hey an elf thats actually cool!

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
kenshindono

hey an elf thats actually cool!

Post by kenshindono »

wow, will wonders never cease. An elf that isn't tottaly lame. I usually hate elves in suikoden or any other game, but isato actually looks cool. Is he a decent character? he came in underlvld to my party so i cant tell based on his stats
sonic_Reaper

Post by sonic_Reaper »

Honestly I think his design is ass and his portrait is hella-ugly/fug.

The elves in Suikoden were pretty damn awesome -- Kirkis and Rubi especially.

Roland sucked ass from Suikoden III -- ugly and stuck-up ... and did I mention how ugly he was? It's just kind of strange coming from a race of people that are supposed to be the very epitome of beauty and grace -- yet we get hogs like Isato and Roland.

I apologize if I offended anyone, just had to get that off my chest.
NeoBlight

Post by NeoBlight »

I haven't seen this Isato yet. I've ordered the game and hopefully it will arrive tommorrow. I'm glad the tradition with elves continues in Suikoden 5.
Are there any more elves other than Isato in the game?

About Roland, yes, he is extremly ugly and stuck up but still one of the most notable characters of all the Suikoden games, since he really feels real.
I think Roland and Salome where the two characters that gave the Zexen knights a nice variation to the otherwise typically cliché characters. Sure, I like Percival more than most pretty-boy knights from most games, since he is so well drawn and just estethically appealing and cool, but Roland and Salome where the ones who really added some character to the knights.
The fact that people actually get annoyed by Roland shows he has had an impact on players.

I wouldn't put him on the same level as for example Snowe who was really a poor character, just annoying because he was ugly, the design was ugly, his personality was ugly and not interesting in any way and the voice acting was beyond horrible.
Roland is an example of a well planned and thought out character that plays his part perfectly, as the dry, humourless zealot with his mounted bow and arrow style in the back row. Snowe is something that never should have happened to the Suikoden series at all.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

NeoBlight wrote:The fact that people actually get annoyed by Roland shows he has had an impact on players.

I wouldn't put him on the same level as for example Snowe who was really a poor character, just annoying because he was ugly, the design was ugly, his personality was ugly and not interesting in any way and the voice acting was beyond horrible.
Funny how the two statements directly contradict each other.

Isato is decent looking as far as a bald elf is concerned, I suppose. The second elf, Urda, is much better looking though. She's that female on the cover art.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

.[/quote]
Funny how the two statements directly contradict each other.

quote]

Couldn't agree more.

I have always thought elves were kinda silly in Fantasy Games, especially Suikoden. More or less black people in scary movies that are there seemingly just to meet a quota. They play no role or have any real presence. I am not really sure why Elves are in the game, but there are always a few scattered around just to be there.
Harmonian Zealot

Post by Harmonian Zealot »

We're talking about ugly elves, and NO one mentions Stallion??
~~YOU WIN BY PINCER ATTACK!~~
Orochi_Rockman

Post by Orochi_Rockman »

He's not as bad as Isato.
Zombee

Post by Zombee »

So wait, an elf can't be cool just because he's ugly?! What's up with that? I bet you guys aren't winning any beauty contsts yourselves.

Personally, I get sick of pretty/handsome characters all the time. It's just not realistic.

And hey, Isato is pretty cool. (But Stallion is the coolest elf EVAR if you ask me.)
Harmonian Zealot

Post by Harmonian Zealot »

Zombee wrote:So wait, an elf can't be cool just because he's ugly?! What's up with that? I bet you guys aren't winning any beauty contsts yourselves.
Never said he wasn't cool. Thanks to him, S1 seemed so much faster, pre-blinking mirror.

Also, do the DoReMi elves count in this discussion??
Last edited by Harmonian Zealot on Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~YOU WIN BY PINCER ATTACK!~~
Zombee

Post by Zombee »

Harmonian Zealot wrote:Do the DoReMi elves count?
Stop ruining the fun, jerk.

(Note: I'm kidding.)
sonic_Reaper

Post by sonic_Reaper »

I should clarify that I mean a combination of personality and physical appearance that includes clothing/design. Not just their face. Isato appears to be wearing diapers or something ... I find his clothing/design very unappealing. Roland's haircut was very ugly and unbecoming -- however that's just from a design perspective.

Personality is a little more self spoken.

Kirkis was the most well rounded I feel. Unlike 99% of the Elves in the Suikoden universe he wasn't a horribly stuck-up and proud arrogant snob. He was willing to go out and ask for help and believed that all races should work together = great personality/qualities. I don't find the close minded elves all that attractive (and I don't mean physically). I don't see how anyone else could.

And there are more shades than just ugly and beautiful. I find Stallion for example to sit somewhere in the middle. His personality is more for humor than anything else and I'm alright with that. His design is okay, nothing special, but I can definitely tolerate him more than some others.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

are we talking stallion in 1 or stallion in 2? 1 he looked ok, 2 he looked freakish

Diapers? i thought his outfit was kinda cool. A monk/priest looking thing. I like him because he actually looks kinda hard with his shaved head and eye tat. Not a mincing little pansy like most other elves. Plus he wanted to punish those 2 morons from raft river. they were pissing me off =P

Anyway, this was a question about his actual stats/usefullness in battle, thats why i put it here and not the plot forum (dont wanna get moved again heh). Good to hear all your opinions on the elves but does anyone know how he fares as far as actual usefullness? the only elf i ever used was the green haired chick from IV, and that was only for her co-op with Mitsuki

i also noticed a dwarf when i was in stormfist, wonder if he'll join up later. I dislike dwarves even more than i dislike elves =P
NeoBlight

Post by NeoBlight »

Well, what I meant to say was that Roland felt like a real character and played his part in the story perfectly while Snowe was just annoying and didn't give any feeling of substance to anything in the game.

Actually, several of the more leading characters of Suikoden 4 had less personality than storyline support characters like for example Roland, from other games.

Roland was just a good and interesting character.