Random observations

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Qbwpij

Random observations

Post by Qbwpij »

So, I was playing, and just wanted to list some things I've noticed... I don't know if it's been covered here or not, so sorry if it has. :(

Skills:

The 'Escape Route' skill isn't just something that Takamu uses to find hidden paths... it's actually an increase in the percentage of times that you'll get away when using the 'Escape' command from battle.

Stacking:

Skills stack. So Potch multiplying skills and Treasure Hunt skills will increase the chances.

Abbreviations:
The two letter abbreviations are mostly obvious, but there are a few that are up for debate. I believe that two of them are
So: Sound (as used by the DoReMi elves--they all have A rank)
Sh: Shooting (ranged attacks, like bows, needles, and knives)

Recruitment:
I've noticed that some people follow directions to recruit people, but still aren't able to recruit them.

Eresh: Jeanne's letter doesn't appear in the mailbox. I believe that you need to use her in a Map battle first--I hadn't put her in until a certain battle, and then checked the suggestion box and she'd just put her letter in there.
Oboro (and related characters): I think the guides up around different places don't include that you must choose the correct choices when dealing with Oboro-- That is, when you're going to speak to Norden, you have to choose the one where you want to talk to him, and when Oboro shows you his mouse, you need to say 'So the person lives there?' (or whatever that one is)

Hm... I wonder if this is even worth posting... I'll add some more when I think of things- I had some more stuff, but I forgot what I was going to put.

Oh, also: does anyone know what Rania's skill: Bard does? I thought it might increase the power of DoReMi elves, but I don't use them enough to tell. Maybe it increases incantation speed? (Thinking along the lines of Suikoden 3, that is)

So um... sorry it's so short. :( And I'm not sure these are right, but I'm just guessing.
Last edited by Qbwpij on Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Master

Post by Master »

Bard changes the battle music.
Qbwpij

Post by Qbwpij »

Oh, I figured that it changed due to regional differences. If I remember correctly, Suikoden 2 did that. Anyway, thanks for the info. :)
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Alright, according to the official bradygames guide, the affinities are:
Su = Sun
Fi = Fire
Li = Lightning
Wi = Wind
Wa = Water
Ea = Earth
St = Star
So = Sound
Ho = Holy
Da = Dark
Sl = Slice
Th = Thrust
Pu = Punch
Sh = Shoot

So you got me on what those last 4 are. Apparantly Ernst's Beast rune's third and fourth spells, Ripping Claws and Devouring Jaws, use Slice and Thrust respecively, and the Pale Gate's first spell, Open Gate, uses thrust, but other than that, no clue. Maybe they're used for the various technique runes???
Qbwpij

Post by Qbwpij »

Sl = Slice
Th = Thrust
Pu = Punch
Sh = Shoot

Slice = swords and things.
Thrust = Epees, rapiers, etc--Richard's weapon uses this.
Punch = Punching attacks--Nikea uses them, as does Shoon.
Shoot= covered in my post. :)

Basically, they're not used in spells, but in attack types. So if you have a rank A in punching, then enemies that use punches won't do as much damage to you. Also, if a character's weapon uses punches, they'll do more damage (I think, but I'm not sure--it works for runes, so I don't see why it wouldn't apply here as well, though you can't change your attack type...)

Is it okay if I cut and paste this info into my original post?
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Cut and paste away. And now, the Eresh recruitment boss battle. Be back in a few.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

so there's no Shield Magic affinity??
Yuber8900

Post by Yuber8900 »

For Shield Magic

1st Spell is a random %
2nd Spell is a healing spell and Healing Spells always heal a set amount.
3rd Spell increase Magic effects by 20%
Feh
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah okay, i get it. the healing is pretty poor at 200 HP.. but the level 3 is great now that it only applies to your allies!
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Shield Magic uses earth and water affinities for its spells, I posted those on the other topic about rune affinities.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Also keep in mind some of the armor has stats like -1 Thrust
MrTomJoad

Post by MrTomJoad »

Are the last 4 Slash and Punch and such, for your offense with that or your defense to it. Because it seems to me that everyone has a C in those even though they obviously have a better defense to it than others.
WaterMoon

Post by WaterMoon »

Not sure, but some people do have other ranks. Zerase and Viki, for example, have a B in Shoot, and Muroon has a B in all 4. I do think Shoot is related to bows, cause Urda and Isato have A's.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i think the affinity chart is both offense and defense. C most likely means average, like an affinity of 1. so most characters take hits purely based on their PDF
MrTomJoad

Post by MrTomJoad »

Well it seems wrong. I know some characters have higher chances of guarding against certain types of attacks than others even though there stats say otherwise. For example Isabel will weapon defense against slashes about 95% of the time, but against thrust she usually gets hit. Even though she has a C in both. But on the offensive her first attack is a slash and her second is a thrust which both do about the same damage, so maybe it is only offense.