Don't knock it till you try it!

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: Don't knock it till you try it!

Post by Oppenheimer »

Really? You didn't think 5's characters were developed? What about Sialeeds? She's one of the more interesting characters in a while. I also had a lot of pathos for Lym. I liked the Prince even if he was a silent protagonist. Georg and that scene in the throne room with the Queen, how could you not feel for that? The characters in 5 were great, they don't in any way compare to Teirkries' drudgery.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Tierkreis was an abominable piece of crap that should have gotten Komuta fired and forced a restraining order against him ever working on videogames again.

JRPG 101, 15-year old saves the world from the evil empire with it's no-storyline-antagonist. So much better than a politically motivated story where there is no clear good or evil. It's a walking cliché and hasn't got the slightest reason to be called Suikoden, it's just a bad game with 108 characters. Hell it doesn't have the slightest reason to be called Tierkreis.

Suikoden VI, if it ever comes, better not have any -ing reference to that crap. Tierkreis didn't, let's have the real series return the favor.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Hey, don't get me wrong - I'm not talking about improving characters in S5 - I'm talkign about improving the whole game in general. However, for the record, I feel the characters in Suikoden 5 were'nt awful and they where such an improvement from S4. Also It was good to see so much depth brought back to characters and of course Georg was going to be great but I feel it was still cutting short of the standards set by S2. It's not just that - there was loads of things that wern't too great about S5 even though it was a great game and a really good Suikoden - I say the same for Teirkries.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well, I can't agree with you on that one. There were flaws but I thought V was just as good as III or II, and not even in the same universe as Teirkreis.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Ditto. I don't think V is even in the same league as II. Tierkreis is probably too different to be in the same league as any of them. At the end of the day its all a matter of opinion though, eh? :wink:
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

KC_MCDOHL wrote:the voice acting beats Suikdoen 4 and 5 hands down. !
Really? I thought that the voice acting has gone down since IV. IV's was mostly fine, V had a few cheesy voices that irked me, and Tierkreis' voices were abominable. Though the rushing did have a lot to do with it, and they probably wouldn't bother people as much if the characters took a breath every now and then.

I agree with Anti that the lack of mini-games was a big disappointment. Every other Suikoden had them, so on a system with a touch screen, there should have been at least the same amount (if not more) of mini-games as the main installments. Also, no war battles or duels? The fact that "war battles" in this game were 3 parties of normal battles and the "duels" were one-on-one battles was disappointing.

One thing I will agree with you on is the soundtrack; it was pretty damn good. Not good enough to make me want to replay the game or buy any sort of sequel to it. I don't think I'll be touching it again unless I really want to hear some of the songs.
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

Yep, lack of mini-games, war battles and duels and 6 person parties was a dissapointment - amongst other things. To be honest I wish they just didn't have voice acting in the Suikoden's - I think it ruins it. I hear its okay in Japan because they take video games more seriously over there - the acting is very good and some voice actors are really famous. Instead us Westeners get cheesy B movie type acting - its hard to swallow. However, don't forget the anime FMV sequences. They FINALLY had those in a Suikoden - about time! Very impressive! I hope to see more :D
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Yes the anime-sequences were pretty nice. They have the same ones in Phantasy Star zero (and the same font which sucks...)
KC_MCDOHL

Post by KC_MCDOHL »

The game does die a serious death towards the end. I hope they improve their storytelling amongst other things before Suiko 6
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

Even though I recieved a free copy from Konami, I still haven't finished this game. I seem to be unable to make myself interested in picking up my DS to finish this game off. There's probably some sort of flaw with plot progression.

The game was interesting when it involved the Magedom and a number of other forces. However, it got increasingly boring to me after it became apparent the plot follows the cliche good vs evil formula, with an evil religious cult involved which is another JRPG cliche. The whole concept of "Infinity" made no sense to me; there's some critical flaws that get introduced when you can have characters in parallel dimensions come and go as they please, but Tierkries treats it as if there's no causal dilemma with this setting. It's truly baffling.
Calvin

Post by Calvin »

I am also in the same boat Vextor. I put this game down many months ago and haven't picked it up since. It just doesn't interest me. It could perhaps be the fact that it is a handheld game; I am notorious for being uninterested by handheld systems. The only handheld game I ever finished was the FFVII: Advent Children game for the PSP. More than likely, however, it's the simple fact that Tierkreis seems too much like a run of the mill JRPG, instead of the unique and interesting Suikoden we all know and love. I am no longer of school age and able to devote oodles of time to playing games-the only things that keep my interest these days on the gaming front are games that are unique and interesting.
TrueWater00

Post by TrueWater00 »

Falenan_descent wrote: my post is aimed at those that haven't played it yet and refuse to because they think its going to be another Suikoden IV.
I actually enjoyed suikoden IV, sure there was a lot of things I didn't like, 4 characters, crappy rune spell graphics, 5 mermaids that you can't fight with, stupid boss, but I loved the characters, how ur weapons changed colors when u upgraded them to show a slight difference, the graphics of the elements u imbed on your weapons, the true rune of punishment, viki, jeane, and TED!, I thought it was a pretty damn fun game!

Oppenheimer wrote: It was terrible. It's the only Suikoden game I just can't bring myself to finish, much less get 108 stars.
Oppenheimer I can not finish it either, horrible, its not even that good of an RPG, boring...the mark of the stars spells are sooo lame, some characters are kool, but Most are not. ugh, waste of my time and money, and I can say that because I have played it.
Raww Le Klueze wrote:Tierkreis was an abominable piece of crap that should have gotten Komuta fired and forced a restraining order against him ever working on videogames again.

JRPG 101, 15-year old saves the world from the evil empire with it's no-storyline-antagonist. So much better than a politically motivated story where there is no clear good or evil. It's a walking cliché and hasn't got the slightest reason to be called Suikoden, it's just a bad game with 108 characters. Hell it doesn't have the slightest reason to be called Tierkreis.

Suikoden VI, if it ever comes, better not have any -ing reference to that crap. Tierkreis didn't, let's have the real series return the favor.
For once on this forum I am going to 100% agree with you Le Klueze, YA HERE THAT KONAMI!! truewater and Le Klueze can actually AGREE on something and that is TIERKEIS is a HORRIBLE, CLICHE, BORING, NON-CREATIVE game, I won't even type the work suikoden in front of it, I would be Delighted if I never saw any of those characters Ever again, along with "marks of stars" and some lame books with the oh so dangerous "librarians" going after these scary "books"
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
SuikodenTHater

Post by SuikodenTHater »

Raww Le Klueze wrote:Tierkreis was an abominable piece of crap that should have gotten Komuta fired and forced a restraining order against him ever working on videogames again.

:mrgreen: Well said!!!!!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

This topic has devolved into a purely opinion based topic. If you want to actually review the game there's a thread for that. Otherwise, this serves no purpose.