sword runes

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
kenshindono

sword runes

Post by kenshindono »

are sword runes as worthless in this game as they are in all other suikoden games (except for tactics) I usually give them a shot but theyre usually so lame its better just sticking even a counter rune there instead. Their spells seem unimpressive t his time around as well
Buff

Post by Buff »

the only other game to use a sword rune was in 3. but ya they are pretty much worthless in the game. i wouldn't bother with them.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

has anyone tried upgrading the Magic Sword skill to see how much extra damage it will cause? Kyle has a high maximum skill with it. i can't pump it up that far yet. i've also only used the Flowing Sword, which has an extra effect of icing enemies (probably a % chance -- most or all elements seem to be able to cause some extra effect)
Eyedol

Post by Eyedol »

The "icing" effect is a random status effect caused by all Water magic; same deal with setting enemies and allies on fire with Fire spells.

However, all Sword runes' spells pump up a bit your damage rating ... nothing big, just .2x or .1x .
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah i know sword rune's base spell is 1.1 and 1.2 times dmg respectively, but Sword of Magic at S or SS (Kyle) may make it jump considerably. i'm also curious if elemental affinities take part in the elemental sword power...

in Suikoden 3, the base was +15% dmg, with a maximum of +85% when the skill was S. perhaps in this game, it can double Kyle's atk at the cost of a turn instead of accuracy or defense, giving him extra power, the elemental effect between rounds (Lightning and Earth can unbalance targets or something... Wind..? Fire and Water do pretty weak dmg but maybe it gets pumped up along with the skill)
MrTomJoad

Post by MrTomJoad »

Do they always take up a turn. I remember in Suikoden 3 that once you got your skill up to a certain level that you would attack on the same turn that you casts. Does that still happen at higher skill levels.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i haven't tried yet, but that would be very nice.