[DS] Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

[DS] Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled

Post by KFCrispy »

Another original DS RPG is coming out soon: Black Sigil. It has graphics similar to that of Chrono Trigger, and positioning is important for attacks (it may be more like Lunar games if characters automatically move around). The main character is one of the few who can't use magic in his world, and although he sounds weak and is beaten when other knights training with him use magic, some powerful non-magic person almost took over da world not too long ago so ppl distrust him. yeah weird plot, but the game looks fun!
Icegryphon
Banned User

Re: [DS] Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled

Post by Icegryphon »

Not at all, sounds similar to the plot of the Darksword Trilogy (check it out, great fantasy series).
"You got whacked because you're weak." - Magus
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Touch screen, or no touch screen?

And this Trilogy thing, they are not games, are they?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

From the looks of it it's not exactly pushing any limits on the graphic front. It quite literally looks like they ripped the sprites out of Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger for the SNES.

Whole thing gives me the feeling of "fan-game amazingly found publisher".
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

The Darksword Trilogy are really good fantasy books. It's a trilogy that became a 4-part series (The fourth one came out like a decade after the third one). It's hard for me to say how truly good of a series it is because I first read it when I was in high school so now that I'm 27 I could just be insanely biased, but I like them immensely. I'm currently reading it again.

But the premise is that in the world everyone has magic (or Life) and a kid is born Dead (or without magic) and it freaks everyone out. That's obviously an insanely undetailed account of the first 20 pages of the first book but...I don't like spoiling things. But yeah, just was reminded of it by what the guy said about this game. I'll probably pick up this game solely based on the fact that it's similar to one of my favorite book series.

If you're into fantasy novels at all I'd highly recommend picking up the Darksword Trilogy (yes it's a foursome...but the first 3 are stand-alone...kinda. The fourth one takes place like 2 decades in the future and is a really cool way to wrap it up) or Rose of the Prophet trilogy (written by same authors, also really good stuff).
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Oh my god I'm pissed off! This game was slated to come out on the 12th (tomorrow) and I just went to Rpgamer.com to check it out to make sure I had the right date and sometime in the last 2-3 days (I was on that site 3 days ago) they changed the release date to 6/9. So annoying.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

The screens do look retro. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing (as long as it's not just a port of an old game), so I will keep my eye on the reviews.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

Why would you keep your eyes on reviews? Usually reviews are absolute crap. I've seen some of the best games out there get bad reviews and some of the worst get good reviews.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Reviews can be wrong for sure. I would never read just one review and buy based on its score.

It's not about just looking at the numeric value assigned to it in the end, but understanding what it's like to play it. For example, they may say "it's terrible, it's completely linear". Well, I like linear games and dislike games that are excessively "sandbox" as I get bored without direction and change, so I would take that as a good thing regardless of what the reviewer says.
Icegryphon
Banned User

Post by Icegryphon »

i've found recently that you can't even really rely on what reviewers say. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of reviewers (perhaps all) don't play the entire game, or any of it perhaps. Back in the day I totally agree with you, but the last 5 or so years it just seems you can't trust most reviewers.

The only ones that are really good are the user reviews, but those take awhile to get a good amount of them to read.