Final Fantasy IV DS

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Belcoot4

Final Fantasy IV DS

Post by Belcoot4 »

Well everyone I feel FFIV is one of the greatest games of all time and I thought it was impossible for remake to be better than original but IV for the DS is amazing. My question is: Has anyone beaten the Proto-Babil? I have all of the Onion and adamant equipment and all of the augments.Also, all of my characters are at level 99. I'm guessing I didn't distribute the augments appropiately or maybe I'm using the wrong tactics. So if anyone has any suggestions I'm open to try them.
"Even the dead reveal their secrets to me." Yuber

"I have not lived long enough to become a myth." Chris Lightfellow

"They betrayed us and fled. Cowards." Zegai
Icegryphon
Banned User

Re: Final Fantasy IV DS

Post by Icegryphon »

Well speaking of augments, I know you need to do very specific things to get the best ones. And I think you can't get them till your second or third playthrough.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

No I haven't bothered with the extra bosses, I couldn't be bothered grinding that much. I'm not big on extra bosses anyway, I like plot bosses better.

Well, you do level up from level 70 according to the augments you have equipped so you need certain ones equipped to get everyon'e stats to 99 in all areas. Adamant armour and curse rings will give you elemental absorptions but I don't know if that's good for proto or just geryon. Try going to GameFAQs boards they have lots of tips there.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

Yeah I'm too into the plot bosses more but since I beat it a bunch of times when it was on SNES it was one of the main things I was looking foward to in the remake. I used the cursed rings on Geryon but not on the Proto-Babil, to be honest I didn't even last long enough to even notice any elemental attacks just his lazer attack that is devastating. I did look at some faqs when it came to the augments and getting the best armor but I guess I'm going to have to find one thats more tactical.

Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Hmm, just got this game a few days ago but haven't started it yet. Is it that much better than the PS port aside from the cut scenes and voice acting?
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

It's better in every way. it's a Remake not a Port. It has new graphics, redesigned abilities, new abilities, voice acting. It's in 3D now instead of 2D. It's the best DS game I've ever played.

But I recommend you read online about how augments work and how getting augments out of temporary party members works before you start playing as you can miss out on a lot of new abilities if you just play it casually.
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Awesome, now I look forward to playing it. And thanks for the heads up on the augment thing, I'll look into that!
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

The New Game+ plus limited to only three cycles including the first game irked me about this remake. What a strange design choice.
Belcoot4

Post by Belcoot4 »

patapi wrote:The New Game+ plus limited to only three cycles including the first game irked me about this remake. What a strange design choice.

I thought the same... I think any new game + for any game should be unlimited. I'm going to look over some of the faqs again in detail and replay it again even though getting all that armor and stuff is a pain. Still has anyone beaten the Proto-Babil?

Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

A Malaysian magazine(GameAxis) gave the game 8.0 or 8.5.They said that the voices were quite bad.
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Really? Compared to Tierkreis, the voices are great, though that isn't saying much. They don't make me want to turn down the volume during a cut scene, so they're good enough for me. Still, an 8.0-8.5 rating is quite good, and bad voices shouldn't detract from a good story and solid gameplay that much.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I have heard that complaint before. The dialogue is overblown but the delivery only matches that. I see no problem with the voice acting. But still 8-8.5 is a very good score nonetheless.
Noraibah
Banned User
Location: Kuala Lumpur[ Kota Kinabalu, Sabah ],Wilayah Perseketuan,Malaysia

Post by Noraibah »

Actually they said this:Clearly,this one is made for fans who thought the first few remakes were not masochistic enough and that you should buy the gameboy version instead;score:7.0!
I made a mistake since I bought the book during September last year which was quite a while ago.They did not complain about the voices.... :oops:
I love this forum............to death.I think dying is normal.Just ignore me!
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I think the remake is quite good. I've never played the NES version, but I played the PS version (which was just a port, right?) and didn't enjoy it too much. I'm enjoying the DS one much more, it seems to have more of a fun factor with the mini-games, augments, updated graphics and voices. Or maybe my tastes have just changed, as it's been years since I've played the PS version. Either way, I'm glad I bought it despite already technically owning it.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

As a strict fan of the original game (SNES USType and the SFC HardType) I was pretty disappointed in FFIVDS. Even compared to FFIVA, its added features to the actual gameplay were meager compared to the entire extra dungeon in the GBA enhancement.

Must have something to do with my being too used to the game having a certain layout and enemy count. The maximum enemy count was lowered (and rebalanced) for FF4DS, but that also cost it some of the pretty unique "holy crap, that's a lot of enemies" effects some battles had.
Formerly known as: Gothann