn most of the abilities, BUT, certain characters are better for certain "classes".
    the fact you have to buy magic, - Not far enough to know yet...but a lot of RPGS (Final Fantasy included) have you buy magic, XII's was nothing new.
    the fact that you have to learn how to equip items and then buy rights to equip them and then get the item - Nope
    the battle system was too MMORPG for my taste, not enough control, gambits are awful because you didn't have access to full control at first and had to buy better options. - Well, you'll probably hate this battle system then, since you have LESS control over other characters...other than your head character, the other two are AI controlled (though you can tell the AI what to do). It's kinda hard to explain, though
All signs point to NO, you probably wouldn't like FFXIII

Oppenheimer wrote:Edit: Oh and was FFX your first FF? Did you start playing them back on the SNES? Because people who started with FFX often think it's the best but if you started earlier you'd have a different perspective.
Uh no, FFX wasn't my first FF, I started playing Final Fantasy since the original on NES, so weeee
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
lungfish

Post by lungfish »

The one thing I truly love about the game (seeing that the 'linear-ness' of the game so far doesn't bother me) is the Datalog, and the way it works as a way of delving deeper into the story.
It's a perfect companion device and makes the game seem fuller, even only 3 hours in.
The freedom the Paradigm Shifts bestow makes fighting refreshingly exciting.
I love how each fight can be entirely different than the last one and how each enemy or cluster of enemies sort of beg for a certain Paradigm lineup.

So far, so good.
lungfish

Post by lungfish »

RangerDeon wrote: My first FF was FFVII.

BUT my favorites are FFVIII and FFX

I don't think they're the best, I just liked them. I like them all

(except FFI, FFII, and FFIII...don't get me started on why. I can go on for days.)
when you say I, II, and III, do you mean I, IV and VI?
if so, that's a shame (maybe not so much FFI, but IV and definitely VI)
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

He's probably talking about the GBA/PS1 remake of II and the DS remake of III. I can share those sentiments. I'm glad the originals kept the series going, but the remakes leave something to be desired this day and age. I couldn't even bear 20 minutes of II.
Iesous

Post by Iesous »

I played ff7 first. After that, I can't really remember the exact details, but I played 8, 9 and 1(NES) right around the same time. I also played 10 and 10-2. My brother owns 12, but I haven't played it. I think Square was really stupid when they made 11 MMORPG. I basically just lost interest in the series because I hadn't played it in several years. So, I probably won't ever play 12 or 13 or any number after that.

BTW, I thought that 10 was the best. I thought 7 was a good story, but I don't normally like how just about any character can do anything just about as well as anyone else. Same problem with 8 minus a good story (imo). 9 and 1 had the good job class, but I don't really remember the story for 9 and obviously 1's story was pretty shallow. 10 finally put together what I thought was a good story with specific job classes with strengths and weaknesses. I originally thought that X-2 was good, but now I think it sucks. Story was way too shallow and don't even get me started on Rikku. She was actually a decent, well-written and deep character in the original and they just totally destroyed those aspects in the sequel.

Oh yeah, Tactics was the best Final Fantasy ever. Far and away the best story. And I would probably say it had the best class system. Not to mention the unique classes. The only problem was the poor translation in places.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I was referring to the remakes.

I liked FFIV and FFVI

-Lorelai Gilmore
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yes Final Fantasy Tactics was extremely awesome. The remake on the PSP with the re-translation especially. It's a pity the Gameboy spin offs are so dreadful.

I'm still undecided on FFXIII, at best I'll wait until the price drops before I get it. Perhaps I'll actually rent a game for once and try it that way. I haven't done that in years.