Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Suikoden Tierkreis pre-release board.
suikodian
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby suikodian » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:12 am

Rezard wrote:I dont understand japanese, so I would like to ask: What are those "development costs"? Does that include only the costs from the productive departament? Or the costs from the entire company (accounting, investor's share)? Or total costs (taxes, distribuiontion costs, sales commission, etc)?

I don't understand Japanese either. Gaming companies usually do not release any information related to the cost of their games. However, the source explicitly says that it is the development cost.
Rezard wrote:I seriously doubt that a mid popularity game, let alone any legal activity, would be that profitable. I think there are other costs. If I use your data, income = $7.2 millions, cost = $530,000, there would be more than 1000% profit in 2 years. That's impossible, there must be something we are missing.

That is because it is DS. Developing for the DS is extremely cheap. On the other hand, the cost of PS3 games can go up to $30 millions easily. I remember Kojima saying that MGS4 has to sell at least one million copies day one to cover its cost.

User avatar
Iku
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:08 am
Location: Doncaster England
Contact:

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Iku » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:26 am

i'm sorry brax but its silly to just put our fingers in our ears and pretend not to hear the facts, s5 was pretty much what we all wanted, but it sold bad, s4 wasnt exactly our favourite to say the least but it sold the best. How do you think a company, that is there to make money, is gonna see that. Then if tierkries with its 4 person party and detached world (kinda like 4) sells well, a company is gonna reproduce more of what did well. Which isnt what we want but if thats what sells. Im sure the company wants loyal fans but if its a choice between loyal fans and more sales im pretty sure they'll choose the sales.
Sorry about putting a downer on this, but to be honest i havent even played tierkries yet, it may be my favourite game yet, i doubt it but ya know!
And brax to ban me for expressing an oppinion that isnt pro suikoden is rather stupid
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax

User avatar
Iku
Posts: 328
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:08 am
Location: Doncaster England
Contact:

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Iku » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:26 am

i'm sorry brax but its silly to just put our fingers in our ears and pretend not to hear the facts, s5 was pretty much what we all wanted, but it sold bad, s4 wasnt exactly our favourite to say the least but it sold the best. How do you think a company, that is there to make money, is gonna see that. Then if tierkries with its 4 person party and detached world (kinda like 4) sells well, a company is gonna reproduce more of what did well. Which isnt what we want but if thats what sells. Im sure the company wants loyal fans but if its a choice between loyal fans and more sales im pretty sure they'll choose the sales.
Sorry about putting a downer on this, but to be honest i havent even played tierkries yet, it may be my favourite game yet, i doubt it but ya know!
And brax to ban me for expressing an oppinion that isnt pro suikoden is rather stupid
'Believed the evidence of your own eyes, did ya? In a place like this?' Granny Weatherwax

KoRnholio
Global Admin
Posts: 1427
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:57 am

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby KoRnholio » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:33 pm

Iku wrote:i'm sorry brax but its silly to just put our fingers in our ears and pretend not to hear the facts, s5 was pretty much what we all wanted, but it sold bad, s4 wasnt exactly our favourite to say the least but it sold the best. How do you think a company, that is there to make money, is gonna see that.


I disagree with that reasoning. I think negative reaction to Suikoden IV is what caused Suikoden V's low sales. A significant amount of people simply 'gave up' on the series after IV. So I think if they had skipped IV and went straight from III to V, V would have sold a lot more.

Its arguable whether or not they can make up for IV's negative impact, sales-wise, without reaching out to new fans to replace the lost ones. That (along with other reasons) could easily be a reason for Tierkreis' changes.

Braxiatel
Banned User
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Braxiatel » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:44 pm

Iku wrote:i'm sorry brax but its silly to just put our fingers in our ears and pretend not to hear the facts, s5 was pretty much what we all wanted, but it sold bad, s4 wasnt exactly our favourite to say the least but it sold the best. How do you think a company, that is there to make money, is gonna see that. Then if tierkries with its 4 person party and detached world (kinda like 4) sells well, a company is gonna reproduce more of what did well. Which isnt what we want but if thats what sells. Im sure the company wants loyal fans but if its a choice between loyal fans and more sales im pretty sure they'll choose the sales.
Sorry about putting a downer on this, but to be honest i havent even played tierkries yet, it may be my favourite game yet, i doubt it but ya know!
And brax to ban me for expressing an oppinion that isnt pro suikoden is rather stupid


There's tons of terrible stuff that sells well. That doesn't mean it should be made in the first place.

You're excusing mediocrity.

JanusThePaladin
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:02 am
Location: Under your bed, planning your intricate death...
Contact:

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby JanusThePaladin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Allowing your continued existence excuses mediocrity.

Anyway, the question here is has STK been a success or not. The answer seems to be that it depends on the context. Obviously when compared to other Suikoden spin offs, it has been successful. But as a mainstream game, or even in its own right, it has yet to come up to par.

Antimatzist
Posts: 2564
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany, yeah baby
Contact:

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Antimatzist » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:46 am

Are there any new numbers on how much it sold?

User avatar
Runemaster
Posts: 922
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 8:18 am
Location: Pilipinas
Contact:

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Runemaster » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:55 am

JanusThePaladin wrote:Allowing your continued existence excuses mediocrity.

Anyway, the question here is has STK been a success or not. The answer seems to be that it depends on the context. Obviously when compared to other Suikoden spin offs, it has been successful. But as a mainstream game, or even in its own right, it has yet to come up to par.

But it IS a spin-off. Isn't it unfair to compare it to the mainstream titles?
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!

JanusThePaladin
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:02 am
Location: Under your bed, planning your intricate death...
Contact:

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby JanusThePaladin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:50 pm

That depends on how you want to look at it. If you're looking at it as the Savior of the Series, then no, you cant give it an exception as spin off title. I personally dont see it that way, though others have been quoted to say something similar. I see it as just another spin off, and in my opinion its been successful.

Rezard
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:58 pm

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Rezard » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:40 pm

Antimatzist wrote:Are there any new numbers on how much it sold?


The sales have been falling at a slower pace compared to SV:
Week 1 - 63,710
Week 2 - 27,158
Week 3 - 20,529
Week 4 - 8,697
Week 5 - 7,651
Week 6 - 6,325
Week 7 - 5,107
Total - 139,177

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=30121

Braxiatel
Banned User
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Braxiatel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:05 pm

JanusThePaladin wrote:Allowing your continued existence excuses mediocrity.


If you can't make an argument without making a personal attack, just shut up.

User avatar
Lemmy Claypool
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:47 pm

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Lemmy Claypool » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:04 am

Braxiatel wrote:
JanusThePaladin wrote:Allowing your continued existence excuses mediocrity.


If you can't make an argument without making a personal attack, just shut up.

If you can't post in a thread without resurrecting an old arguement that has since been moved on from, just shut up.

User avatar
Runemaster
Posts: 922
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 8:18 am
Location: Pilipinas
Contact:

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Runemaster » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:54 am

Braxiatel wrote:
JanusThePaladin wrote:Allowing your continued existence excuses mediocrity.


If you can't make an argument without making a personal attack, just shut up.

I don't think the "you" refers to you (Brax) but is referred generally to the games/ Suikoden.

But anyway, like Lemmy said, let's move on. :D
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!

Braxiatel
Banned User
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Braxiatel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Lemmy Claypool wrote:
Braxiatel wrote:
JanusThePaladin wrote:Allowing your continued existence excuses mediocrity.


If you can't make an argument without making a personal attack, just shut up.

If you can't post in a thread without resurrecting an old arguement that has since been moved on from, just shut up.


Try following your own board rules mod.

I thought personal attacks weren't allowed.

Antimatzist
Posts: 2564
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:48 am
Location: Germany, yeah baby
Contact:

Re: So, has Tierkreis been a success or not?

Postby Antimatzist » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:36 pm

Damn, just be quiet, everyone, this is getting enerving.

@Topic: It's getting out here in about a month and I'm quite looking forward to it. In its Previews, it gets quite good grades (even betetr ons than Dragon Quest Oo), so I hope it will succeed here.


Return to “Suikoden Tierkreis General Information”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest