Some hybrid suggestions?

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
RVallant

Some hybrid suggestions?

Post by RVallant »

I've been very tempted to play through Suikoden 5 a few more times now, the last time the game got an outing was on the PS2! Now I have a PS3 I never got the chance to use a New Game+ file so I'll be starting with a clean slate again.

I was hoping for some suggestions on some nice hybrid characters who would be worth using on my new file for my main party so that I have some level of consistency with my team regardless of any forced-on-characters and such.

What I mean by this is, party members who join relatively early, who are excellent physical attackers with room for magical runes attached. I'm not a fan of the boost-double strike-killer combo or anything like that I simply prefer the rather old fashioned, strong combatent with magical abilities. Preferably people who are available a lot too!

I've got some ideas below but if anyone can add to it or provide alternatives I'd be very happy ^_^ Keep in mind I'm very rusty I haven't touched Suikoden 5 since my first playthrough! O_o

Oh and I'd like to steer clear of people like Zerase and um I think it's Richard(?) for their god-modeness. My point of the hybrid character set up is for some quick clearing out of normal enemies and with enough runes for some magic shows when the bosses show up, I'm not looking for weak end characters for a challenge but I don't want super-zealot characters either if it makes sense?

-

Prince - Dawn Rune - Medium Range.

There's room for alternative runes but I'm unsure what to go for. I'm guessing a killer rune or a more attacking magical rune. I notice he's a bit slow without a speed skill added, I usually sub them for Technique and Magic Defence but I'm thinking Royal Paradise and Fate Control end game?

Lyon - Twilight Rune - Medium Range.

Not sure what other runes to add, I was thinking Shield or water since her speed lets her do the whole healing instantly... Again not sure about skills either. She's in as I simply can't not have her in this... O_o

-Suggestions from guides-

Georg Prime - Short Range

I think I've eliminated him at this stage since he doesn't match the critera but he is super cool mind...

Kyle - Water rune - Short range

I'm a fan of Kyle's personality. I'm very tempted to include him, even if he does run off early on @_@

Isabel - Short Range

Seems popular but I don't know much about her, my memory is lacking. Seems like she has a good affinity for fire and she's another up-front hitter which, suits me but I'm not sure.

Isato - Long Range

I've heard of Isato one-shotting everything with barrage, he seems decent enough stat wise and affinity wise... Does he fall into the same line as Zerase and Richard mind? O_o

Miakis - Short range

I think I'm going to include Miakis, if I remember she replaces Lyon late-game doesn't she? If only for a bit, she's pure coolness anyway... Isn't she like a souped up Lyon? I forget...

Mathias Mid range.

Again my memory is hazy, I have nothing on this guy but water affinity. I'm also unsure if he and Isabel join early enough for a lot of use?

Shigure Short.

Hmm I'm guessing he'd be somewhat decent with a wind rune but he doesn't seem much of a hybrid...

---

As you can see I'm a bit stumped. Probably some of the ideas there aren't really all that. =(

I'm leaning towards Kyle and Miakis since I really like them two personality wise and character wise, but I'm still looking for other slots to be filled, with one or two spare so I can fiddle with it at times...

Any help? :)
highwind44029

Re: Some hybrid suggestions?

Post by highwind44029 »

Lelei's a decent tank that could double as a mage. You get her early on.

Lorelai and Zweig make decent hybrids too.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

for Prince going hybrid, use Royal Paradise and Sacred Oath. this maximizes his over stat bonuses while focusing on magic boosts (offense/def) with Sacred Oath. you also get a really effective Magic Sword with these 2 skills.

Lyon can boost her magic with Sacred Oath and Divine Right, or Sacred Oath and just the Magic skill. or you can go with Sacred Oath + All-Out Strike to enhance her attacks. Shield Rune is fine, but at end game remember she'll have Twilight, and you might be better off having a weaker character use Shield since she is such a good attacker.

I don't think Isabel's good with magic.

both Isato and Urda have good magic skills and yes they can hit hard thanks to having 3 rune slots. if you give them magic runes they will be more "fair". nobody bothers to trick them out like Killey because Killey, Kyle, and Miakis are still way stronger..

Mathias starts with a Cyclone Rune, and he can wear the awesome Windspun Set if you can collect it. i think that would end up boosting his wind affinity to S to maximize damage, and his 0 speed penalty lets him cast it and attack in good time.

i don't Shigure is good with magic.

Sharmista can be a decent hybrid. her magic is better than her attack but she gets Long Throw.

Kisara and Lelei can play your hybrid roles. Lelei ends up with impressive magic stats and can wear heavy armor.
There's also Norma, Lun, the beavers, Rahal, Roy, Zweig, Lorelai.......
hotspot

Post by hotspot »

Faylen- Long range
she has two empty rune slots and her boomerang causes massive damage she is also a decent magician and has decent hp, the only thing is that she only excells in wind magic, the rest she's not too good in.

Lu- Long range, Mischief rune
She has one empty slot and if you get her agility up she can continously attack 4 times, lu is very easy to turn into a strong character in many ways like magic or hp. she's good as an attacker, also if you give her an elemental rune i suggest a lightning rune.
"Every lie contains the truth, and every truth contains a lie..."~ Shu

Suiko-Kya-Cross
Forum about the Suikoden, Kya Dark Lineage and the Chrono games.
○♦•¤Suiko-Kya-Cross○♦•¤
mpieco

Post by mpieco »

it's strange, i thought you mentioned something about being available for the most part of the game, and then i see georg prime on your list. that doesn't fit.

anyway, two characters i think a lot of people overlook are Logg and Lun. Kisara is ok too, but the fact that she is strictly S-Ranged detracts from her a bit. Logg has HUGE HP and is a great candidate for firefly/violence. Lun is pretty balanced in terms of physical/magic capability, and has a sweet weapon, and a sweet ability (Pierce). The Raftfleet people in general are too underrated in this game. =[