Voice Acting

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
Rune

Voice Acting

Post by Rune »

Every preview of the game in English has stated that the voice acting is overall very weak, particularly for the main characters. And from the handful of gameplay videos I've seen, I would agree entirely (although some of the side characters sound pretty decent). With all the promotion for the Japanese voice acting, however, as well as from what I've heard in the trailer, it doesn't sound nearly as bad.

To those who've played the Japanese version (or better yet, those who actually understand Japanese), what is your opinion of the voice acting? I would be extremely disappointed if they only screwed up the VA in the English version, after IV and V turned out so well (even Tactics sounded better than this, and it had its own share of voicing issues). I've been considering getting the Japanese version, but if there really is a huge difference in voicing quality, I may get it after all even if I can't really understand it.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Re: Voice Acting

Post by patapi »

Save for Sisuca, IMO the Japanese voice actors captured the personality well. Konami did hire quite a bit of big names in the industry and they pulled off their worth just fine.

Though, honestly, I think most of the complaints is about the VA of this new non-silent Suikoden protagonist. His voice may not be as bad as he is in the English version (at least in the pre-release trailers), but his punch line gets tiring when you hear it for the 99th time in the game.

p.s. The Japanese VA for Sisuca is the same as the singer who sang the OP and ED. Her voiced lines are such a huge contrast in quality against the other established VAs, tbqh.
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

Rune wrote:Every preview of the game in English has stated that the voice acting is overall very weak, particularly for the main characters.
Saying it's weak is like like saying Nazis were slightly unpleasant.

The worst voice acting I have ever heard in any game in my life.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Then you haven't heard the worst.

Like, Chaos Wars. Sigh.
Braxiatel
Banned User

Post by Braxiatel »

Until this game, Robot Alchemic Drive was the worst I'd heard.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnRX94tkQRw

But this game is worse.
LanceHeart

Post by LanceHeart »

You obviously haven't played Mega Man ZX Advent.

You haven't played most of the Mega Man franchise, actually. Nor have you ever heard old-school voice acting in games.
Formerly known as: Gothann
Role

Post by Role »

LanceHeart wrote:You obviously haven't played Mega Man ZX Advent.

You haven't played most of the Mega Man franchise, actually. Nor have you ever heard old-school voice acting in games.
Oh, gawd... I swear, if I hear Ashe say 'booty' ONE MORE TIME... Capcom really messed up on that game.

Here's to hoping that Tierkreis ain't as bad as ZX Advent...
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

The voice acting is SO TERRIBLE!

I seriously am giving this game a second thought just because of how putrid the voice actors are. They seriously went to Elementary Schools around America to find these people. Good lawd!

Is there a way to change it to a different language on the American version?
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
Sutarion

Post by Sutarion »

I'm not sure I agree. With the exception of the main character, the voice acting seems very natural to me. Most of the dialog seems to flow like an actual conversation, which is uncommon in games, particularly handhelds. Overall, I think the VO is one of the pluses of the game.

My exception with the main character is the speed at which he talks. The guy needs to take some chill pills. Sometimes I can't understand what he is saying without reading the text, which is a problem. Some of the other characters seem to share his quick speech, which makes me wonder if it may have some sort of technical reason behind it. It's just a shame that the main character's voice is the one to suffer from it.
Redheim

Post by Redheim »

Yeah, that's what I meant.

The actual voice acting isn't so terrible, it just sounds like some of them are on Aterol.

IWASWALK!!INGONTHETRAIL!!ANDMONSTERSATTACKEDME!!!!!

It's all like, wat? O_o?
Keep your Coins, I want Change.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

One thing for sure, the English-speaking Sisuca is miles better than the Japanese version.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

it didn't seem that bad to me.

But I guess I'll see when it gets here.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore
Runemaster

Post by Runemaster »

Not that bad at all. 2 hours on the game, Liu's voice seem to be best (most natural).

Understanding the hero's character, he seems to be a really energetic teenager and says his sentences naturally fast. The mistake could be the more mature-sounding voice.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
TchukoMaluko

Post by TchukoMaluko »

It's not that bad. The main character talks really quick, but that's not really a con. Every other characters I've heard so far sound nice.
English is not my native language, so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.
RangerDeon

Post by RangerDeon »

Most people do prefer it to be in Japanese. . but I hate subtitles.

"I wasn't getting rid of you. I want you to do whatever you want to do with me. I know that sounded dirty, and dirty things count, but I didn't mean the dirty things. You and me can hang whenever, wherever."
-Lorelai Gilmore