strat battle question

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
kenshindono

strat battle question

Post by kenshindono »

well i kinda enjoy the strat battles in this one, they're probably the best of the series. My only gripe is when you get stuck on walls and stuff

anyway, what gear/skills transfer over to the actual battle if any. I.e. if a chaeracter is equpied with high def gear, would that make a diffrence in strat battles? what about skills? runes?

i know in 3 gear was really important, stuff like sacrificial jizo's ect, actually mattered

anyone know what makes a diffrence in strat battles?
Harmonian Zealot

Post by Harmonian Zealot »

I'd like to add onto this and ask whether character levels make a difference in Strategy battles?
~~YOU WIN BY PINCER ATTACK!~~
Seldio

Post by Seldio »

No, it doesn't make a difference if that char is Level 1 or 99 or what gear is equipped on that char.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

are you sure? i know that runes as far as elements make a difference as to what you can cast, so are you sure nothing else has any effect?

its odd to think a lvl 1 character with no gear will be the same that way or lvl 50 with full gear and good runes
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

Strategy Battles have absolutly nothing to do with normal battles. It's exactly like Suikoden 1 and 2 were. It doesn't matter what gear your single characters arew wearing because your army is made of thousands of soldiers. And only about 30 or so of those thousands are sepcial characters. So it wouldn't make a difference at all.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

not even weapon lvl ups eh? interesting guess i dont have to worry about lvling people up
Laharle

Post by Laharle »

if i were u though i would focus level up ur main party because the game gets tougher as u progress. tat includes levelup weapons and upgrade armor. my party almost always get killed from regular mobs most of the time because i didnt upgrade them lol and becareful wat formation u choose as well :)
Sickpup

Post by Sickpup »

kenshindono wrote:not even weapon lvl ups eh? interesting guess i dont have to worry about lvling people up
I thought Suikoden 3's strategy battles were absolutly rediculous. Having to keep a lot of characters weapons and skills and armor upgraded. Suikoden 3's strat battles were just like...normal battles you couldn't control, so you had to watch your characters be dumbasses.

Like watching Chris use her Rune that you cant take off of her, on an enemy with 1 hp left, and then is left unbalanced the next turn.

And I also hated the whole aspect of it. It was supposed to be a war? Oh yeah, really scary war...look at those..12-20 people on the battle field. Most violent thing I have ever seen.

So my point is, it's very smart to do the battles the way they are in 1, 2, and 5. Where your characters are just generals and commanders. They arent the whole army.
"Master Flik, you are immature. But that immaturity, that honesty was something I coveted.

And I'm sure that is why Lady Odessa loved you..."
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

so what determines the attack strength of your units then? how do you know what characters have what rating for attack and defense? or would putting all pansy characters together have the same attack and defense rating as say, george, richard, and hero all together.

thats the part that confuses me. Is what element rune you have really the only thing that matters
Seldio

Post by Seldio »

Some people can cast magic with the Runes they have, some have special abilities and Extras ( like Silva = Relief which heals 10 HP every turn you successful attack an enemy, Marina = Rest which heals 1 HP every 5 seconds if you stand still with the unit and do nothing ).

If you look into the list before starting a War Battle you can have an insight of all the abilities with a small explanation.

And some SoD's just give an Attack or Defense Boost of +5 or a Speed Boost + 2 ( didn't see a +5 ).

Most of the SoD's will have 100 HP, just a handful of them will have 150 HP and you should try to give them the leader position.
Also, for some abilities/extras to get working you have to put the SoD's in the correct order.
Like Silva i mentioned, she always has to be put in the last slot of one Unit or the Relief ability won't work.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Relief is 1 of the best abilities, Zerases star rune can do so much damage it isn't even funny...

bassically in strategy battles, you either have magic you can choose when you engage in battle

magic/attacks you can only use by pressing square when your NOT in battle

or a skill that increases your allies attributes/decreases your enemies attributes

I never have commanding unit with 150 hp

I usually put massive amounts of charge on my units, send in zerase and some other Rune archer units and unload on the enemy, after that I quickly reteat and re position my archers to pick off the enemy infantry and calvary, at the same time I send my infantry and calvary with charge abilities, if I have any of my boats equiped with barrage I try to position them close to land to snipe the enemy archers or infantry

on water the beavers are the best, always fight using the beavers when you fight in the water

my experience tells me that the dragon calvary should be used for mainly water battles but I always keep lots of charges on them so they can be awsome on land as well
Seldio

Post by Seldio »

I never have commanding unit with 150 hp
Actually, there are only very few people who have that amount of HP ( Sorensen is one of them )
on water the beavers are the best, always fight using the beavers when you fight in the water
Definetely, because they're strong against any type of ship. ^^ Same goes for the Dragon Cavalry, but these make good fighters on land too if you're short on Cavalry Units.
Sun of a Studio

Post by Sun of a Studio »

I wish they would go back to the format from III where you had to level up characters to use them in battle. I mean, sure I love using all the characters and such, but other than just enjoyment, there is no purpose behind it, which leaves me with characters who're at very low levels. I liked how their gear, weapon level and stats actually mattered. I didn't like the AI from III though, like sickpup mentioned. That could have been worked on a bit. Suikoden IV also had the levels, and armor matter for the major battles, but only when you boarded the ships, and honestly, who actually boarded the enemy ships on a regular basis?

Although I do like the major battles in V because they give a bit of control on your army you didn't have previously, but it's very difficult to team up on a unit to destroy them because it just goes to the cutscene but oh well. Wonder what they'll do with VI?
"If you can laugh at yourself everytime you fall down, people will think you're drunk"-Conan
killey

Post by killey »

The ones with 150 HP are ballista units (Babbage and Sorensen), they're slow but useful when the enemy doesn't move. Make them the leaders of two units in the Queen's Campaign battle and you can use them to blast Zahhak and Alenia's units.
tomriddle

Post by tomriddle »

from what I've seen since I've only had 1 major major battle (Lelcar battle) and everything else was pie..

the prince's Dawn rule = "I WIN" o_O think about it... It does an AREA damage to ALL enemy units... and then HEALS your own units...

that's almost imbalancing!!! ...go prince :!: :twisted: