Voice Acting

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
Rune

Re: Voice Acting

Post by Rune »

It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but I'm not very far. The actual voices and acting are actually quite good, but the speed for the hero and occasionally other characters is awful. Hopefully it will improve!
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

I can cope with everyones voice acting. It really does not bother me but I have to say that the heroes voice is totally annoying. I mean of all the characters, why the hero lol?

Sounds like he drunk some double mocha shots & just talks so fast. He is the only character I have to read the lines instead of just hearing it. Just so immature. IAMGOINGTOGOBECAUSEISAIDIWANTTOGO!!! I mean like dude chill out lol.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

well, whatshisface from Suikoden Tactics, Kyril. . his voice was extremely unappealing.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Seems like as far as English releases are concerned, you either have them silent or get less than desirable voice work?
Aculias

Post by Aculias »

You do get used to it while playing though.
I am actually used to hearing all theri voices so it dont bother me as much anymore.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

I'm pretty sure that what happened is that everyone's voice was sped up in order to save space on the cartridge. It's just that Hero already talked "energetically" so when they sped up his voice it started to sound like a chipmunk. You can tell this in the cinematic sequences when he talks as those are not sped up.

The other characters do all talk faster than they would, it's just that they started off with slower delivery so speeding it up just makes them still sound halfway normal.

I'm torn at which is worse, sped up dialogue or having very little voice acting. I do appreciate that they voice acted almost all the plot.

What I'm doing is pretending that it's another dialect that they are speaking. That in this particular world they live in it's not english but speedenglish. That makes it slightly more bearable.
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

A GameFAQs review praised the game's VA. Scored 10/10 i guess.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Maybe that person also speaks in superfastdon'ttakeabreathlanguage and so was happy that someone else spoke their dialect.
Rune

Post by Rune »

patapi wrote:Seems like as far as English releases are concerned, you either have them silent or get less than desirable voice work?
The problem is that there's no reason for it to be like that. For some reason, developers have these strange ideas that it's a good idea to match the Japanese voices (resulting in shrill younger females in many cases) or cut costs by drastically reducing the quality (such as the sped up voices in this case). FFXII had absolutely fantastic voice acting, and even Suikoden IV and V had quite good acting as well. When it comes to localizing a game, presentation should be a huge priority, since everything else is pretty much already done for you.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Oppenheimer wrote:Maybe that person also speaks in superfastdon'ttakeabreathlanguage and so was happy that someone else spoke their dialect.

He's one of us
one of us
one of us

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Rune

Post by Rune »

Oppenheimer wrote:I'm pretty sure that what happened is that everyone's voice was sped up in order to save space on the cartridge. It's just that Hero already talked "energetically" so when they sped up his voice it started to sound like a chipmunk. You can tell this in the cinematic sequences when he talks as those are not sped up.

The other characters do all talk faster than they would, it's just that they started off with slower delivery so speeding it up just makes them still sound halfway normal.

I'm torn at which is worse, sped up dialogue or having very little voice acting. I do appreciate that they voice acted almost all the plot.

What I'm doing is pretending that it's another dialect that they are speaking. That in this particular world they live in it's not english but speedenglish. That makes it slightly more bearable.
I thought you were right at first, but I'm starting to think otherwise now. Most of the characters do sound normal during regular dialogue, and some characters would sound awful if they were any slower (such as Liu). Also, I'm much further into the game, and the hero is starting to talk considerably slower (most of the time, at least).
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

You could be right Rune, now that I have been introduced to a couple more speaking characters it's unlikely they are all sped up. I still think that the hero's digitally altered though, he can't be actually giving his lines like that on purpose.
Sutarion

Post by Sutarion »

If they sped up the audio for spacing saving purposes, I wonder if they could have slowed it down in real time before playback. I'm not sure if the DS processor is powerful enough to do that while still running the game, but I'd be curious to know if it could be an effective space saving trick.
Gunloc

Post by Gunloc »

The voice acting is hit or miss for me. Sieg is just strange and there are some other less than stellar choices. (Roberto.)

But another weird problem is that some of the lines are read completely out of context or have no emphasis on words or phrases emphasized in the text.
Nalleo

Post by Nalleo »

Well,all in all the voice acting is great!But some voices aren't appropiate to the appearances of some characters.