False choices

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

False choices

Post by Oppenheimer »

I was just playing through the beginning of Suiko V again and I decided to do the part where you first get the tour of Stormfist twice, once picking one set of options, the other time picking the exact opposite.

What was annoying was that nothing changed. Here's the breakdown of the ones that appear to be a choice:

Docks "Come to the banquet"
- Sure! (George says he wants to look around and Gizel offers a tour)
- I want to get right to work (Gizel agrees and offers a tour)

Dragon Horses "Do you want to go see them?"
- Yes! (Walk outside, can't meet them because horses are gone, Sialeeds says she hates lizards again)
- Not really (Stay still, Sialeeds says she hates lizards again)

Gladiator Dungeon "The Prince doesn't need to see this, moving on"
- No I want to see it. (You go downstairs and see the dungeon)
- Yes, moving on (You stay still. If you try to go downstairs Gizel will ask you again. Tour will never end until you change your mind and decide to go see them)

Tour ends, want to see town next?
- Yeah sure! (You agree to go, Sialeeds leaves party)
- I don't know. . . (Lyon interrupts and says you should go. Sialeeds leaves party)

Those are the bigger ones. Pretty much every other option is just you agreeing with something or saying something slightly differnent in one option or another. In these cases the next line of dialog from whoever you're talking to is different and then the dialog continues afterwards the same as it was.

I know there are "liking points" but still I think that it's really annoying how you actually have no choice in what you do and when you do it. It makes me feel like I'm just watching a movie, not playing a game. If they were going to be like that they should just have made the entire section non-interactive and have Gizel walk you around and show you things. What's the point in making you walk around?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: False choices

Post by KFCrispy »

as if Suikoden games are that open-ended?
the most you can do in Suikoden I is kill some generals or recruit them. Barbarossa in 1 didn't care whether you were nice or rude to him...
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Re: False choices

Post by Oppenheimer »

Well, I'm not asking for game changing differences (although that would be nice) but things like asking if we want to see the Dragon Horses and no matter what they aren't there is a bit strange. I just don't see why they walk me all the way out there or give me the option when it results in nothing. . . that and my apartment is too hot so it makes me grumpy *big smilie here*

I'm actually kind of surprised that there's the defend the castle big plot change, complete with a seperate cutscene. A choice that matters? craziness!

Barbossa should have lopped your head off. That's a good way to start a new game ;o)

I suppose I'm more leniant on Suikoden I and II because the disc size is smaller so they had less space to work in those kinds of details.