Disappointment anyone?

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
Mikalakatov

Disappointment anyone?

Post by Mikalakatov »

Okay, so I've had Suikoden T for a while now since it's release date and I have to say that I"m disappointed so far. The voice acting sounds really rushed, only three people so far sound 'normal' but it sounds like everyone is either hyper or has ADD. (Not meaning any offense to anyone that does have it)

The only thing I've found that the game has held with Suikoden is the music. The music has the feel but the game so far does not. I find the main character to be extremely annoying, not only him but Marica as well. The story could be good if they did it right, everything thus far has been predictable.

Am I the only one feeling this way? I'm not trying to bash the game but I feel as if they're crapping this out to try to make the fans happy even though it does not do any of the pre-games justice by answering any questions that we all have. The game does not even have runes in it. I found that very disappointing
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Disappointment anyone?

Post by patapi »

Probably fits better as part of the reviews and opinions topic, but definitely not in the General Discussion section. For now, let's have this here.
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

I just started playing it. I saved it after completing the Mines.
It is like playing a totally different game to me then the whole Suikoden experience.
It's like Final Fantasy the way you level up & the weapons you get to buy etc.

I agree with the voices. I mean the hero sounds like he is a hyped up immature brat. Which he pretty much is in this game. It can be the same from previous heroes. We just never got to hear them speak so we cant really judge it.
The hero may mature in time.

I am still getting into the story but so far it has been pretty predictable like the last person said. I am dure it will get better. I want some unpredictability. Not just beat the bad guy & move forward.

All in all I dont feel the Suikoden Environment. It feels like I am playing a whole new RPG.

How are we going to compare this game with the Suikoden Geography & timeline?
I guess we will find out in time. Konami really changed it alot to try to make something happen. I am still going to play it until I beat it.

Sorry for anything I said if it offends but I am just being honest. Game may get better & maybe we can understand more of what will be. We could just be jumping the gun as far as we know. We just started basically.
SpecialNewb

Post by SpecialNewb »

Interesting, I've seen lots of sites that gave it relatively good reviews. I'll be playing it eventually, and it's good to know what people think.
Alisamakora

Post by Alisamakora »

i have to say, im in the oceanside cave looking for those damned preistess beads, and im disappointed. why does it seem nintendo screwss up the more serious games?
meanwhile, im horrifically tempted to go to the next convention near herr, crap cosplay someone from the game with stuff from my closet, grab a book, and go around freaking people out by going up to them insisting they touch it. if they do, i'll shriek " DID YOU SEE ITTTT?!" XD
Rune

Post by Rune »

There have been plenty of disappointments for me, but they haven't taken away from the fact that I'm really enjoying the game. There's a lot of great stuff going on in the game (mostly with the story and characters). But at the same time, I can't deny that it has more problems than most of the other main Suikoden games. My biggest issue with the game is the localization. The script itself is written quite well (except for the hero; even if it somewhat makes sense considering he was raised in a rural village, nobody else from the village talks like he does), but there are a ton of spelling and grammar errors. There's the issue with the hero's speed talking (although otherwise I've been very impressed by the voice acting), the fact that all the battle vocalizations were removed, and the awful instruction manual and pre-order "gift." It's a bit of a turn-off, especially for someone who's looking into the series for the first time and needs to be impressed.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Removing the in-battle voices was a disappointing decision, after they dubbed everyone in Suikoden V.
Nalleo

Post by Nalleo »

I'm okay with everything but the slow running action but I think all Suikoden series have slow running action except when we have Godspeed Rune.Heck,maybe this is the first time having a feeling playing Suikoden on DS.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

More on irritated than disappointed on the long, treasure chest-less, dead-end paths. And also, mages' spells are horribly limited. it made it look like mages are least important.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Kuruma84

Post by Kuruma84 »

Disappointed? Well no, not particularly. At first it didn't really feel particularly familiar besides the music. But once I started getting further into the game, the story and characters became more and more interesting, and it definitely started feeling like Suikoden, as there are a lot of returning themes in spite of the lack of returning characters.
I liked Suikoden 1 as the beginning of the series, and I sort of feel the same about this game. Hopefully it can bring something interesting to the rest of the series.

That said, some things in the game are disappointing. Such as not having map battles, or at least not in the same way as before. No duels either. And the encounter rate can be annoying, even though the size of the dungeons seem more adjusted to this. I've noticed some grammatical errors as well in the localization. But there are actually more things in the game that I enjoy than not. I thought I wouldn't like it very much since it takes place in a different world, but I have to admit that the game has me pretty captivated right now. I'm about 25 hours into the game so far, about to help the Furious Roar.
Quing

Post by Quing »

I was extremely disappointed in Tierkreis. I was expecting a Suikoden game, not merely a game labeled "Suikoden." I'll admit that there were things that I think that the game did well. The trade system was good, there were some interesting characters, and the game gets points in my book for being the first game that I've played that actually seriously deals with polygamy. On the other hand, not only was the game not set in the Suikoden world, but it didn't seem to even be set in the same universe. Sure the group of worlds is called "the Infinity" but besides the existence of groups of 108 people who call themselves "stars" there is no similarity between the main Suikoden world and the Suikoden Tierkreis Infinity. Furthermore, Tierkreis had simplified politics, an oversimplified moral code (apparently it is okay to bash people's heads in if they believe in predeterminism), and a plot where the goal isn't just to save the world but to save the universe. Simply put, the things that the Suikoden series is best at, Tierkreis utterly fails at. And I haven't even mentioned voice acting or runes (or the lack thereof).
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Keep in mind that it's a spinoff and not in direct lineage with the others (Suikoden, Suikoden 2, etc.), so things aren't going to be the same as the others.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Quing

Post by Quing »

Yeah, I know that it was a spinoff, but so was Suikoden Tactics, and that managed to have some relevance to the plot of the series as a whole. Spinoff doesn't have to mean bad.
suikosicko

Post by suikosicko »

Despite all the negative aspects of the game, I think Tierkreis had really great concept art and character designs. I remember sitting for hours just looking at concept artwork for the game.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

If we play Tierkreis as a separate game from Suikoden series, actually its a decent game.

But once we (unconciously) think Tierkreis as a Suikoden game then all different feeling of disappointment toward the game pops up. Its doesnt have rune, six member party, different weapon system etc etc.

This is because Tierkreis is not a Suikoden game. Suikoden Tactic, even with its different genre (SRPG), still feels like a Suikoden game. Suikogaiden, despite its only an interactive novel, feels like Suikoden game. Tierkreis is in the same genre (RPG) like Suikoden series but feels more like Final Fantasy game than Suikoden game :roll: . So, can we please call it just Tierkreis rather than Suikoden Tierkreis?
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.