[Guide] Strategy / War Battle Drops (Victory+ strategies)

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Kirkis

[Guide] Strategy / War Battle Drops (Victory+ strategies)

Post by Kirkis »

*** The Victory+ prize might not be rewarded if you lose and choose continue (restart from the beginning of the battle). ***

Special Thanks To: Skrybe & MatildaWhiteKnight for supplying additional information!

Okay... well, I suppose somebody had to do this for the sake of sanity... I have yet to find an actual comprehensive guide to all the war battles, unfortunately I decided to start writing this almost 3/4 the way into the game, I plan on going back and doing the rest my 2nd time through.

*'s will denote a VERY rare item.

First Battle Defense of Rainwall
No special drops
Victory+: Hungry Wolf Tactic

Intercepting Luger's Fleet Defense of Ratfleet
Combatship: Stamina Ring
ArcShip: Flowing Piece
Victory+: Luck Ring

Note: Do Not target Luger's ship if you want the special drops. Battle will also end if Braham Luger's ship goes under 100 HP. Also, there is a glitch you can exploit here if you rest at the Inn, and then return to Raja's Ship, you can keep repeating the mission, and get an unlimitted supply of Flowing Pieces, Stamina Rings, & Luck Rings if you have the patience for it.

Rainwall Defense Campaign (MatildaWhiteKnightLeader's strategy, RPG Seeker's strategy)
Calvary Units x3 (NOT Jidan's unit): Speed Ring, Lance Armor, Attack Ring
Victory+: Guardian Boots

Note: Go south into the forest, DON'T attack Dilber if you're aiming for Victory+, the battle ends when Jidan is at 50% health.

Hatred Fortress Battle (KFCrispy's notes)

2x ArcShips with Barrage Skill = Rage Piece and Cyclone piece
Combat Ship CLOSEST to the fortress = Technique Ring
Victory+ = Thunder Helm*

Note: To get Victory+, you CANNOT kill all the ships. You need at least one enemy ship to retreat back to the fortress..
Thus it's insanely HARD to obtain ALL of the above cause one of those arcships is close to the fortress also.

Lelcar Campaign (RPG Seeker's strategy)
Combat Ship = Sprite Gauntlets*
Rune Archer Ship = Flowing Piece
Victory+ = Guardian Chain

Note: The Sprite Gauntlets can only be found during this specific battle.

Capturing Doraat
Combat Ship (North-most) = Pale Moon Gloves
Archer Ship = Thunder Piece
Ram = Stone of Strength
Victory+ = Guardian Scarf

New Queen's Campaign
Cavalry Unit (left side of map) = Stone of Speed
Archer Unit (left side of map) = Guardian Gloves
Spear Unit (left side of map) = Rage Piece
Cavalry Unit (center of map) = Mother Earth Piece
Victory+ = Spun Silver Armor

Note: It's worth noting that Lymsleia's Rune Archer unit is invincible.

Defending Lelcar
Cavalry / Wilhelm & Mueller (if you did not recruit them) = Cape of Destiny
Archer Ship = Cyclone Piece
Ram = Stone of Evasion

Defending Lordlake (KFCrispy's strategy)
Cavalry = Cape of Destiny
Archer x2 = Stone of Skill, Cyclone Piece

Final Defense Campaign 1 - occurs if you choose to defend the castle
Final Defense Campaign battles: Any item-dropping units you kill in the first half of the battle will not appear in the second half, following the duel; however, any that you do not kill during the first half will be present during the second half. In other words, you have two opportunities to get all four of the item drops from this battle (Blinking Rune Pc, Flowing Piece, Thun God's Armor, Armband of Destiny), but you can't get any one item more than once.
Infantry Unit = Thunder God's Armor
Archer Unit = Armband of Destiny
Archer Ship = Blinking Rune Piece

Final Defense Campaign 2 - occurs if you choose to defend the castle, after the duel
Archer Unit = Armband of Destiny
Victory+ = Fog Robe

Recapturing the Castle - occurs if you fled from the castle (SuikoMJM's notes on getting Victory+, KFCrispy's strategy)
Combat Ship = Thunder God Armor
Archer Ship = Flowing Piece
Archer Unit = Armbands of Destiny*
Victory+ = Fog Robe

Note: This is your only chance at the Armbands of Destiny!

Childerich Pursuit Battle
Rune Archer Unit (Rage) = Rage Piece
Dilber's Spear Unit = Crown of Destiny
Rune Archer Ship(Flowing) = Flowing Piece
Victory+ = Windspun Cape*

Note: Childerich is Invincible for this battle, also this is one of the rare chances to get a Windspun set piece.

OR (You have to make a choice between the top or the bottom battle; the Childerich Pursuit is far easier because the enemies are spread out, you have naval advantage, Childerich's unit doesn't participate, and you have full control over when it ends)

Armes Pursuit Battle
Infantry Unit (4-star) = Crown of Destiny
Rune Archer Unit (Flowing) = Flowing Piece
Victory+ = Windspun Cape*

Note: Battle ends once you get Jidan's health to 50%, also this is one of the rare chances to get a Windspun set piece.

Stormfist Siege
Archer Ship (without Barrage) = Stone of Strength
Ram Ship = Stone of Luck
Victory+ = Master's Garb

Note: DreamyWarrior00 on twitch (look for 11/15 or 11/16 of 2018) did not attack Alenia or Zahhak and sailed the Dahak into Stormfist, getting Victory+ but no drop. You may have to attack the units and force them to withdraw.

Sol-Falena Siege - part 1
Cavalry Unit (Left) = Tachibana Greaves
Cavalry Unit (Right) = Fujiwara Gauntlets*
Rune Archer Ship (Rage) = Stone of Magic
Ram Ship = Stone of Magic
Rune Archer Unit (Thunder) = Gray Coat*
Victory+ = Karaya Armband*

Note: Only chance for Karaya Armband, & Gray Coat to my knowledge, battle ends upon half health of Alenia or Zahak.

Sol-Falena Siege - part 2
Rune Archer Ship = Resurrection Piece
Archer Ship = Pale Gate Piece
Victory+ = Fortune Piece

Note: Replace the Raftfleet Family Ship with another Ram, and pack them both full of Recovers, you're gonna need it! Also, You can win by getting either Alenia or Zahak to 50% HP...
Last edited by Kirkis on Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:30 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Skrybe

Post by Skrybe »

Well, none of the units in the very first war battle ("First Battle") drop any items.
Dinn

Post by Dinn »

Just do what I do- leave none alive. Some of the war battles that end when you halve the enemy commmanders' unit size can get tricky. However, I used the strategy guide to get me through the war battles- and I got through all of them without losing a single character.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

That strategy normally works, but even so, you take a risk at taking way too long fighting and not getting a Victory+. I believe this happened to me on my 4th or 5th Strategy Battle, I think at Lelcar.
Skrybe

Post by Skrybe »

Happened to have an old save right before this one:

Lelcar Campaign
Combat Ship = Sprite Gauntlets
Victory+ = Guardian Chain

None of the other units drop anything. Also, it looks like the Sprite Gauntlets can only be found during this specific battle.
Skrybe

Post by Skrybe »

New Queen's Campaign
Cavalry (left side of map) = Stone of Speed
Archer (left side of map) = Guardian Gloves
Spear (left side of map) = Rage Piece
Cavalry (center of map) = Mother Earth Piece
Victory+ = Spun Silver Armor

It's worth noting that Lymsleia's Rune Archer unit is invincible. No units other than those listed above drop anything.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

Oh, if you're anywhere near the attack on Sable or Doraat, I'm doing Doraat this time through, so, if possible please do Sable.
Skrybe

Post by Skrybe »

Kirkis wrote:Oh, if you're anywhere near the attack on Sable or Doraat, I'm doing Doraat this time through, so, if possible please do Sable.
Sure thing:

Armes Pursuit Battle
Infantry Unit (lower) = Crown of Destiny
Rune Archer Unit (Flowing) = Flowing Piece
Victory+ = Windspun Cape

Looks like the prizes in the Armes battle and the Childerich battle are the same. Also, reducing Jidan's unit to half HP ends this battle even if the Prince hasn't entered Sable yet.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

The battle ended for me when I ended up killing Bahram's Unit... so I'm not entirely sure if it was just dumb luck, or what, because the Prince was on the bridge to Doraat at the time.
Skrybe

Post by Skrybe »

I went back and checked on my game, and killing Bahram's unit during the Childerich pursuit didn't end the battle for me.

Stormfist Siege
Archer Ship (without Barrage) = Stone of Strength
Ram Ship = Stone of Luck
Victory+ = Master's Garb
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

hahaha, looks like me and you are around the same point Skrybe, I was just doing the Stormfist Siege myself, and that's what I came up with.

I didn't kill a handful of units, like Dilber, Childerich, and the 2 Barrage Archer Unit on the land... but I got exactly what you got.
Skrybe

Post by Skrybe »

Yep, I'm just about to start the Sol-Falena battles myself, but it looks like you beat me to them.

The item list for Stormfist (and the rest of the stuff I posted) should be complete, I made sure I checked every unit before I posted here, both for the sake of a complete guide, and so I personally wouldn't miss something like the Armbands of Destiny again.

In the lists you have for the Sol-Falena battles, did you check all of the units? I read that you could get a Gray Hat during one of the battles, but they could have been wrong about that.

And one minor thing: You can actually get unlimited Tachibana Greaves by repeatedly fighting one of the bosses in the final dungeon, but the Sol-Falena battles are the first place you can find one.
Kirkis

Post by Kirkis »

I didn't 100% check everyone, I think I avoided killing Alenia & Zahak in both battles, but I pretty much slaughtered everyone else. If anything, I'm glad that we are both doing it, so we have cross-references, etc.

Side-Note: A lot of the items on the Armor Set pieces FAQ on GameFAQs.com seem to be horriblely wrong, either that or you get different items depending on certain random things?
Skrybe

Post by Skrybe »

I just finished the first Sol-Falena battle, and can verify that everything on your list is correct. I beat every unit except for Alenia and Zahhak, then cut Alenia's unit down to half HP, at which point the fight ended. I'm assuming getting Zahhak down to half HP will also end the battle. I'll check out the second Sol-Falena battle later.
Skrybe

Post by Skrybe »

Took a couple of tries, but I was able to beat every unit in the second Sol-Falena battle, and got the same results you did. Also, you're right about being able to end the battle early by halving the HP of Zahhak or Alenia.

I'll probably be taking a break from the game once I finish this playthrough, so I probably won't be contributing much more to this. Good luck with the rest of it.