psx rpg reccomendation

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
chrislightfellow

psx rpg reccomendation

Post by chrislightfellow »

I am a huge fan of psx rpgs and i have been wondering, which ones are worth the high pricing?

my favorite games are the suikoden series so if there is anything similar to that, i'll probably like it.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: psx rpg reccomendation

Post by patapi »

High pricing?

Are you looking for high-priced recommendations, or just recommendations in general? I'm not familiar with the former beyond Suikoden II's deadly resale value as well as the official re-releases and ports on PSP and PSN, but the latter should be easy.
chrislightfellow

oh i don't only want rare reccomendations, i just assume they all are because playstation one rpgs always seem to automatically be expensive.

i just don't want to blindly search for rpgs and pay a lot of money for something that is overrated!
AngryDrgnRne

Post by AngryDrgnRne »

not sure if you would like it or not.

but one of my favs on the psx was Vagrant Story. It has a really good story to it and a fun battle system.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Star Ocean 2
Legend of Dragoon
the Final fantasy series
Grandia
Breath of Fire (you'll like these if you like Suikoden, evry oldschool)

These come to my mind if speaking of PSone RPGs, and with the exception of Legend of Dragon and Final Fantasy VII, none of these is too expensive.
chrislightfellow

really? breath of fire? i think i remember playing these for gba and not liking them much. but i WAS only like 8 years old and too stupid to figure things out... and i think it was i and ii, not three and four.

those are great suggestions, i'm going to try to get my hands on grandia next. i know it is a series, but is the series as good as the original?
That's another thing. i love suikoden and final fantasy both, and there are a number of great games. i've yet to find another series i conisder to be as good. however i haven't played many others yet.

what i'm really looking for is a great story. im finishing up with the chrono series, and chrono cross' story wouldn't let me stop playing!
kte03

Post by kte03 »

lawl, I remember playing Breath of Fire IV when I was like 7. I actually really liked it... too bad I had to leave my games when I moved to Canada (they were pirated, but I play original games now :wink: ).

The part I liked the most is how you switch character play as you progress through the story.

EDIT - But I don't get why you're looking for high-priced items. One of the reasons that SII is $100+ is 'cause it's out of print. Don't get me wrong, SII is my favorite RPG of all-time ... but prices aren't always the best indicators of games.
chrislightfellow

no, i'm not looking for expensive games. i just said that because some games ARE expensive, and i do not want to spend time hunting down something like that to find out it is not that good.

i don't care about the price but if a good game is expensive, i might still try to get it.
kte03

Post by kte03 »

haha I know what you mean xD I was like... I'm never gonna pay $100 freaking dollars for Suikoden II >_> No matter how good it is. Yet I ended up buying it for $118 xD Some games just are really worth it eh?

Uh.. also try, Ys: Ark of Naphistim, Tales of the Abyss, and the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 & 4. Idk if you're looking for PS2 but those are for PS2 at around like $50 each.
ThricebornPhoenix

Post by ThricebornPhoenix »

chrislightfellow wrote:really? breath of fire? i think i remember playing these for gba and not liking them much. but i WAS only like 8 years old and too stupid to figure things out... and i think it was i and ii, not three and four.
I haven't played IV, but I think III is much better than I and II, and I doubt anyone's charging much for it.
"Evil is always a distortion or an exaggeration of something that is good. People don't understand that now." - Gene Wolfe, an interview
BadPotato

Post by BadPotato »

lunar: eternal blue.. old one but I still love it.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

ThricebornPhoenix wrote:
chrislightfellow wrote:really? breath of fire? i think i remember playing these for gba and not liking them much. but i WAS only like 8 years old and too stupid to figure things out... and i think it was i and ii, not three and four.
I haven't played IV, but I think III is much better than I and II, and I doubt anyone's charging much for it.
IV is equally good as III (Story is not as good, but gameplay is better). Both are about 15$ on Ebay, I guess.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - think Zelda with incredible voice acting and story in a dark vampiric setting, and tons more loading time. If you don't mind the latter, it's an A+ game.
chrislightfellow

okay, well, i will narrow your guys' recommendations. i have a few rpgs i have yet to play, and i am wondering which has the best storyline.

star ocean 2 and 3
tales of destiny
alundra
Lunar 1 and 2

I just beat both the chrono games and i needed a new game, hence the start of this thread.
those were the games i was thinking about starting, i probably should have opened the thread that way.

which would you say has the best story?
or best gameplay/most fun?
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

If you like Zelda (gameplay-wise), play Alundra, it's about the same thing. I liked it, but on the other hand I haven't played it for years so I dont remember much of the story. But it's definitely a good game (should buy it again, too...). But dont play Aludnra 2, thats a bad game.

Star Ocean 2>Star Ocean 3, both dont have the most original plot, but SO 2 has better Gameplay (yet annoying voices in battle).