Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment announced for PSN & XBLA

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
LanceHeart

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment announced for PSN & XBLA

Post by LanceHeart »

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-3707 ... o-PSN-XBLA

I'm extremely happy to see the franchise be revived. VH1 is among my favorite Fire Emblem-esque games and VH2 drained a lot of my time back when I wasn't playing Suikoden. Let's hope this game doesn't end up like Vandal Hearts DS, though the game having a subtitle and a screenshot up could definitely be a good sign.

Also, it looks like they won't be moving away from the square panels for movement. They might take some cues from Suikoden Tactics and incorporate some of the stuff that was introduced in it.

Can't wait for September.

EDIT: This caught my eye...
http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/vandalh ... id=6207814
The events of Vandal Hearts will take place before the original game, and newcomers will find that this is an excellent starting point if you're new to the series. For those who are familiar with the previous two games, there will be story elements that will provide more insight into the original storyline, given that this was made with the fans in mind.
I find it ironic that they make a third game ten years after the last one with the fans in mind, yet Suikoden Tierkreis gave little reason for established fans to pick it up...

EDIT2: Press release info that nobody cared to put up in their previews...
Source: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2009/153.html
Konami Digital Entertainment announced that Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment, the first next-generation installment for the classic tactical RPG series, will be available on Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PLAYSTATION®Network. Featuring newly designed mechanics, Flames of Judgment combines the speedy RPG pace of the original with top-notch visual presentation. The rich storyline expands the universe further serving as the prequel to the original Vandal Hearts.

On the continent of Sostegaria, two rival kingdoms stand on the brink of war. Caught in the tide of battle is young orphan Tobias Martin. Driven to defend his homeland, and to avenge those already fallen, Tobias enlists with his comrades to fight for peace. But all is not what it seems, and they face a threat far deadlier - and closer - than they know. As the massive battle unfolds across expansive environments, players will experience party members adapting to their style of gameplay broadened by a deep range of character customization options.

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment will be released for Xbox LIVE Arcade for Xbox 360 in August 2009 and the PLAYSTATION®Network in September 2009.
EDIT 3: Logo, character art is up.
Source: Meristation http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_avanc ... db&pic=360
Translated Source: http://translate.google.com/translate?j ... ry_state0=

Last edited by LanceHeart on Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Lemmy Claypool

Re: Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment announced for PSN & XBLA

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Perhaps it'll tell the story of Arris' revolution that's touched on in the first game. I'd be happy with that personally.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Haven't played VH in a long time and have never completed VH 2 (it's a bit odd, imo)... but I was really angry when they cancelled VH DS. And I don't have a PS 3 or a XBOX, so I guess I won't play the game^^
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

I played and loved VH1. I just played it about a year ago and loved it just as much as I did over a decade ago.

I absolutely hated VH2. I played only for a couple of hours and had to stop.

So if this one is like VH1, I'm stoked. ^_^
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i didn't like VH1 too much but i finished it. VH2 i tried for a few minutes and thought it was weird (moving at the same time, guessing where to attack?)
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I'm excited now :) I would definitely like to hear more about Arris the Sage's revolution. Also, I need more RPGs for my PS3.

I actually liked Vandal Hearts II, unlike many people. Guessing where enemies were going to move and who they would attack was usually pretty easy.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

VH2's AI was very predictable in most cases, but in some story battles the AI was hard-coded differently just to throw you off the first few times.

Anyway, here's hoping they give us a Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis-esque not-really-a-prequel-until-the-very-end game or something of that sort.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

What system is Vandal Hearts 2 for? I absolutely loved Vandal Hearts 1, in fact it was the first strategy rpg, I've ever played before. Ah memories.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Both Vandal Hearts 1 & 2 are for the PSOne.
Jack of All Trades

Post by Jack of All Trades »

Thanks for the info.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Updated the main post with the press release. Looks like Gamespot wasn't lying about the game being made for fans first.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

KoRnholio wrote:I'm excited now :) I would definitely like to hear more about Arris the Sage's revolution. Also, I need more RPGs for my PS3.

I actually liked Vandal Hearts II, unlike many people. Guessing where enemies were going to move and who they would attack was usually pretty easy.
Seconded. As much as I love the first game I prefer the second.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

New update: Logo is up, character designs are up.

Edit: Screenshots are HD huge. Since Photobucket doesn't like that and I hate imageshack... Just visit Meristation for them.
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

Is it me, or is some of the Suikoden character design creeping into this game? The characters (at least in the original VH - I can't even remember any characters from the second) from the series are standard WRPG fare. I don't remember any characters that stylized from Vandal Hearts.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Judging from the HD screens, they're obviously using the Suikoden Tactics system and adapting it for Vandal Hearts. It's interesting, actually, since I always thought ST should have been the third Vandal Hearts game instead of an extension of Suikoden IV.