Nitpicks about Suikoden V

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

It wasn't... I tried numerous times through "Don't Give Up!" before I accepted that my current party wouldn't be able to beat the damn thing.

After that I went back better prepared, but due to a side-thing I forgot to unequip/equip the equipments I wanted so once again the boss killed me easily.

So I had to go through that damn dungeon 3 times before I finally could beat the bastard. There really should have been a save point nearer to the boss.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

There's too few enemies that in groups of 6. If my memory serves me correctly, groups of 6 enemies appear much more often in Suikoden 1-3. With many unite attacks and weapon runes that attack all enemies, and a skill that attacks the whole front row for each physical attack, having more enemies that come in larger groups would have made them more useful. There's also the formation attack that gives the enemies priority, but the whole party then unleashes one physical attack dealing 1x damage to all enemies. But the usefulness of all these goodies is mitigated due to most enemies coming in small groups.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

The War Battles have started to annoy me... lots of times either the enemy or myself will get stuck on a corner or edge when trying to run away but not getting anywhere.

This results in an endless loop of battles till one unit is dead, and since you lose troops even if you have the advantage and considering the AI has more troops than you you will probably lose since you have no chance to heal your unit or move them away.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

The same thing has happened to me twice. To avoid it, one has to keep track of each allied unit and make sure not to force any enemy units into a corner.
melange

Post by melange »

Or do it only when the troop type is in your favor AND you have healing attached or you had already 'softened' the enemy up to half strength earlier with a special command attack. Sometimes the endless loop of battle is useful as it can very quickly take enemy units off the map simplifying the battle (i.e. not as many units to keep track of) and lowering the chance of a retreating enemy unit 'fleeing' into your own unfavorable units and then attacking them. Now that is what I really hate.
MrTomJoad

Post by MrTomJoad »

If you want to see long loads play Blitz the League. The game had to load for about two minutes just to load up the options menu. Before the longer cutscenes it would sometimes take as much as three or four minutes. And it loads for everything. You sign in to your username.. long load, start career.. long load, start game.. long load. It took me 12 minutes from start menu to a game.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Sars wrote:I went through the same. Initially I went in with a party that was too phsyical oriented with not enough Magic Defense.
That's probably way they won't let you use Georg; he'd be massacred!
Last edited by HolyPaladin on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

MrTomJoad wrote:If you want to see long loads play Blitz the League. The game had to load for about two minutes just to load up the options menu. Before the longer cutscenes it would sometimes take as much as three or four minutes. And it loads for everything. You sign in to your username.. long load, start career.. long load, start game.. long load. It took me 12 minutes from start menu to a game.
You are right. We don't want long loads. In fact, we don't want any loads at all.

I find the loads in this game bearable in general, save for the ridiculous amount due to the fact of that it occurs at the end of every battle. It's bad game design if loads to take much longer than the battle itself. No wonder they provided a save with the Champion Rune in the special memory card.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

yes I tend to agree, there are MASSIVE amounts of loads 1 after another...however they are bearable and they only accur when your getting into random fights

I also get weary of traversing so much distance..

but OVERALL

I LOVE this game

what a fantastic beginning, I feel like im really apart of the royal family and I already care for the queen, my father, my little sister, my auntie and my body guard :D
Mad Prince of Highland

Post by Mad Prince of Highland »

The loads are a tad bit annoying. The battles take a long time as well. Also, sometimes when people speak, they start their next paragraph, cutting off the paragraph they were on. However, the story is very interesting, and i cant wait to see where it takes me next. The battles are also enjoyable. :) :) :)
"Fear is a stupid emotion."
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

The only thing so far that I can say I don't much like, is that the characters movements seem... choppy? If that is the right word, in some of the scenes.
himurokoken

Post by himurokoken »

The cutscenes. The cutscnes is by far my biggest nitpick. They end too soon and don't let you absorb the mood, and often put you in the hands of the prince way too fast right afterwords. There's little transition from cutscene back into gameplay. Too choppy.
Harmonian Zealot

Post by Harmonian Zealot »

Overall a great solid game, but I do have some gripes so far:

--Battle/building loading time. I would be more irritable about this if I kept getting bothered by low low level enemies, but it's not *that* bad... Plus I love to see the S2 version of Lyon run in place ^^

--I wish they had gone with the S3 character designs. I don't have the most high tech TV in the world, but sometimes the townspeople seem so mundane and nondescript... Is that a homeless guy or a noble? I can't tell sometimes, even with the zoom.

--Quit asking me whether I want to use my Medicine!! I clicked USE for a reason!!!

--Does it strike you as odd that the royal family is too... Well... Pleasant? I remember from the other games that described Falena as a bloodthirsty aristocracy (actually, this really shouldn't be a gripe...)

Despite this, I still would rank this as one of the great Suikodens of the series!
~~YOU WIN BY PINCER ATTACK!~~
Mikalakatov

Post by Mikalakatov »

Harmonian Zealot wrote: --Does it strike you as odd that the royal family is too... Well... Pleasant? I remember from the other games that described Falena as a bloodthirsty aristocracy (actually, this really shouldn't be a gripe...)
(possible spoilers ahead)

Well, doesn't it say in the game that the bloodthirsty stuff happened before the hero's mothers reign? They talked about how her mother had her sister killed and the two sisters killed each others husbands and what not. So I think the talk about it being bloodthirsty in the other games was talking about that time in its history.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I disagree, I think the talk about them being blood thirsty refers to this war

the bloodthirsty battles are probably gonna come later in the game and most likely there gonna involve the royal family, suiko 5 is before suiko 1,2 and 3 so were probably gonna get to see all the gruesome blood thirsty events that gave Falena its reputation!