Street Fighter IV...

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Street Fighter IV...

Post by KFCrispy »

So I'm looking at some screenshots at Gamespot... why is Capcom still lazy enough to make Ken and Ryu look exactly the same?
Check out the pic where the the new wrestler is standing on top of Ken and then you'll find another where he's standing on top of Ryu. How lame is that... they even have the same facial expression. There are some things about Capcom I always abhor.
Occam Arkitect

Re: Street Fighter IV...

Post by Occam Arkitect »

I find "Capcom being lazy" a bit ironic, SF4 looks and plays very differently compared to the real sequels, SF2 and SF3.

Though of course, I don't disagree with you completely. I've never been a fan of SF character designs, but at least they're above-average compared to some.

Damage has also been kept to a minimum. That's a really frightening idea, most easy combos nowadays will be 10-12 hits now.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well you think that when they revamp this game that has been recycled over 20 times to bring it to a new generation, they wouldn't still be cloning characters to save time...
Dynasty Warriors 6 does this cloning too but Koei is notorious for that. Capcom should be turning over a new leaf.

out of 50 or so games featuring Ken and Ryu, how many graphically unique versions exist of them? maybe 7, and one 3-D version was done by another company (Arika, the SF ex series)
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

Ryu and Ken at least get alternate costumes this time around that will visually set them apart. Too bad the alt. costumes have to be purchased... and aren't even available yet.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

It's a pretty good game. I'm a charge character kind of guy.
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Haroth

Post by Haroth »

I absolutely <3 SF4

I'm waiting for my arcade stick to come in. I can't play with the 360 controller and I'm a natural arcade person. I found the game in an arcade, played it in an arcade, and want to keep it that way. I rarely actually purchase fighting games for consoles. I just hope and pray I can occasionally find something in an arcade.

Saying that Ryu and Ken are carbon copies gameplay-wise is like saying that all shoto's play the same. Ken's Fireballs are vastly inferior to Ryu's, while Ryu lacks in a few departments that Ken accels at. All and all, they're both balanced characters for newbies who look the same, but that doesn't mean that they play the same. Their similar moves are deceiving, but if you actually pay attention, they're typically different.

I wasn't too impressed with the visuals. I prefer 2d sprites on 2d games. I don't mind the 3d models, but the fact that everyone looks constipated, angry, and on steroids doesn't really help the situation. Not as if everyone wasn't overly buff in previous SF games, it just showed a hell of a lot more this time around. Plus, the only visually pleasing character is Cammy, and that's a stretch.
Life is uncensored; prepare to blush.