Don't knock it till you try it!

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
Falenan_descent

Don't knock it till you try it!

Post by Falenan_descent »

I've been going through the Tierkreis posts and finding some people to be really angry with Tierkreis. Saying things like, "Its just a knockoff with the Suikoden name on it to get people to buy it." Yes, it is a spin-off of the actual series. Konami admitted that. But, its a Suikoden game through and through. So what if it takes place in a parallel world and Viki and Jeane aren't in it? No, there aren't any runes but I like the Mark of the Stars system better. :o And having four people in your party is actually bearable. Anyway, what I'm saying is...you can dislike it. But, you never know till you try, right? ;)
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Re: Don't knock it till you try it!

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

And this didn't fit in any of the other topics because..?

And it is every persons right to refuse to play a game that doesn't interest them.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

I'll say this: If I don't consider this game's preceding franchise, I can actually consider Tierkreis as a decent JRPG... on the DS. On the flip side, if I try comparing it to other games in the franchise (dispassionately) it doesn't match up to most individual games in the main series.

Then again, doesn't this go into the review thread?
Formerly known as: Gothann
Falenan_descent

I didn't really know where to throw it. So, sorry if its in the wrong location. Anyway, yes...every person does have a right to not like something that doesn't interest them. Lol. But, my post is aimed at those that haven't played it yet and refuse to because they think its going to be another Suikoden IV. Personally, I don't think it is. It's a really great story that takes place in the Suikoden Universe and while it may not have any cameos whatsoever from the original series...it's really not that bad for a spin-off. So, what I'm saying is, especially for those that haven't played it, to give it a try. Lol.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Falenan_descent wrote:every person does have a right to not like something that doesn't interest them
Read what I said again.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Falenan_descent

I know. Lol. Thats why I threw that in there.
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

I am taking my time playing it.
It is starting to have a little more Suikoden feel. Having my own castle type place. Naming the group. Having a tactician & being the leader etc.

Even though it seems more simple. I think the story may get alot better.
Still feels weird without the Runes.I am still curious how this will effect the Suikoden timeline & Geography of the game. We dont even know if it's based on the past or not.

Well play on & see how it goes.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

I actually agree with LanceHeart. This is, so far, the only RPG I liked on the DS is this. I kept on forcing myself to like FFIV and other games but there really is something wrong with them. Maybe it's because I'm already familiar with Suikoden, although it's not completely related in most ways to the main series-- that's 'on the other hand'. They didn't influence the spinoff with some recurring character or a rune.. It just adds excitement. I mean, not even ONE recurring character out of a hundred-eight. Let's take for example Viki, they may say that she had teleported to the Tiekrkreis world. *sigh*... :(

It could have been better... :(
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Well, what makes Suikoden Tierkreis somekind of special as a RPG on the DS is that it isn't a port/ a remake. Somehow most of the good DS games are either remakes or ports (FF III/IV, Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger). Of course there are others, too, but most gamers name these when it comes to DS-RPGs.

Well, I wouldn't mind establishing a "Suikoden Tierkreis" Franchise on the DS (much like FF Crystal Chronicles), as long as they start establishing the real Suikoden-Franchise on a bigger console. But I highly doubt that Konami is willing to do so and instead, we'll only see Suikodens on the DS in the future with no connection whatsoever to the old titles.
Rune

Post by Rune »

For a Suikoden game, I think almost everything about Tierkreis is fantastic. The music is outstanding and still has a very ethnic feel (with different themes and tones for different cultures). Although a lot of aspects are different, it's still Suikoden enough for me (although I think the Marks of the Stars are too simple and limiting/not as customizable as the Runes). And the characters are very well developed and very interesting to watch interact. I haven't finished the game yet, but the plot seems very Suikoden-esque (political maneuverings with underlying fantasy elements). I'm even finding the antagonists so far to be fairly gray.

That said, however, I still wish this was set in the previous world of Suikoden. Tierkreis definitely has the Suikoden formula spot-on, but what really makes the series special to me is the shared history between each game. What I do not want to see is the world of Tierkreis replace the original world. If Konami decides to have each future Suikoden game set in its own isolated/unrelated world, I think I could bear it (I'm still enjoying Tierkreis and its world's rich history, despite it not having any ties to the previous games). But I would rather it be between all unrelated worlds with each future entry or going back to the original world (and hopefully tying Tierkreis into that) than having the Tierkreis world completely replace the original world.
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

Books are mysterious indeed.
I think there may be 8 total. I got 3 so far.

Some are finding out how much power it really has, seeing the past.
Kind of how the Night rune transforms into a sword or 2 rune pieces makes a full true rune.
Maybe all these books counts for one true rune :O

Oh well wishful thinking, the game is still fun.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

There is quite alot of bad noise about Tierkreis - the same way there was bad noise when Suikdoen 4 came out (which I understood). Honestly, I don't really see what all the fuss is about this time around? Its a great game. Ok, it annoys me too that its yet another 'off-topic' Suikoden (hell it aint even in the same world!) as I'm desperate to get back to the main storyline but I find it is also a refreshing change. Its great to have a return to 2D backrounds, there are some amazing and beautiful environments and your castle (for example) feels bigger than say ...Suikoden 5's castle as a result of the 2D graphics. Still ..if they are going to use 3D character graphics - they still need to find away to imrrpove these. More improved cel-shading?

The soundtrack is one of the best produced since Miki Higashino's departure and the voice acting beats Suikdoen 4 and 5 hands down. Okay, its still noo great acting and its far too rushed in places but in general it goes at a more realistic pace than Suikoden 5. Characters are fun and interesting as is the storyline, even if it is slightly more childish, but the depth and complexity is still there.

Overall, I find this an outstanding RPG and a great Suikoden. Konami are cleary still experimenting with ideas and there are MANY ideas that can be taking from this game to add to future installments. It's also good to see an old school JRPG still look and feel great even in 2010!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I disagree Falenan_descent. It was terrible. It's the only Suikoden game I just can't bring myself to finish, much less get 108 stars. It makes Suikoden IV look impressive. Every character is annoying (especially the protagonist!), the sprites are crushed and blocky, the plot is nonsense, boring and worst of all childish. I dislike how they did away with almost everything traditionally Suikoden (wrong runes, no weapon sharpening, no duels, no grand battles, no Leknaat, different world, 4 person party). The quests are often vague and I've always hated quests that you send others on without knowing the prerequisites of what they need to have to succeed (they managed to take the only aspect off FFT that I disliked).

I certainly gave it a try, I even went back to it after a break to try again, but it's just terrible and is a waste of my time and money.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

I too can't bring myself to play it for a second time. Maybe now, after a longer pause, i can, but I don't really feel the urge to do so. If you play through the game once with all 108-characters, that's it. There is so little replay-value (and even if you didn't get the 108 SoD-ending you don't really want to play through it for a second time).
Characters are fun and interesting
Uh do you REALLY think so? To me most characters were just fillers. This was a great step back imo. Most characters just join you because... well, there is no real reason behind it. And after you have recruited them, they just stand at your castle. Well, that's just stupid and annoying.

I just think it's so uninteresting to play. I think the DS has the best options for implementing interesting and fun mini-games. But there wer NONE. Not a single mini-game. Even the so much hated Suikoden IV had a lot of them.

And these things annoy me most. I can live with the game being in another dimension/world, but it feels so poorly made. If I want a Suikoden in another Universe, I play the RPG-Maker game Exit Fate which feels so much more like a Suikoden...
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Well, I find all Suikoden characters fun and interesting but I don't think any Suikoden since S2 has had truly amazing characters. Tierkreis could do with a lot of improvements but so could S5. Yes, in many ways it is a dissappointment but it is a SPIN OFF game ...and one with a lot of promise. I look forward too see what comes next.