Chrono Trigger (DS)

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Aculias

Re: Chrono Trigger (DS)

Post by Aculias »

Chrono Trigger has always been one of my favorite games back in the SNES days with FF2 & 3 which is IV & VI ;)

I am looking forward to it.
Maybe Chrono might even talk :P
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I doubt they'd make him talk. Wasn't he like a silent protagonist?

anyway, I'll get it. I was only bored with it because I played it on an emulator. Which I think I already stated. . .and you have no idea how many typos I had to correct with this little statement.

I need more games for me DS anyway.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
pitohui

Post by pitohui »

Hi, I registered just to post this!
Oppenheimer wrote:It's despicable because all they are thinking about is money.
Man, I hate to have to be the one to break it to you, but Square-Enix is a company. Their goal is to make money. Nobody, nobody at SE cares about giving Chrono fans a hot new remake. Look at the whole FFVII thing. They milk it because it's popular. Chrono Trigger is fondly remembered (see the ad campaign) but hardly relevant. Despite what you may think:
Oppenheimer wrote:They already made their money off of the game ages ago
A company is not entitled to a set figure for each product. They earn what they earn. A company cannot make "too much" money.
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

Yes the game is exactly the same as in the SNES.
Same bonuses as the Playstation.
The graphics & the music.

The difference is the extra dungeon & a more easiar experience on the DS.
At least FFIV & FFIII had graphic changes & music.

I guess that was the least they could of done with Chrono Trigger.

At least you can go out & play it :O
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

pitohui wrote:Hi, I registered just to post this!
Oppenheimer wrote:It's despicable because all they are thinking about is money.
Man, I hate to have to be the one to break it to you, but Square-Enix is a company. Their goal is to make money. Nobody, nobody at SE cares about giving Chrono fans a hot new remake. Look at the whole FFVII thing. They milk it because it's popular. Chrono Trigger is fondly remembered (see the ad campaign) but hardly relevant. Despite what you may think:
Oppenheimer wrote:They already made their money off of the game ages ago
A company is not entitled to a set figure for each product. They earn what they earn. A company cannot make "too much" money.
That's great and all, but we're debating whether this port actually has any merit over their recent wave of game remakes..

I'm still with Oppenheimer (I actually brought it up first). This game should have been a 3D remake of Chrono Trigger, not a port with a far-too-obvious hatchet in the back of all fans who wanted Chrono Break to ever happen.
Formerly known as: Gothann
pitohui

Post by pitohui »

LanceHeart wrote: That's great and all, but we're debating whether this port actually has any merit over their recent wave of game remakes..

I'm still with Oppenheimer (I actually brought it up first). This game should have been a 3D remake of Chrono Trigger, not a port with a far-too-obvious hatchet in the back of all fans who wanted Chrono Break to ever happen.

Yes, yes, it's fine to discuss the merits of the game (and whether the double-dip is worth the price tag) but these kinds of threads always devolve into people complaining about what the game should've been while not realizing how improbable or downright nutty their whims are, and then bitching about how SE are horrible scoundrels for acting like any other dev/pub. Hell, I would love to play a CT remake, but the fact is that SE just can't justify it yet.

Again, it's only realistic to approach this from SE's perspective. The whole idea is to gauge consumers' interest in the series before dropping large amounts of development money into a remake or sequel. A straight port of the original CT does not preclude a remake down the line. Look at FFIV; they ported it to the GBA, smiled at the sales, and then went ahead with the DS remake. SE just wants to know where gamers stand regarding the series, and the best way to do that is with a quick, enhanced port to stir up interest.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

I don't really care to see a graphical remake of the game, but they definitely could have provided more better extra content.
On top of the silly meaningless extra in-game content and the boring Arena and arena-exclusive crap items i'm wasting my time trying to collect, the Ending Log sucks! it doesn't replay endings for you.. all it does is tell you how to get each ending..... but the catch is you have to FIRST GET THE ENDING BEFORE THE ENTRY IS UNLOCKED! complete phail in my opinion. A real ending log should let you replay endings and change any variables (like Magus dead/alive) to see the variations.

this game is definitely over-priced. It really should be $10 or $20. $40 was asking for players to download this game illegally (Squeenix instead priced this at $40 and programmed in an anti-pirate thing to try to stop pirate DLs).
pitohui

Post by pitohui »

KFCrispy wrote:I don't really care to see a graphical remake of the game, but they definitely could have provided more better extra content.
On top of the silly meaningless extra in-game content and the boring Arena and arena-exclusive crap items i'm wasting my time trying to collect, the Ending Log sucks! it doesn't replay endings for you.. all it does is tell you how to get each ending..... but the catch is you have to FIRST GET THE ENDING BEFORE THE ENTRY IS UNLOCKED! complete phail in my opinion. A real ending log should let you replay endings and change any variables (like Magus dead/alive) to see the variations.
This, this, a thousand times this.

All of the bonus content felt so half-assed that I wish they hadn't even bothered. I would almost go so far as to say that it detracted from my experience; my urge to round out the new bestiary and equipment list with all of the new entries drove me to such lengths of boredom that I ended up just tossing it aside (I know this is more my fault, but old habits die hard). Were it simply a straight port, I would've finished up the game (and maybe a New Game+ or two) and closed my DS with a smile rather than a disaffected shrug.

Personally I don't mind the price at all. I'm fine with paying a premium for what is essentially the only legitimate portable copy of Chrono Trigger available.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

pitohui wrote:Again, it's only realistic to approach this from SE's perspective. The whole idea is to gauge consumers' interest in the series before dropping large amounts of development money into a remake or sequel. A straight port of the original CT does not preclude a remake down the line. Look at FFIV; they ported it to the GBA, smiled at the sales, and then went ahead with the DS remake. SE just wants to know where gamers stand regarding the series, and the best way to do that is with a quick, enhanced port to stir up interest.
Forgot to respond to this a while back. The exact opposite is true for Final Fantasy 3's remake on the DS.

For a game that hasn't been remade in nearly 20 years, it sold twice as much as the Final Fantasy 4 remake that was ported to GBA only a few years before. There was no port to precede FF3 in an effort to gauge public interest, just a straight-up remake.

Fact is, the company that made the FF3 and FF4 remakes as well as the internal Square Enix team that worked on them publicly expressed interest and motivation in making a Chrono Trigger remake before moving on to FF5. The entire setting was perfect for a remake of the game rather than another port. Square Enix went the port route.
pitohui

Post by pitohui »

LanceHeart wrote:Forgot to respond to this a while back. The exact opposite is true for Final Fantasy 3's remake on the DS.
Final Fantasy III was originally a Famicom game. No publisher in their right mind is going to release a straight port of an 8-bit RPG today. Given that FFI and FFII had already been remade and ported quite a few times, FFIII was long overdue for attention regardless of the state of the market.
LanceHeart wrote:For a game that hasn't been remade in nearly 20 years, it sold twice as much as the Final Fantasy 4 remake that was ported to GBA only a few years before. There was no port to precede FF3 in an effort to gauge public interest, just a straight-up remake.
Circumstances are different for an established series. Final Fantasy has the name recognition of dozens of games behind it spanning over two decades; Chrono Trigger was a one-off collaborative RPG released in 1995 after Squaresoft had safely put three Final Fantasys on the same hardware. Granted, CT spawned a half-assed text-based sequel (packaged neatly into a quarter-assed PSone game), but the random gamer is going to have a lot more of a connection with the FF name. A Final Fantasy III remakes sells itself, for chrissakes. "Hey, a 3D Final Fantasy game on the DS, and it's one I've never played! SOLD"

And for the record, FFIII DS outsold FFIV GBA because the latter was just an enhanced port, not a remake. And as I've mentioned before, it was the success of this port that led to the development of -- that's right! -- FFIV DS, an honest-to-god remake.
LanceHeart wrote:Fact is, the company that made the FF3 and FF4 remakes as well as the internal Square Enix team that worked on them publicly expressed interest and motivation in making a Chrono Trigger remake before moving on to FF5. The entire setting was perfect for a remake of the game rather than another port. Square Enix went the port route.
Development teams, unless headed by industry legends, have jack-all input in the corporate workings of a company. I'm sure they were eager to make a 3D CT (and honestly, I wish SE had let them go that way), but as I've stated before, SE isn't ready to commit to it yet. Perhaps now that the sales figures are coming in SE will give these guys some freedom, but CT just does not carry the same weight as a behemoth IP like Final Fantasy, and it's silly to pretend that it does.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

pitohui wrote: Final Fantasy III was originally a Famicom game. No publisher in their right mind is going to release a straight port of an 8-bit RPG today. Given that FFI and FFII had already been remade and ported quite a few times, FFIII was long overdue for attention regardless of the state of the market.
You're forgetting the aborted enhanced port they wanted to do on WonderSwan Color. It was half done before it was aborted. Square Enix had tons of chances to complete it before then (PSOne, GBA, DS) but opted to spend far more money and give it the 3D remake treatment.
pitohui wrote:Circumstances are different for an established series. Final Fantasy has the name recognition of dozens of games behind it spanning over two decades; Chrono Trigger was a one-off collaborative RPG released in 1995 after Squaresoft had safely put three Final Fantasys on the same hardware. Granted, CT spawned a half-assed text-based sequel (packaged neatly into a quarter-assed PSone game), but the random gamer is going to have a lot more of a connection with the FF name. A Final Fantasy III remakes sells itself, for chrissakes. "Hey, a 3D Final Fantasy game on the DS, and it's one I've never played! SOLD"

And for the record, FFIII DS outsold FFIV GBA because the latter was just an enhanced port, not a remake. And as I've mentioned before, it was the success of this port that led to the development of -- that's right! -- FFIV DS, an honest-to-god remake.
You misread me. The FFIV DS game sold half as well as FFIII DS. The relatively short span of time between the port and the remake could be the culprit, but Chrono Trigger had that benefit over FFIV: Its last port was on the PSOne, nearly ten years prior.
Chrono Trigger is well known around the world as the one game that WASN'T Final Fantasy that managed to rake in tons of money and recognition for Squaresoft. It has legions of fans cursing the fact that FFXI still exists because the CT development team is locked in the maintenance of that game.
pitohui wrote:Development teams, unless headed by industry legends, have jack-all input in the corporate workings of a company. I'm sure they were eager to make a 3D CT (and honestly, I wish SE had let them go that way), but as I've stated before, SE isn't ready to commit to it yet. Perhaps now that the sales figures are coming in SE will give these guys some freedom, but CT just does not carry the same weight as a behemoth IP like Final Fantasy, and it's silly to pretend that it does.
Again, seeing what happened to FFIVDS, they probably won't ever make a 3D remake this generation due to and especially because they ported the game on the DS already. Perhaps on the DS2 or on the Wii 2, but they passed up on a chance to remake it and reach more than the core series fans this time around.
Lunairetic

Post by Lunairetic »

I agree with pitohui. I like Chrono Trigger's graphics like this :D
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I bought this game and I love it, and yes I am a chrono trigger fan since the snes days. The anime cutscenes and the monster bestiary is in this version,along with the ability to listen to any song in the game w/e you want at the title screen. The monster battling/training game is fun and actually affects main gameplay because if you beat high level fights you can sometimes score very rare items,in my case I was able to get the dreamstone gun very early in the game and 1 of marle's more powerful crossbow's.Not to mention spending money on the minigame affects the difficulty of the main game. You also got new items in game,2 new dungeons and a completley new way to play with touch screen controls or play the old way with the words on the top instead of on your screen!

The best part about this game is....its portable! yes now you can sit in the doctors office or w/e and play chrono trigger oh and there's a brand new translation that fixes any bad english in the previous trans{which is very helpful} oh and 2 new endings as well....1 OF WHICH DIRECTLY TIES INTO THE ENDING OF CHRONO CROSS

now honestly...how you gonna tell me this is just a simple port? go buy this game now and repent for your foolishness :x
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

^ It's about the same as the other "Advance" ports of the Final Fantasy series, with the extra bonus of the monster raising thing. Not saying it isn't appreciated, just saying it's not revolutionary.

The new endings bit is somewhat of a tease, though. The one that ties directly into Chrono Cross was the worst, seeing as how this version of CT most likely isn't canon (much like FFI, II, IV, V, and VI Advance + III DS aren't).
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

I was happy when i found out that they were putting CT onto the ds becuase i never played chrono trigger but i did play chrono cross and loved it. i couldn't find chrono trigger anywhere for the psone so when i heard about this i was overjoyed and got it as soon as i could.

actually i did play it once before, i had found a downloadable version for the computer, but a few months later it got a virus and it won't work anymore.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤