Chrono Trigger DS

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
redwing605

Chrono Trigger DS

Post by redwing605 »

Antimatzist

Re: Chrono Trigger DS

Post by Antimatzist »

Sounds mostly like a port, but still I'm really looking forward to this. An Emulator isn't as good as playing the game REALLY!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I already said this at Suikox, but I'm dissapointed that it's a port and not a remake. There's one additional dungeon and touch screen controls but other than that it's nothing new. I don't really see the added value of it being smaller and portable. I'll just play one of the other versions if I get in a Chrono frame of mind.
StalkerPizza

Post by StalkerPizza »

I want them to make another game, but I doubt that will happen >_>
The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom
-Nyx Avatar from Persona 3-
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

I never played it. . well, I did once on an emulator. . but never finished it. I don't really care for emulators. . but anyway, I'll get it I suppose.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
redwing605

Post by redwing605 »

Oppenheimer wrote:I already said this at Suikox, but I'm dissapointed that it's a port and not a remake. There's one additional dungeon and touch screen controls but other than that it's nothing new. I don't really see the added value of it being smaller and portable. I'll just play one of the other versions if I get in a Chrono frame of mind.
I rather them not remake it, unless they could get all the people who worked on it originally, so I am glad it is just a port.

StalkerPizza if you want another one then this games needs to sell really well thats the only way.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

"Update 3: Square Enix has officially announced that the enhanced DS port of Chrono Trigger will hit North America "this holiday season."

The company noted that, beyond the changes listed below, the revamp "maintains all of the game's original elements."
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

People are so protective of "ruining the game". I think they should take a chance to update the graphics even if they can't get the old people back. It's better than just having a portable version of a game I already own. If it changes the game in a way that's not as good then just play the old version. I don't see what you can loose by trying to update it.
redwing605

Post by redwing605 »

Oppenheimer wrote:People are so protective of "ruining the game". I think they should take a chance to update the graphics even if they can't get the old people back. It's better than just having a portable version of a game I already own. If it changes the game in a way that's not as good then just play the old version. I don't see what you can loose by trying to update it.
I didn't say I was against them remaking it, I just said if they did I would want the original team to do it and unless they can do that, they don't need to change anything major. The game is meant for new people who have never played it, and the only way to experience chrono trigger is the way it was originally made I wouldn't want to rob anybody of that experience.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

redwing605 wrote:The game is meant for new people who have never played it,
It is? Where did you hear that? So far the only people who seem to be making noise about it are fans who have played it before and want to buy it again just because.

Why don't they just release it on Virtual Console if they want it to be avaliable to people who haven't played it before?

And I beg to disagree that they do need to change a thing, or else it's just a port and I don't play ports unless I haven't played the original or something has changed. I don't see the point in buying a game twice.

Especially since Squeenix is remaking Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy IV and redoing the graphics and gameplay. I don't see why they would stop short of doing that for Chrono Trigger. It just reaks of a money grab.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I don't see the point in buying a game twice.
Ok, then don't buy it twice.

I don't see why so many people complain about this: If they have played the game or own the game, they don't need to buy it- especially if it's only a port.

But it's different for the Final Fantasy games: I've bought FF I, II, IV, V and VI for the PSX, and they were poorly mad eports with no new extras(besides the FMV-Sequences, which aren't too impressive), and now they release these games with better graphics and better gameplay, additional dungeons... and that f***s me up. but that's way off-topic.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

FF I & II had new graphics and redone music actually. I agree with the release of FFIV before though as a direct port. I'm glad they're redoing it properly now, but they shouldn't have just ported it before.
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Not much new...I agree with Oppenheimer that they should just release on the virtual console if they aren't going to touch it up. Pretty much just a waste of money and any information about this additional dungeon?

I would have at least expected some additional playable characters or something.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

There were two dungeons that were removed from the final version but still exist as data on the cartridge. One of them is another Zeal temple and the other is calling Singing Mountain or something like that and is in the prehistoric time period. Although we haven't been told anything I'm guessing they're going to finally finish one of those two. I hope it's the prehistoric one because Ayla needs a final character driven level. All the other characters have one at the end of the game except her.
redwing605

Post by redwing605 »

Why would they release it on the virtual console, there are more DSs in the world plus you can charge a lot more for a DS game it wouldn't make sense to put it on the virtual console, not with money in mind.