New Breath of Fire?

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Hirathien

Re: New Breath of Fire?

Post by Hirathien »

Freak wrote:I'm playing Dragon Quarter right now and I don't think it's that bad. I really like the creepy, claustrophobic feel of the game. My main gripe with the series is that the character designs get more ugly with every new title. What is it with those huge eyes and sickly, stick-thin bodies?
Game sure is hard though. I think I totally screwed myself over..I have a too high D-Counter to beat the game, no money left and no way to gain new money or levels. :(
Breath of Fire 2 was the first RPG I ever played and it's still one if my favorites. It still has the best "evil church " theme ever IMO.
That's the thing with Dragon Quarter. You pretty much need to farm, save the party experience and restart, rinse and repeat until you can become level 99 with all the chars from the start, sounds like fun? It really isn't. Just a sick way for them to get the game to last longer.
Freak

Post by Freak »

Yeah, I actually liked at first that the game is challenging and you have to plan ahead. But now it looks like I'm completely stuck and can neither go back or forth. And forcing you to restart the entire game because you made a mistake is just bad game design. :?
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Oppenheimer wrote:I only like huge games if they have a really engrossing plot. I've never found Breath of Fire to be that engrossing so I'd rather it if they stuck to short and sweet. I haven't really liked any of them since the original anyway.
SO true, the first breath of fire was DEF. the best one!! the other ones were ok, one of the few games where I liked the first one more than the second, but oh well ;p
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

I loved pretty much all of them (with the exception of DQ which I wish to forget it's existence). 2 was the best IMO. I and III were for me equal second and 4th, which wasn't bad, just wasn't great. And now I just realized that BoF was my 2nd RPG's after FFVI, Ah, memories.
I do wish that they'd made one more but return back to the original formula instead of sticking to the DQ's one.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

I looooove Breath of Fire. I'm currently replaying number three on my PSP. And apart from getting upset at finding a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen, it's been heaps of fun! To be honest, I never played Dragon Quarter, I started it, went "Huh?..." then left it to my brother. Something more traditional would be much appreciated. There don't seem to be many people making 'normal' (imo) RPGs anymore.

Bring back the 90's! The golden age of RPGs....
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Breath of Fire III and Breath of Fire IV i had loads of fun with, sure, i got some strange ending with IV but i think i did something wrong somewhere along the story.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Nikisaur wrote:I looooove Breath of Fire. I'm currently replaying number three on my PSP. And apart from getting upset at finding a dead pixel right in the middle of the screen, it's been heaps of fun! To be honest, I never played Dragon Quarter, I started it, went "Huh?..." then left it to my brother. Something more traditional would be much appreciated. There don't seem to be many people making 'normal' (imo) RPGs anymore.

Bring back the 90's! The golden age of RPGs....
I guess doing a really traditional BoF would kill the series eventually. I really liked how they changed the basic BoF formula and risked something. I mean I really liked BoF IV, but it was gameplaywise more a BoF III-2.

DQ had some great and some bad ideas. If they could keep some of the good ones and maybe mix it with some oldschool-BoF-flair it would make a brilliant game.
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Yeah I mean, good on them for trying something new, but it uh...didn't work. I never played IV, my silly little country and its silly little stores don't really get all the games. It's one of the many games on my list of things I saw in a shop on holiday in another city, decided ít must be around seeing as I live in the capital, then never see it again. Fail.

But yeah, I said something more traditional, not something completely traditional.
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

Hirathien wrote:Breath of Fire III and Breath of Fire IV i had loads of fun with, sure, i got some strange ending with IV but i think i did something wrong somewhere along the story.
If I remember right, you need to meet all the Dragons (I think there's 7.... reaaaaally not sure) in order to get the good ending. If not well... you get what you probably got and very few people in the world are happy.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Breath of Fire, eh? It has been so long, I had almost forgotten that series. I played BoF 1 and 2 back on the SNES, and I was a big fan. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to play 3, 4 and DQ, but maybe I'll check them out if I have the time. I would welcome another entry to the series.

I said this before in another section of these forums, but this is a strange time for the RPG. For the most part, they have been going to a real-time or MMO style of play, and turn-based games have been rare, at least here in the west. The PS3 has had a few RPGs, but all of them have had mixed reviews: i.e. FF XIII, Star Ocean 4 and others. The only one that really made much of an impact after its initial release was Dragon Age, but that was a disappointing experience for me.

We seem to be at a crossroads, and the more traditional, strategic turn-based RPGs could see a comeback, which would be something I would be glad to see.

Anyway, Capcom is a company that -perhaps even more than Konami- excels at ruining the great series that they create. They were on top of the industry in the 16-bit era, only to ruin that later by releasing a string of disappointing games. BoF is just one of many series that they have let go by the wayside, but they have ruined far more just by pushing them too hard and releasing too many sequels too quickly: Street Fighter, Mega Man, etc. Resident Evil was followed by several mediocre encores. Onimusha was perhaps the first viable non-sports title for the PS2, but even that great blend of Samurai action and Resident Evil-style horror was washed out by the 3rd installment. For Onimusha 3, they had Jean Reno acting, Donnie Yen as the martial arts coreographer, and the friggin London Symphony playing the soundtrack, and somehow the game was still bad.

On the other hand, I hear the new Resident Evil and Street Fighter titles are pretty good, so maybe this could be the start of a turn-around for Capcom.
Palmguy

Post by Palmguy »

Indeed, the western world seems to hate RPG's more and more, which sadden me, concidering it's the only kind of games I play.

Post by 727 »

I loved Breath of fire III. Don't get me going or you'll end up with a direct sequel to that game instead of Suikoden II. lol
A brand new Suikoden game with a well-written script!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Suikorok ... ?ref=br_tf
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

That sounds really kewl, I really enjoy 2 and 4 ( the only ones I have, well 2 magically vanished though. That seems to happen to me alot >.<)

If they do so, I would hope that this Ryu doesn't have a sword. Swords are used way too much in video games, but they probably will.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Heh, it's like some people needs a guy with some kind of sword in games. Basically Suikoden I, II (Depending on you choose to be Flame Champ III) and V don't have swords with their main character, but a lot of other RPG's have. It's like "We don't follow you, you do not wield a sword!"
Xelinis

Post by Xelinis »

So apparently, there are rumors around that a design document has floating through Capcom for BOFVI. This doesn't mean that it's being made, just that even some of the developers are getting antsy and want to get the game off the ground. It still has to go through the executive board, which may very well shoot it down. Most of the important players for the series are still at Capcom though, many of them being on the Dead Rising team.

In regards to Dragon Quarter, it is my favorite game in the series hands down. All the games until then seemed so boring and cliche driven. I remember fighting with the clumsy controls and dull story of III when all I wanted was to watch Gaar smash things. The story is Dragon Quarter is shockingly dark and a very welcome change from old entries. Additionally, the design was top notch, the music was grand, and the overall gameplay was deceptively deep. It is one of my top 5 favorite games and perhaps the most innovative RPG I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

People complained about it being too different. I say that different is good.