Super Robot Taisen OG

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Super Robot Taisen OG

Post by Icegryphon »

Okay so I just saw that this was coming out today (supposed to ship yesterday) and I was so happy cause it looks rad and it's already out, so I call up my local Gamestop to ask if they have a copy and guess what? It hasn't shipped yet!

Apparently it was supposed to ship yesterday but they withheld it for whatever reason...the employees at Gamestop figured it was because they didn't get enough preorders. So I was totally stoked to go get it and it's not out. However, they say that it might be out tomorrow as this happens sometimes.

If you don't know about the Super Robot Wars games, they're basically the best strategy RPGs ever made. The problem is that in Japan the same company owns the rights to all the different robots from all the different shows. However, different American companies have bought the rights to the various shows to air them in the US and so to bring the normal Super Robot Wars games over here would basically be impossible as is evidenced by the fact that we have never gotten one.

To combat this, the OG (or Original Generation) Super Robot Wars games were invented and basically the robots in them are completely "original" therefore no one has claims to them except the makers of the games and therefore they can be brought out everywhere.

The couple of installments were kind of crappy and the series got a bad name but the last few have been monumentally epic and this one looks fantastic. The Super Robot Wars games have been known for their insane sprite manipulation and fantastic battle animations. So I'm very stoked and sad that I couldn't go pick up a copy today. here's hoping it hits tomorrow.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/Product ... t_id=73959

Check out the video midpage...it's focking phenomenal.
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Super Robot Taisen OG

Post by patapi »

I'm still waiting for the English version of OGS and OGG, and instead they brought over Endless Frontier. Looking at the trailer, there seems to be hardly any focus on actual robots?

Bounce, bounce... sigh, fanservice sure sells.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

It's supposed to be pretty rad and actually the only problem any of the reviewers had is that in the beginning there aren't many giant robots. It's implied that this changes once you get past the beginning.

I'm fine with it, the fights look rad.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Okay I just got it and have played for less than an hour and already I'm focking blown away. The battles are phenomenal as are the sprite based graphics and the anime representations of the characters. It feels a lot like Cowboy Bebop too. Also, if you like seeing a ton (and i do mean a TON) of cleavage, you'll love this game.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Best mistranslation ever:

"Arisu in Wonderland...Heh."
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I'm falling asleep because of the game. The battles animation started out fun, but after the nth random encounter, it gets boring fast. If they are going to make randoms this frequent and easy, they should have copied over Tierkreis' auto command as well while they're at it.

That aside, I notice the leads sharing surnames with ATX team's Kyosuke and Excellen. Nice touch there, even if the fact that this Nanbu princess is probably based of that Alteisen guy is a bit disturbing.

Guess I'll give it another go tomorrow morning. Otherwise, I might just go back to Covenant of the Plume for now. Or the recently released SRW K for a REAL SRW experience?
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I like it. I think the battles are fun. They're not that easy...they get easy when you get supports but jeez the boss fights are tough.

I love the dialogue, it's very well done, most all of the translation is spectacular.

Oh and I heard Covenant of the Plume was no bueno.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

I'm in that chessboard-esque castle in Elfetale, and even normal battles take forever now. And, the enemies sure hit hard. Healing is such a mess, what's with the limited inventory space as well as SP-intensive Spirit spells.

I still like Covenant of the Plume better, for now. Sinning had never been this rewarding, ya?
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

The random battles can be quite hard. I like that you hve limited inventory, because it's cool that you gotta use your items and it's tough and you gotta restock after dungeons.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Yeah, I find myself restocking every 5 battles or so. 15 is simply too little.

Which characters are you using in your party?
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Well I was doing it so that i was switching to whoever had the lowest level but i can't stand Suzuka...she sucks and has the most annoying voice ever.

My favorite guy is Haken, he's fantastic. I also really like Kaguya, her 100% heal to the group and curing status ailments along with her above-average attack makes her great. Then I really like the other 4 almost equally but I find myself using KOS-MOS and Anschen more often. I really hate Anschen's support attack, but the other 3 have great support attacks.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

One thing i'd like to mention...i'm pretty sure you can escape battles 100% of the time.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

You can edit posts for afterthoughts actually, so no need for double posting. ;)

Yeah, escaping is close to 100% but not always. Based on others' experience though, the battles do get significantly easier once you grind for a few more levels, so I suppose escaping is only recommended when you are walking out of the dungeon for restocking and heal, etc.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I definitely suggest picking your 4 favorites and keeping them in your party with the best equipment. The extra levels they get from getting all the exp really makes the difference. I hate Suzuka in your main party or as a support but I'd rather have her as support.

I really wish that Xiaomu actually got some kind of attack magic. They call her a badass magician but her spirits aren't that fantastic and she doesn't get any attack magic. Oh well.