new character level 1 weapons

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
kenshindono

new character level 1 weapons

Post by kenshindono »

quick question, when a new character joins do they still have only a lvl 1 weapon? this always bugged the hell out of me and limited your ability to actually try out new characters, since you couldn't get a feel for them untill you actually lvld up their weapons some

i know in tactics they actually came in with reasonably lvld weapons sometimes, but every other suikoden game it was always at lvl 1

hopefully this game takes more after tactics in that regard because i heard a lot of the characters are interesting and would like to use a bigger selection of them than my usual 6-8 person selection

Specified title some more - OP
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Yes, all new recruits join with a level 1 weapon. I too find it annoying.
Chaos_Zero

Post by Chaos_Zero »

Jesus Christ. This is why I contemplate on using a money cheat. I can't be arsed to devote all my free time to go around attempting to earn money just to see if some characters are good enough. <_<
The Miraculous Epidemic, Cruel Salvation, and Merciful Genocide.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Although I can understand where you guys are coming from, I think that all Lv. 1 weapons is a good thing; now it will be easier to get all the weapon names without hacking the game. Besides, most of the time you can take the storyline characters to a blacksmith to level up their weapon. Moreover, it's pretty cheap just to level a weapon to Lv. 7; at that level, characters do pretty good damage.

Of course, if your like me and like having every character at the same weapon level at any given point in the game, then all Lv. 1 weapons can be annoying. But then again money seems pretty easy to come by in this Suikoden. I had the special memory card for my JPN game and even though I was getting double the amount of money because of the Prosperity Rune that came in the card, it seemed to me that just having the regular amount would have been good enough. To improve money problems in this game, make sure to get Egbert in your party as soon as he is available which is pretty early after getting past the intro part.
Last edited by HolyPaladin on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
Mad Prince of Highland

Post by Mad Prince of Highland »

i agree with soldier. Its nice for once, seeing all the names of the characters weapons, and it cost nothing to get to the lvl that they do some serious damage. :)
"Fear is a stupid emotion."
Komataguri

Post by Komataguri »

late in the game it dosn't cost much.

early in the game 700 bucks is quite a bit.

But it dosn't really obther me, because I am obsessive compulsive about power leveling, so I generally have cash to spare anyways.
kenshindono

Post by kenshindono »

meh it just buggs me. i powerlvl to some degree but not the degree required to lvl everyones weapon up. My main issue is just to test peoples usefullness. If your not swimming in dough its pretty hard to spend the extra cash on people you may not even use. Especially since some weapons are misleading and have huge jumps in dmg at certain lvls

hows the trade in this game btw? I never found it all that usefull. Sure you could earn some cash, but it wasted too much inventory space in the process
Sun of a Studio

Post by Sun of a Studio »

This is one part of the game I can't stand. I couldn't stand it in IV and I can't stand it now. It's not like anything in V is cheap or anything. When armor crosses the 40,000 mark, I start getting a little annoyed. Money comes slightly easy, but not easy enough to buy some of the armor in the shops, let alone having to deal with leveling everyones weapon up just to use them. I was hoping they would have done away with this but of course they didn't. What confuses me, is how Georg, supposedly the best Knight in the Queen's army has gone years without every sharpening his sword. Just doesn't sound believable. In VI, if they don't get rid of this weapon level 1 nonsense, I'm going to do something I never do and buy a gameshark and cheat. It's just not very plausible that these great soldiers have gone decade after decade and never visited a blacksmith.

At Lake Cerces I got Kwagi(?) in the party and have to go up against the two Sun Gods or whatever they were, and of course my party was wiped out, not to mention I had been traveling through the ruins using magic hear and there for those damn shields. So I have to make the trek all the way back to Raftfleet just to sharpen my weapons because god knows Yushuna doesn't have a blacksmith. I probably made a few spelling errors on some of the names, but it just annoys me that I have to level up the weapons over and over just to make someone playable.
"If you can laugh at yourself everytime you fall down, people will think you're drunk"-Conan
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Maybe you mean Zweig? You get Zweig and Lorelai there.

Whenever I get characters, I stick them in the entourage and continue to use my characters.

Money is pretty easy to come by though. Stick prosperity pieces on people in the back row, and it will add a lot of potch. Lyon right now has 4 pieces of it on, and I get 40% more potch after battle from that. Combine that with Egbert, and that's quite a bit of money.
When I go anywhere, I usually leave it with a couple hundred thousand potch. I think when I left those ruins I had like 200k or so. I just got like 300k getting Jeane...
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Meh, go to the Twilight Forest and the ruins if you want money. Even without the Prosperity pieces, you should leave with a sizable amount of money.
I hope everything is going delicious.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

the best way to make money is to equip the prosperity set{in my case I only had the sandles and the ring} and then when you get to doorat{when you have to defeat childerich} just constantly fight random battles there and you should get a pinting each battle, appraise those paintings, they sell for 50 thousand each

after doorat I had like 700 thousand potch because I went in there with practically nothing in my inventory
Seldio

Post by Seldio »

Underground Ruins #2 Eresh Event + 60-90 minutes of your time + Prosperity Set + some Prosperity Rings for each char + Egbert + Babbage = 2,500,000 Potch ^_^

If just for testing out the usefulness of SoD "insert name here" - then just safe some money like 1 Million will do to upgrade weapons for 3-4 chars to their max level 16 and equipping them with the Runes you want.
Before that, save your game first. If they doesn't turn out to be that damn good, well just load your game file and try out someone else.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Harmonian Zealot

Post by Harmonian Zealot »

It's not that plopping down the money to sharpen the weapon is the issue... It's when you are forced into a dungeon with characters who have LVL 1 weapons!!!
Later on in the game, you can just throw them in your entourage, but earlier on, this is a nuisance! They should come in your party with at least a few levels on their weapon, so they can at least contribute to the action.
~~YOU WIN BY PINCER ATTACK!~~
Desides

Post by Desides »

Harmonian Zealot wrote:It's not that plopping down the money to sharpen the weapon is the issue... It's when you are forced into a dungeon with characters who have LVL 1 weapons!!!
Later on in the game, you can just throw them in your entourage, but earlier on, this is a nuisance! They should come in your party with at least a few levels on their weapon, so they can at least contribute to the action.
There's nothing stopping you from putting new characters into the entourage at any point in the game. IIRC, one or two Prosperity items appear relatively early on, so it's just a matter of spending a few minutes whacking monsters to gather money. As for armor... well, the prices never really get better, so you have to adopt the Dragon Quest strategem of only buying new armor when you need it.