Folklore (PS3 game)

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
thcrock
Global Admin

Folklore (PS3 game)

Post by thcrock »

Anyone else played this? I just finished it. I'm a big fan now. For anyone whose played it, stand up! I want to hear what people thought of it. For those that have a PS3 and haven't played it, buy it! It's very unique in almost every way. Its not epic, but its brilliant.

Pros:
  • Art style is simply gorgeous. Full of color.
    Story (a murder mystery) is told in a variety of ways, but most cutscenes are told in an animated comic book style. The story itself is very interesting, as well, but I won't spoil anything.
    Soundtrack fits the mysterious mood - a lot of the piano music sounds like Chopin.
    Combat system is really cool - you absorb enemies after beating them within an inch of their life to gain their power. And by this, I mean they become a weapon. So by the end of the game, you have close to 100 weapons to choose from for each main character. Each one is distinctive, too.
Con:
  • The two main characters cover a lot of the same ground. To elaborate on this (without giving any plot spoilers away), each main character has their own set of chapters. And in both of their chapter 1s, they go through the same 'dungeons'. Same paths. The enemies change somewhat, but its still the same. Storywise, they do need to end up at the same place, but I feel at least they could have had them take different paths. On the flipside, since enemies appear directly on the field screen (no random battles), you can just run right past them if you don't feel like fighting them, save area mini-bosses. The dungeons themselves aren't huge, so this isn't a major problem.
Also, having just beat the game, I'm just now seeing this 'dungeon trial' system. You can create your own levels, and play the ones that other people made. I'll update when I find out the quality of this user-created content.
amelia108

Re: Folklore (PS3 game)

Post by amelia108 »

i haven't played this game, but it did look interesting and your description makes me even more interested (hundreds of weapons sounds really cool). sorry i have pretty much nothing to add, but this thread just seemed lonely. :P
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

I've been playing it on and off. Not too far into the game, though.

I'm liking how every single id-spawning enemy can become yours to use throughout the game, not to mention the plot's twists. One thing I'm not liking is how you need to play both characters concurrently if you want to follow the fully story. It's like the Trinity Sight System, except with very little differences between both stories.
Formerly known as: Gothann
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I tried the demos out, and thought they were pretty good. I just never got around to buying the game.
PSN: FreshMetal80
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

freshmetal wrote:I tried the demos out, and thought they were pretty good. I just never got around to buying the game.
I'm with this guy

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I'm having a really hard time following the plot. I am playing only as the reporter and not the other girl so maybe I have to play a little of both chapters to understand it.
I've had it since I got my PS3 a year ago but I have only played it in spurts.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Yes, the game was designed so that you have to play each chapter twice over: Once with the girl and the other with the guy. Apparently there's some sort of "perfect order" to things, but I haven't checked a guide for the best order in months.
Formerly known as: Gothann
thcrock
Global Admin

Post by thcrock »

I just alternated between the two (starting with the girl), and everything made sense.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Didn't it become boring playing the same levels over twice each time? That's why I decided to just do one so that later when I went back on the levels it would be fresh again.
avenger

Post by avenger »

i got this game but it ain't what i expected so i'll hold on to it and then trade it for a new ps3 title..
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Yeah I ended up trading it in and not getting very far. It just didn't hold my interest. The atmosphere was okay but the plot just wasn't very interesting and it badly needed voice acting.
avenger

Post by avenger »

Not only that, I hated the battles..
the scenery was very nice but , who cares...
this game just was quickly put out without much thought. it was one of the first rpgs' of the ps3.
Suikoden was one of the first rpgs of ps1, and it made a dent in people's minds.... guah ha ha..
there's the difference...