Chrono Trigger (DS)

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Chrono Trigger (DS)

Post by KFCrispy »

anybody else excited about this? i might borrow my friend's DS (i will be borrowing it for Tierkreis later, too ^_^)
what's interesting about this game? mainly the new features. there are a couple more areas, new bosses, and new equipment.. and the translation has been completely redone. i'm definitely not used to the new spell and equipment names, but i suppose you just get used to them over time.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Chrono Trigger (DS)

Post by Oppenheimer »

No, I'm just annoyed that they aren't remaking it and instead are just porting it. I demand a remake *shakes fist*

The monster arena and new dungeon aren't enough for me to play it over again. I want new graphics.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

Must admit that I will be buying it. I always buy handheld ports of games I love.

I am a nerd :mrgreen:
Purr.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

There's one word to describe the "new" Lost Sanctum dungeon: Annoying.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Oppenheimer wrote:No, I'm just annoyed that they aren't remaking it and instead are just porting it. I demand a remake *shakes fist*

The monster arena and new dungeon aren't enough for me to play it over again. I want new graphics.
w3rd.

I was thinking the same thing.

Although, I never got really far on the game (emulators bore me. ..)
so I might still get it to make my friend, Michael, happy. -.-

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Oppenheimer wrote:No, I'm just annoyed that they aren't remaking it and instead are just porting it. I demand a remake *shakes fist*

I'm feeling especially spiteful because not only did they shut down the fan-made 3D remake, they even refused the in-house team who worked on the Final Fantasy III and IV remakes. Those same people said they'd love to remake Chrono Trigger before FFV...

Oh well. No money from me, Square Enix.
Formerly known as: Gothann
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Couldn't care less either way. I don't really get what's so great about this title. I thought it was average at best. It's a pity that the time travelling aspect couldn't make up for the fact that the actual world is barebone, for me.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

LanceHeart wrote:

I'm feeling especially spiteful because not only did they shut down the fan-made 3D remake, they even refused the in-house team who worked on the Final Fantasy III and IV remakes. Those same people said they'd love to remake Chrono Trigger before FFV...

Oh well. No money from me, Square Enix.
we should be thankful there not remaking it like FF3/4, it wouldnt be the same game at all with those crappy DS 3d graphics.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I very much enjoyed the remakes of FFIII and IV. Especially IV because it has a decent plot (unlike III). I thought the graphics were great. I like those poligon kind of graphics though. They're cute. They worked well with FFIV since characters like Tellah were already pretty crazy looking. Not 100% sure if it would have worked for Chrono Trigger. But I tell you what's not working. . . last century sprites.

And Chrono Trigger is still in my top 5 best games ever. I'm not a hater. I just don't see any reason to buy the same game a third time (already bought origional and PSX remake).

As for them shutting down the fan remake, that's really dispicable but they do have the right. I would forgive them if they did do a graphical remake. I wouldn't be surprised if they did that in the next couple of years. It wouldn't be the first time they ported a game and then redid it again in order to rake in double profits. Just look at FFIV.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i really enjoy the game because it is very simple and pretty creative. there is a story that goes in one direction, develops it well, and doesn't try to do some stupid plot change like some of the FF games i've seen. i think it balances storytelling and gameplay out really well--you don't have to sit through hours of dialogue and you aren't getting thrown into battles every few seconds (in fact, most are completely avoidable). i love the combo system that strengthens team dynamics.. unfortunately they become weak and inefficient once everyone's powered up, but it really adds to the game's strategy on your New Game (not new game+) runs.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

Oppenheimer wrote:
As for them shutting down the fan remake, that's really dispicable but they do have the right.
How is it despicable?

its not like it was some fan mod to a game based on chrono trigger, had they allowed them make it it could have easily affected any sales they tried to make of the game, why buy chrono trigger when you can download a 3d version of it for free?
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

My biggest gripe about them shutting down the fan-remake isn't that they actually did it, but that they turned around five years after the fact and gave the porting contract to TOSE yet again (the same company who made the impossibly ridiculous port of CT to PS1 and other failed Square ports). The fact that they had a whole team ready to remake the game in 3D on a platform of their choice and turned them down for another port-with-minor-additions.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

warmaster670 wrote: its not like it was some fan mod to a game based on chrono trigger, had they allowed them make it it could have easily affected any sales they tried to make of the game,
It's despicable because all they are thinking about is money. They already made their money off of the game ages ago, but they want to squeeze out more money as many times as possible by doing a half-assed job on it by porting it.

If they shut down someone else's work because they were doing the same thing, that's okay. But, they shut it down so they can do a lesser work. What they should have done is just hired these people and licenced their work and then sold it.
warmaster670

Post by warmaster670 »

Oppenheimer wrote:
warmaster670 wrote: its not like it was some fan mod to a game based on chrono trigger, had they allowed them make it it could have easily affected any sales they tried to make of the game,
It's despicable because all they are thinking about is money. They already made their money off of the game ages ago, but they want to squeeze out more money as many times as possible by doing a half-assed job on it by porting it.

If they shut down someone else's work because they were doing the same thing, that's okay. But, they shut it down so they can do a lesser work. What they should have done is just hired these people and licenced their work and then sold it.
half assed job on porting it? the DS port is awesome, dont know where your getting your information, and whether they already made money off of it or not doesn't matter, its still there copyrighted material, theres nothing despicable about protecting your intellectual property, any sane company would have done the exact same thing.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

You don't have to quote when I'm the last person who posted.

There's a key word in my statement I think you might have missed. They did a half-assed job by porting it, instead of remaking it with better graphics and an expanded system like they did for FFIV. I'm not saying the port in of itself is a half-assed job, but they shouldn't have just ported it but should have remade it. That's the crux of my argument.

They shut down someone elses work who wasn't doing the same thing, they were doing a better job. That's what upsets me. I never argued they didn't have the right to do it, just that I wanted them to either turn a blind eye or take over/do it themselves. Companies do turn a blind eye to fan remakes. Such as the retranslation of Mother 3 as an example. That is misusing intellectual property but no one has done anything about it and I don't think that makes them not a sane company.