The World Ends With You: My review {buy it!}

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
son_michael

The World Ends With You: My review {buy it!}

Post by son_michael »

Yeah you guys need to get this game if you own a DS and if you dont own a DS... then you need to buy a DS so that you can buy this game.

what is the world ends with you?: its a revolutionary RPG on the DS

what is the story?: the story is about teenagers in tokyo japan getting forced to play a game with pins...if they dont they get erased form existence,somehow this ties into the end of the world or something I dont really know cause im not even halfway into the game

The Music/sounds: is repetitive but its like original japanese music you wouldn't normally hear so I love it, the sound effects have a very young funky fresh feeling to it{im not sure how else to explain it lol} the voices are bland but they dont talk much anyway so...

gameplay: The best part about this game is how much depth they put into it but for starters lets talk about basic gameplay. You go around walking with either the D pad or the stylist, you will run into invisible walls that cant be passed until you meet the objective. You can talk to people by tapping them with the stylist but only certain people intended for missions or if your partner has a "....." over there head. So you bassically walk in big confined area's either looking for clues on how to complete the mission{getting past the wall or sometimes other stuff} or fighting invisible enemies called "Noise". You have a shinigami pin which lets you read people's thoughts and see the Noise,right now I can actually implant thoughts into people's minds.

the main menu can be brought up and it has...ALOT of things but bassically the important stuff is your pin list and item/food stuff...everything else is not really that important{but great nonetheless!} and will get added later on in the game

Fighting the noise is where the revolutionary part comes in,you and your partner will be teleported to a different space and you will be on the bottom screen while your partner is on the top, but here's the catch...YOU CONTROL THEM BOTH{or you can set the cpu to control your partner but that's not fun...} You use the stylist to attack on the bottom screen and the D pad to attack on the top screen. Your main character cant attack unless he has "pins" equiped. Pins can be bought or given to you during the story or boss battles...of course were only talking about Tech pins,all other types of pins can be either bought or found in random battles.

So let me explain tech pins, each pin is a different stylus move. For example the fire pin which you start with is simply moving the stylist on an empty space and moving it in a line to create a row of fire,where as the slash pin is like you litterally slash away at the screen in a quick scribling motion.....force bullets are rapidly tapping the screen in the direction of the enemy but you have to tap away from them ect you get the idea. This is really innovative and the best part is the pins can get better,when you win battles you gain pin points and the pins will level up...some pins will actually evolve into different techs and other will simply make the reboot time on the pin get faster or more powerful damage ect ect. right now in my game im allowed to equip 4 pins at once so ive got a pin that weakens my enemies defense at the start of battle,my slash pin that can like get multiple enemies at once in rapid succession, my ice pillar pin that has instant reboot time and sends things flying in the air.. and my attk plus pin that gives me a bonus attack stat when battle starts.

Now keep in mind this is just for your main character...your partner has there own tech,they dont use pins at all. You use the D pad to combo hits and eventually you get the ability to combo attack with your main character on the bottom which hits all enemies and gives you alot of health. When you succesfully score multiple hits in quick succesiion your hit meter goes up and your combo will be passed to your other character and then they will have added attack strength and can keep the combo going passing green energy back and forth between both screens. Also this game keeps adding stuff,I just got the ability to jump with my top character so im sure im not telling you everything there is to tell.

Winning a battle awards you a ranking,the higher the rank the more pin points and drop rate of pins increases.

Other pins are like money{yen really} and rare pins that have special purposes that I dont know about yet :P you get 1 yen pins,500 yen pins ect ect and you put them in the recycle bin to cash them in for money,you can get these pins by winning battles but when you start the game and you suck{and believe me you will at first} the drop rate for these pins are low. You can increase game difficulty{lowering your health} to make the drop rate great,I have it on the highest difficulty and I get like 5 500 yen pins average. With money you can go to stores and buy food or Clothe's/accessories or stickers. Stickers are specifically related to your character and dont need to be equiped to take effect. You can equip up to 4 clothing or accessory items and they cant be on the same place for example you cant equip shoes and high heels since they both go on your feet. Each clothing/accessory has a brave requirment before you can wear it and usually posseses a special ability that you can only get when the store clerk tells you what it is. For instance you buy a hat for shiki and she can equip it because she has the brave requirement,she gets w/e stat increases+brand effect{ill explain that next dont you worry} but she cant use the ability if the store clerk didn't tell her. Store clerks will notice you looking at the items and tell you the abilities as freebies but in order to get more abilities on other items unlocked or for new items to appear you need to BUY BUY BUY and then the more you buy the more the clerk likes you and offers you new things.

there's also special quest buys that can only be bought by exchanging quest items

Food: Food actually needs to be digested after you eat it{several battles} when you consume food you need to

1. make sure your character likes it otherwise it could have a negative effect such as HP loss

2. carefully choose what to give your character cause they cant eat more than twice in a 24 hour time period{real life}

Food usually gives you an instant synchro rate increase for when its consumed and then later on when its digested you get the special property such as hp+10 or def+5 or synchro rate permanently increased by 50%{synchro rate is how easy it is to combo with your partner} Remember that consuming foods your character and partner dont like can negatively affect stats even though you get the food bonus after digestion

Brands: In the menu on the top screen you will see a list of different brand names on the top left,these brands are the designers of your clothe's, accessories and pins. Pay attention to the brands because if your wearing something thats unpopular your gonna get big stat decreases in battle where as if your wearing popular stuff youll get like 50+ attack double. Brands always change when you enter a new area so keep on top of it and constantly buy lots and lots of clothes{this is why you need to learn how to ace this game and set it on high difficulty so you can have a great drop rate to get DA yen!!}

other stuff I forgot to mention after you get a special sticker in the storyline you can shut the game off and then turn it back on within a period of 7 days and any pins you have equipped will gain massive pp and most deffinetley level up which means you dont have to go through an assload of battles to upgrade your pins.

As you progress through the game you can equip more pins,currently I have 4 per deck but I think the maximum is like 6.

the implanting thoughts into the other people's mind thing works like this....you find a character that has info you need,you read there mind and then get the "MEM" of w/e word you read and then know you can use this word whenever your given the option to implant words in people's minds. Sometimes the Noise posseses people and makes them forget stuff so you remind them by implanting words in there head

My Experience The game was HARD when I started it but now I have it on the hardest diffculty and I rake in the combo's and the money...my advice to you is PRACTICE when the game ask's you if you want to. Once you learn how the tech pin works with the stylis then just practice on the bottom screen and once you master that then focus on doing 2 things at once....its hard at first but youll get it..trust me. Your gonna be fighting alot of respawning enemies simply so you can get money....grinding bassically{but you dont have to}

ok so i think that covers everything

OVERALL

positives:excellent gameplay that revolutionizes games both with the battling and the food,clothes and brand systems....Music is nice, the game keeps rewarding you with new things and experiences as you play!

Negatives: Grinding required to get money,story so far seems bla but ill update you on it when I beat it,Brands can be annoying and the stylus tech pins can be hard to figure out without alot of practice,music is repetitive

I hope you guys enjoyed my completley random review...NOW GO BUY THIS GAME
Michael Easton

Re: The World Ends With You: My review {buy it!}

Post by Michael Easton »

I've heard a lot about this game and I think I may end up buying it - at some point.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

That is one LONG introduction to the title.

As for me, unless and until I figure out how to safeguard my screens from stylus-induced scratches, guess I'll give this title a miss for now.

I do like the refreshing style though.

I'd say if you are getting the DS for Tierkreis and you don't have the above kind of worry, this is definitely one of the better titles to get for your non-Sony handheld.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

wow replies! :shock:

Patapi it was long because it was a review not an introduction

I still haven't beaten the game yet but I can tell you guys some more stuff

pin mini game

you can use your pins in a pin battling minigame and you can battle with people online and in game for prizes

be a clerk

you can set up a shop where you sell clothes, anybody can then connect to your shop via infared laser and buy from you giving you money.You can also get pins from just randomly walking next to someone who has a DS....bassically if another ds is in the area your ds will sense it and give you bonuses and the bonus is even better if they have the game too

im not too sure on the details but that's about the gist of it

next time I post ill update on the end of the game