Music

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
NeoBlight

Music

Post by NeoBlight »

How is the music overall? Does it sound "Suikoden"? Does it have all of those typical, short mood tunes, "before battle" "building up tension" "really sinister guy approaches" "we were attacked from behind and didn't see it coming" etc?
Zombee

Re: Music

Post by Zombee »

NeoBlight wrote:How is the music overall? Does it sound "Suikoden"? Does it have all of those typical, short mood tunes, "before battle" "building up tension" "really sinister guy approaches" "we were attacked from behind and didn't see it coming" etc?
I don't think it sounds so hot. I'm torn at times, but so far I am completely underwhelmed.

There have been a couple of decent tunes, but then, Suikoden has never really wowed me in the music department.
Seiryuu

Post by Seiryuu »

The credit scene music & "secret" a Night before battle is probably the best of the series.

The normal battle music is the best IMO
Desides

Post by Desides »

The music's about on par with Suikoden II. A chunk of good tunes, quite a few forgettable ones, but nearly all are good enough to be in the game. A definite improvement over IV (except for the battle music), but still not as good as I.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

Overall I enjoyed this soundtrack, and I have to agree it's a lot more along the lines of Suikoden II.

Also of note is that a few classic Suikoden tracks make returns here, including the Sindar Ruins theme, the Moonlight Night theme, Leknaat's Theme from the first two Suikoden games, and in more recent memories, the Suikoden IV battle theme is played during one of the fights in the game. I had mark-out moments for each of those.

I sort of wish the "Theme of Sadness" got remade, but there is a similarity in the "sad theme" used in this game.
What is most important to you? Will you give me the happiness of taking it away from you?
NeoBlight

Post by NeoBlight »

I really miss "Distant hill", the music played in mountain areas of Suikoden 1. I hope that someday it will make a return.
Sun of a Studio

Post by Sun of a Studio »

I really liked the music in Agate Prison but can't stand the music in Haud Village. I absolutely hate it, makes me want to slice my television in half. The rest of the music isn't bad though.
"If you can laugh at yourself everytime you fall down, people will think you're drunk"-Conan
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Hehe, I could be wrong, but I think the music in Haud village is supposed to suck. Afterall, its a village of weirdo, sucky artists.

The music for Suikoden V is fine enough, but I don't think its on par with the rest of the Suikodens. There are many memorable tunes in the rest of the Suikodens (even part IV), but the only tunes that stand out to me in V are the tunes during battles. Frankly I enjoyed the cameo music from the other Suikodens the most.
"Don't get mad, I'm just kinda saying stuff"
Sun of a Studio

Haha that must be it, that must be why Haud Village music is so strange and terrible. I really can't stand Haud Village at all. It's my least favorite place so far and I think those sentiments will sustain, but you never know, I still haven't entered the Twilight Forest yet but I think my rage will keep. The reason I hate it so much is just that it hurts my eyes visually and the music doesn't have a defined rhythm, it's like listening to interpretive dance, which is impossible because you can't listen to actions.

That's it! Haud Village is like trying to hear verbs.
"If you can laugh at yourself everytime you fall down, people will think you're drunk"-Conan
SpecialNewb

Music

Post by SpecialNewb »

So far most of the themes have been decent but forgettable a few, like the Huad village theme are bad, though for some reason my girlfriend really likes the Raftfleet theme. She finds it very um, cheerful.

As for me, I really like the music that plays in the Queen's Campaign Army regular battles at the end. I think it's "Determination ~Tragic Battle~."
freshmetal

Post by freshmetal »

I really like the music in the game. It reminds me of the second games music, plus all the classic tunes are awesome. The really weird thing is that even though the music in Haud Village sucks, it's kind of ...grown on me. When I'm in Haud, I'll catch myself mimicing the noises.
PSN: FreshMetal80
Sun of a Studio

As much as I can't stand the Huad Village music, if I were in there long enough I could see myself there making little pop noises along with the melody. Though I find myself going back to Agate just to listen to the bgm. Strange.
Desides

Post by Desides »

If anyone's interested, CDJapan just restocked on the second run of the OST. I managed to snag the last of their first press editions. The music is far more listenable on CD than it is in-game, I say. The Nirva Island music is pretty damn good, especially the re-done Suiko IV battle tune...

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=GFCA-41
sonic_Reaper

Post by sonic_Reaper »

I'm surprised at the reaction. I think this soundtrack is really really solid. A lot of excellent new tracks and the remixes of classic tunes is just as solid. Best new Suikoden soundtrack by far.

I share Rivera's and NeoBlight's sentiments ... Distant Hills and the Theme of Sadness need a return sometime soon. The remix of the Theme of Sadness in Suikoden II sucked though. The only way to make it work is with real instruments (piano or guitar) and not ugly sounding synthesizers.
Desides

Post by Desides »

It's not quite Theme of Sadness, but Main Theme makes an appearance as A Moment of Calm. Personally, I think it's a better choice...