Resurrection Rune

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Sovereign Rune

Resurrection Rune

Post by Sovereign Rune »

What does everyone think of this rune in S5? I think the rune is very useful, but I was extremely disappointed in the Charm Arrow animation. Seems like all the runes in this game could have had much better animations. Konami needs to come up with a way to make the animations more like S2's were.
Lourde Incarnadine

Re: Resurrection Rune

Post by Lourde Incarnadine »

Sovereign Rune wrote:What does everyone think of this rune in S5? I think the rune is very useful, but I was extremely disappointed in the Charm Arrow animation. Seems like all the runes in this game could have had much better animations. Konami needs to come up with a way to make the animations more like S2's were.
I completely agree; I've made pretty much this same topic on other boards. It doesn't bother me when some of the other Runes get their spell animations nerfed, but Resurrection was always my favorite. But now... it looks like something out of a Saturn or first-gen PSX game. I'm not exaggerating, either; it literally reminds me of spells and attacks from Grandia, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III, and Wild ARMs.

On the weird side, it could just be my imagination, but... it seems like the damage ratio for Resurrection Rune is a little better than some other Runes; like it's still not as powerful as a Thunder Rune or a Rage Rune, but you can expect Charm Arrow to do a lot more damage than merely 300. Even on enemies that aren't undead, I'll see it do around three times the listed damage for the spell. I've seen Charm Arrow do over 1,000 damage to a non-undead enemy, and against undead it'll do damage on par with or superior to the kind of damage Zerase can do with her L4 Star Rune spell. It's still not the strongest magic Rune, but I find it more effective than the spell descriptions would indicate.

Another REALLY weird bit- I've seen Scolding, which is a single-target spell, hit MULTIPLE ENEMIES. Not just once, but twice; both times it was being used by Alhazred w/Divine Right (A-Rank), A-ranked Holy affinity, Resurrection + Magic Absorb + Magical Runes, and equipped with an eye towards boosting his MAG. The last time it did it was in the Big Hole, against a Mummy - Royal Mummy - Mummy group. One Mummy died from physical attacks, and when Al cast Scolding on the Royal Mummy both it and the regular Mummy were damaged, though the Mummy only took about half of the damage that the Royal one did. No one else was casting any spells, using any L-Ranged or projectile-based attacks, or anything like that, either; it was just Scolding...

But interesting quirks aside, the spell animations do still look crappy compared to their SuikoI-II forms. I'm not normally one to complain about spell graphics, but after having the Resurrection Rune MIA for SuikoIII and IV I was a little disappointed.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

is Alhazred the best choice for Resurrection?
Lourde Incarnadine

KFCrispy wrote:is Alhazred the best choice for Resurrection?
Probably not, but there are worse. He's got the MAG stats to make a good mage with plenty of MP, he gets three Rune Slots, and while he doesn't have an A or S in anything, he's got a B in every magical element so you can use an Amulet or other piece of equipment to bump it up easily. He's sort of a utility mage; he can do pretty much any spell Runes. S-Range weapon.

I ended up switching him out for Bernadette, though. She's a little faster, she's got better HP, better MAG, she can use better armor, she has a L-Ranged weapon (which means she's more likely to hit when she attacks, and therefore restore MP with that Magic Absorb Rune), and she's got a B in Holy too. Her Agility Skill also goes higher than Al's, so she can get a little more speed from that to cast faster.

I gave Bernadette Resurrection + Magic Absorb + Flowing. That way, she's got Scolding and Charm Arrow for L1 and L3 spells, but has group healing on a more convenient spell level with Flowing- it's nice that Resurrection has a resurrection spell as a L2, but unless you die a lot you'd probably agree that having more group-heals > having more resurrection. Plus Flowing has a resurrection spell as L4, so basically it's like switching Resurrection Rune's L2 with its L4, with the added bonus of being able to use combination magic.

Really, though, it seems like most of the characters in the game have a B or worse in Holy magic. The only one I know of with a higher affinity is Eresh, who has an A, but has a permanent Pale Gate Rune on her forehead and a permanent Resurrection Rune on her right hand; so she already has a Resurrection Rune anyway, and she isn't as flexible with only one empty Rune slot. So if you want to use a Resurrection Rune, best bet is probably either using Eresh or taking a high-MAG character with a B in Holy and giving them a Holy Amulet, and pumping up their magic-oriented Skills like Magic, Divine Right, Sacred Oath, etc.
Eyedol

Re: Resurrection Rune

Post by Eyedol »

Lourde Incarnadine wrote:But interesting quirks aside, the spell animations do still look crappy compared to their SuikoI-II forms. I'm not normally one to complain about spell graphics, but after having the Resurrection Rune MIA for SuikoIII and IV I was a little disappointed.
Suikoden V uses less graphically-intense animations in its spells so that you can have six party members in battle without having an unstable frame rate like it happened in Suikoden III.

This rune is a bit useless to me; other Runes have the Reviving spell and specially the Water/Flowing and Shield runes can heal 300+ to the entire party ... plus, not many SoDs can get an A or S in Holy Magic.
Sovereign Rune

Post by Sovereign Rune »

First off, I found the Resurrection rune to be very useful for two reasons, Charm Arrow and Yell. Sure, you can just use a Flowing Rune with Mother Ocean to raise an ally, you that would be at the cost of a Lv4 magic point. I would rather have Levi raise my characters with a Lv2 spell, which he ends up having 5 of, like Yell. I suppose you could always use the Hero's Lv3 Dawn spell, but I usually have him casting the magic attack up spell with the Shield rune or uniting with Lyon/Miakis.
Last edited by Sovereign Rune on Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lourde Incarnadine

Sovereign Rune wrote:First off, I found the Resurrection rune to be very useful for two reasons, Charm Arrow and Yell. Sure, you can just use a Flowing Rune with Mother Ocean to raise an ally, you that would be at the cost of a Lv4 magic point. I would rather have Levi raise my characters with a Lv3 spell, which he ends up having 5 of, like Yell. I suppose you could always use the Hero's Lv3 Dawn spell, but I usually have him casting the magic attack up spell with the Shield rune or uniting with Lyon/Miakis.

Yell's only L2.

L1 - Scolding (single attack; possible cluster?)
L2 - Yell (resurrection)
L3 - Charm Arrow (all-enemy attack)
L4 - Scream (300 HP to all allies)

As for the usefulness of Yell... eh, your call. I don't have people dying very often, but Charm Arrow sure is fun to have. Certainly no reason why you couldn't toss on a Magical Rune or something.
Tyrith

Post by Tyrith »

Why would you raise using a flowing rune when you have the dawn rune? Obvious exception is when the Prince is the dead one, but you'll usually have a flowing rune as backup, and you'll have a flowing rune before a resurrection rune more than likely.
Sovereign Rune

Post by Sovereign Rune »

Lourde Incarnadine wrote:
Sovereign Rune wrote:First off, I found the Resurrection rune to be very useful for two reasons, Charm Arrow and Yell. Sure, you can just use a Flowing Rune with Mother Ocean to raise an ally, you that would be at the cost of a Lv4 magic point. I would rather have Levi raise my characters with a Lv3 spell, which he ends up having 5 of, like Yell. I suppose you could always use the Hero's Lv3 Dawn spell, but I usually have him casting the magic attack up spell with the Shield rune or uniting with Lyon/Miakis.

Yell's only L2.

L1 - Scolding (single attack; possible cluster?)
L2 - Yell (resurrection)
L3 - Charm Arrow (all-enemy attack)
L4 - Scream (300 HP to all allies)

As for the usefulness of Yell... eh, your call. I don't have people dying very often, but Charm Arrow sure is fun to have. Certainly no reason why you couldn't toss on a Magical Rune or something.
Sorry, typo... I don't have people dying very often either (except in the Dragon cave fight of course).

Corrected.
Lourde Incarnadine

Oh well. So I guess no one knows anything about the "hit two enemies with Scolding" thing? As for the damage, I wonder if maybe enemies are simply less likely to have resistance to Holy than they are to stuff like fire, lightning, etc...?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

remember spells add your MAG stat as damage! since the base spell is so small, the MAG dmg is the significant part of the spell.
ie my Zerase does 600+ with her lvl 1 (base of 300) and 1500+ with her lvl 4 unique spell (base of 1000). that's because she has an A rating which probably increases by a good amount, but then add her ~350 Mag stat to get the rest (and subtract enemy MDEF). for the lower base, the 350 is significantly stronger.
Eyedol

Post by Eyedol »

Lourde Incarnadine wrote:Oh well. So I guess no one knows anything about the "hit two enemies with Scolding" thing? As for the damage, I wonder if maybe enemies are simply less likely to have resistance to Holy than they are to stuff like fire, lightning, etc...?
If you want to verify that, bring Taylor (the reporter) in Entourage along. His "Analyze" skill takes care of the rest.

So far, I've seen plenty of enemies with "Ho" written above them.
Lourde Incarnadine

KFCrispy wrote:remember spells add your MAG stat as damage! since the base spell is so small, the MAG dmg is the significant part of the spell.
ie my Zerase does 600+ with her lvl 1 (base of 300) and 1500+ with her lvl 4 unique spell (base of 1000). that's because she has an A rating which probably increases by a good amount, but then add her ~350 Mag stat to get the rest (and subtract enemy MDEF). for the lower base, the 350 is significantly stronger.
Is that how the damage is calculated, multiplying the base by a modifier (based on affinity), adding MAG straight in, and subtracting target's MDEF? All right; I'm not much of an equations kind of person, so I wasn't sure if there was more to it than that.

Eyedol wrote:
Lourde Incarnadine wrote:Oh well. So I guess no one knows anything about the "hit two enemies with Scolding" thing? As for the damage, I wonder if maybe enemies are simply less likely to have resistance to Holy than they are to stuff like fire, lightning, etc...?
If you want to verify that, bring Taylor (the reporter) in Entourage along. His "Analyze" skill takes care of the rest.

So far, I've seen plenty of enemies with "Ho" written above them.
Ah, hadn't thought of Analyze. I don't use Taylor much in favor of Babbage, Egbert, Marina, and Murad, and Lelei just doesn't make it onto my team very often. Good idea; Egbert can probably take a break. We've just about hit that point in the game where you're using potch for toilet paper... <_<
Seiryuu

Post by Seiryuu »

Resurrection is useful when exploring any ruins because a lot of undead there. Other places bah... Viki with her Chain magic is a terror for any monster with Ho at their head anyway.
Zero the FireRuneHolder

Post by Zero the FireRuneHolder »

what is the Resurrection rune and who have it