Beat the game. Anyone else underwhelmed?

Ask questions about the events and characters related to Suikoden Tierkreis here.
ThricebornPhoenix

Re: Beat the game. Anyone else underwhelmed?

Post by ThricebornPhoenix »

I don't follow that reasoning. After the first game, there seem to be little consistency and less point to the whole thing. To be honest, I don't see much difference between Starbearers and Stars of Destiny. It seems to me that the basics as laid out in Tierkreis could easily apply to the main series already, since there is almost no information about Stars in the ones I've played....

So what exactly is the 'purpose' of a Star of Destiny? Having played SI-SIV/Tactics, I still have no clue.
"Evil is always a distortion or an exaggeration of something that is good. People don't understand that now." - Gene Wolfe, an interview
XIII

Post by XIII »

ThricebornPhoenix wrote:Technically (IIRC), it's supposed to be one's mindset aligning with their star that does it. Getting the Marks is just the proof.

What I want to know is, how is any of this worse than the main series? SII introduced a lot of confusion where 'Stars of Destiny' are concerned - SI characters losing their star or returning under a different one, or certain characters joining under one of several possible stars depending on who else you've recruited. Not to mention non-star recruits.
Really? Manaril's guardian (forgot his name xP) just changed his opinion about the war before touching the book again before becoming a starbearer. My friend has my copy right now so I can't really get back to play it again to confirm it. I don't think it involved one's mindset aligning with their star that triggered them becoming stars. That's just me lol

Who lost or changed their star in the series? o.O The only ones I could think of that could change star is Tomo. Eresh and Euram just have the same star. Add if you know some more haha.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

Tomo is one of the only stars who changes depending on who you pick between Valeria and Kasumi.
Since she didn't appear in Suikoden 3 nor any other games, we really can't know what her true star is (and in that same vein, who took part in that war).

Sigfried/Feather/Abizboah is the other trio, but since they're all contained within the same game and only one configuration works with the 108 Stars of Destiny ending, it rules itself out.

Viki is also pretty much ruled out, since her "younger" self in S3 was probably not her at all.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Well, on the Gensopedia, they say:
Konami's statement that whichever Star you acquire on any particular playthrough is canon and still holds valid.
So every combination is right. But no character has ever changed his SoD.
jonathan_priest

Post by jonathan_priest »

*shrug* As a stand alone RPG, this game was fine, but as a Suikoden title it was sorely underwhelming. What gets me, is many of the people who enjoyed this game are the same who critisized SIV for the same mechanics.

There is a very concentrated group of recruits from a very small number of cities/towns/whatever. S4 had the same problem with limited exposure to the world itself. There is very little diversity or worldly ideas present in this story, and what I can't understand is that unlike all other games in the series, at least they had an actual war that was being fought, not a select few people who were trying to destroy the planet.

For an RPG, this game wasn't bad, but I don't even count this as a Suikoden game
"It doesn't matter if the glass is half empty or half full...what matters is the glass."
1234569and10

Post by 1234569and10 »

I didn't particularly care for this game.They take such a neutral thing, predetermination/determinism/fate and then try their hardest, and for the most part fail, at making it seem evil. They give it an evil face by equating it with some sort of sheepism, but sheepism and and the belief in a set future aren't the same thing and...ugh, just forget it. Watching this game grasp at straws was painful.

It's irritating that they gave the kid a personality, but did nothing more than make him into a typical shonen keet. Although, some of his friends like Liu and Jale were nice.

The game was pretty, and you got to walk around some of the time, but the whole menu thing took a lot out of me.

There was nothing special about the combat, or about the main's ability's versus the rest of the groups, so that made me sad.

But I pretty much figured that the plot wasn't going to be all that special after the Magedom got kersploded.

Saw the good ending on YouTube the other day. I'm sort of glad that I didn't spend my time collecting all 108 in order to get a look at it.
No, Jowy, I do not want your stupid carrots.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

A shakey start to the game (a little bit too 'non-Suikoden') but then a really aweseom middle with new ideas and full of promise. It built you're hopes up only to be let down by the ending. It changed drasticaly from Suikoden game to FF/light vs dark type game.

All in all really good handheld RPG but a good to average Suikoden (to be honest it's hard to even rate it as a Suikoden). I think the biggest let down, as others have said, is the lack of mini-games. I mean, its on the DS console - if anyhting we where probably expecting good mini-games at the very least. But instead, we hardly get any mini-games. Infact, we get NONE. Why even bring it out on the DS then?

Lack of depth towards the end of story was hard to take, it felt like it was building up into a grand ending where loads of questions would be answered. Instead ......nothing really. We're left to assume the Hero's father is the Tenkai we have been seeing from the Chronicle visions plus many other unanswered questions really.

A good game but left with a feeling of what game to play next rather than wanting to replay this one. No sense of story or gameplay ahievement.
kati

Post by kati »

I just beat it, and i was like "omg, it's just a watered down, emotionless Final Fantasy X"...when i went back and viewed the bad ending on youtube, i was like, "holy crap, the one king is just like sin"...too cheezy and im glad i got finished with it. I hope they dont make a sequel and just stick with the original story which im hoping to see