New Breath of Fire?

A forum for non-Suikoden games.
Antimatzist

New Breath of Fire?

Post by Antimatzist »

I just found the following Article:

http://www.destructoid.com/a-new-breath ... 2343.phtml

Basically, it says that there might be a chance that there will be a new BoF game in the future, and that they haven't started producing one beacause they lacked developers.

Just wanted to post it here, since the BoF-Series seems to be quite the same as the Suikoden-Series...
StalkerPizza

Re: New Breath of Fire?

Post by StalkerPizza »

Gah..... Stupid Mario Tenis....... >_>

Breath of Fire III is one of the best RPG I've ever played. It was very hard for me to find others as great as BoF III. But, then again I haven't played IV.....
coughDQsuxcough

If they kill the series, I swear to god, I will burn down Capcom D:<
The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom
-Nyx Avatar from Persona 3-
EternalOnslaught

Post by EternalOnslaught »

Capcom should sell the rights to some team that has the staff to develope a new BoF. The same thing may be happening to the Lufia series.
Sandalphon - Senso Suikoden
vanyelvor

Post by vanyelvor »

oh the killed it with dragon quarters im sorry i really didnt like it as much as i should have
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

They owe their fans another Breath of Fire, after the atrocity that was Dragon Quarter.
Author

Post by Author »

Breath of Fire IV was the best in my opinion. BoF 2 was very good and BoF 3 was enjoyable, though I found BoF 2 better. BoF1 was...I haven't bothered finishing it but meh, it's old, so it's understandable.

BoF 5 destroyed it, almost like S3/S4 in Suikoden--though I'm not saying it did. While it may have SLIGHTLY did (I believe it didn't :<) BoF5 COMPLETELY did. I preferred if they sticked to the 2D serious-comedy-shounen stuff.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Actually, I liked Dragon Quarter. They tried to bring new aspects to the series(the battle system was quite good, imo) and the whole SOL aspect is better than these NEw Game +'s of many other games.

On the other hand, it was just to short and way to linear: You can easily play it in 10 hours on your second walkthrough...

I hope (if they develop a new BoF), they make something HUGE...
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I only like huge games if they have a really engrossing plot. I've never found Breath of Fire to be that engrossing so I'd rather it if they stuck to short and sweet. I haven't really liked any of them since the original anyway.
daoster

Post by daoster »

Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter was probably my favorite Breath of Fire, in terms of gameplay...really fun, though I did like the atmosphere of Breath of Fire IV...it's a chore to play Breath of Fires 1 thru 3 though.
I tell the DJ what to play, I tell the MC what to say!
Like good music? Check out my podcast: http://www.musicaloccupation.com
StalkerPizza

Post by StalkerPizza »

The amount of times that DQ required you to start over was what really made me hate that game. The story wasn't even that good, either. Plus without D-Dive, you do absolutely no damage..... Lin and Nina are just burdens/tools for using items.

"Hi I'm Ryu. I meet an anorexic chick named Nina who can't speak and can't breathe, even though she is supposed purify the nasty air I breathe and a lady with a tiger tail. I have the lowest chances of getting a dragon 1/6549(or something) and I do. My ex-friend Bosch just went mutant and tried to kill me because of his jealousy! Now I must travel with the wannabe model and the stalker fox wannabe to find some air! And the worst part is both of them refuse to let me do them!"
/rant
The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom
-Nyx Avatar from Persona 3-
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Well, that's true- if you try to play DQ without using the SOL system, it's very difficult, especially in the end.

But you can exploit the SOL system, resulting having a lod of health packs and a lot of EXP, which make the game a lot easier. And in your second playthrough, it's a piece of cake(since from the very beginning you can have a level 30 Ryu...)

Anyway, I liked it how they tried to renew the series- BoF IV was very like BoF III, imo, with only few changes.
noodledoodle

Post by noodledoodle »

BoF:DQ is actually one of my top 10 or even 5 PS2 rpgs so I don't know why all the hate. I will admit I hated the game at first because I was like "zomg these characters look generic!" but as I played the battle system became one of my favorite battle systems of all time as well as the story being solid imo. I really liked the race against time in this game as well as the concept because this type of story has never been seen in an rpg.

I hope there will be a new BoF, I'm currently playing BoF4 again and its bringing back a lot of good memories.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Oppenheimer wrote:I only like huge games if they have a really engrossing plot. I've never found Breath of Fire to be that engrossing so I'd rather it if they stuck to short and sweet. I haven't really liked any of them since the original anyway.
That's because the first three had the exact same story. Even the same two protagonists.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. After what Capcom has thrown our way in terms of dragon related games (Monster Hunter) I don't think it's time to add yet another dragon-based game into the mix. However, if they borrow some of the artistic staff from the MH series and design new dragons based on the cooler wyverns in that series, I'd love to see that. Become the things you usually get your ass kicked by.

So long as the gameplay isn't as bad as BoF:DQ, I'll be happy. That style really didn't belong in what was predominantly the most traditional turn based RPG series ever. It would have belonged in an SRPG adaptation of the Vagrant Story battle system.
Formerly known as: Gothann
amelia108

Post by amelia108 »

i liked breath of fire 1 back in the day; it did not age well though. breath of fire ii was very... euh. couldn't get into it. iii was pretty awesome, but 4 was almost insufferably dull to me. i never even tried dragon quarter, but i'm thinking about checking it out now...

not really crazy about this series obviously, but i'll still give the new one a chance, if it happens.
Freak

Post by Freak »

I'm playing Dragon Quarter right now and I don't think it's that bad. I really like the creepy, claustrophobic feel of the game. My main gripe with the series is that the character designs get more ugly with every new title. What is it with those huge eyes and sickly, stick-thin bodies?
Game sure is hard though. I think I totally screwed myself over..I have a too high D-Counter to beat the game, no money left and no way to gain new money or levels. :(
Breath of Fire 2 was the first RPG I ever played and it's still one if my favorites. It still has the best "evil church " theme ever IMO.