Nitpicks about Suikoden V

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Nitpicks about Suikoden V

Post by dragonmasterx »

I'm sure everyone else can talk about how great this game is, so I'll post some problems I've noticed:

-Loading into battle
From as soon as the screen started fading until the attack,defend,formation,etc. menu came up, I listened closely to the tick of my clock and counted 9 seconds. I counted multiple times; it was 9 seconds each time.

-Too much dialogue! There's soooooooooooooooooo many villagers to talk to. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. It means more Japanese vocabulary to learn. Many of the villagers I've spoken to said funny things.

-Camera angle is totally different from Suikoden 3 and 4. The overhead angle is reminiscent of Star Ocean 3, but with a total of 3 alterable zoom-ins by R2. The environments seem to be better this time around, so I would've preferred the old camera. Especially the first person camera from 4. Also, it's impossible to rotate the camera in towns. In Lordlake, the roofs of buildings were covering up my Prince and I couldn't change the angle to get a better view.

-Menus look so... simple, childish, amateur, unprofessional. I'm not sure why, but they just seem that way to me.

-Zoomed out camera in battle compared to 3,4. I prefer the old camera.
Wraith

Post by Wraith »

I'm pretty sure they'll fix the long loading for the EU launch. The dialouge dousn't seem that much of a problem.

Camera angles ARE very annoying but like I said, they CAN change it for the EU launch.

I doubt they'll change the menu outlook.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

You call 'em nitpicks, but are any of them things that are seriously detrimental to the gameplay, or are they things you can overlook because the story/gameplay is good?
Purr.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

You call 'em nitpicks, but are any of them things that are seriously detrimental to the gameplay, or are they things you can overlook because the story/gameplay is good?
The worst thing is the 9-second loading time. Whether they're seriously detrimental or not depends on the person. I recall counting more than 9-seconds for battle start in Xenosaga Ep.2 and gave up that game solely because of loading time. But I can take 9 seconds.

Yea the story is good so far. Not sure about gameplay yet.
King_Zax

Post by King_Zax »

You want bad loading time? Go play Magna Carta. 15+ second load times are god awful.

I worked out on my bowflex in between load times, they were so long.
"True peace is impossible. Only an illusion of
peace exists in the superficial calm of our lives.."

There is no point in arguing with an idiot. They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i guess this will give all gamers time to do some guilt-eliminating push-ups and sit-ups!
Ced The Lad

Post by Ced The Lad »

If they can do one.

Too much dialogue is a good thing in my opinion.

But yes, that camera will be pretty problematic. With such neat visuals, I'd like to see them up close and personal.

*Insert Jeane joke here since I pretty much asked for it*

Looking good so far, though.
http://www.suikox.com: Where the Tinto Republic continues to guide the masses through the sea of history.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

About the zoomed out camera in towns. It's actually very much a necessity. Every town seems to be ridiculously large. A Suikoden 3,4 style camera would make it too easy to get lost.
shimu13684

Post by shimu13684 »

KFCrispy wrote:i guess this will give all gamers time to do some guilt-eliminating push-ups and sit-ups!
:lol: heehee
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Long cutscenes are definitely a good thing. Hopefully there is a universal Pause button to go with it. Is there any?
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

patapi wrote:Long cutscenes are definitely a good thing. Hopefully there is a universal Pause button to go with it. Is there any?
Unfortunatly no.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Uh, in that case, that's bad. Very bad. Guess I'll be 100% dependent on Hero's dialogue option as my pause interval.

As for loading times, they seems tolerable so far. But, complete elimination of loading times would have been preferable.

The camera angle seems fine to me, as well. If only they eliminated some of the blind spots by auto-adjusting the camera a bit, similar to what they did to some hidden corners back in Lordlake earlier in the game.
himurokoken

Post by himurokoken »

Wait...you can't pause cutscenes?? wtf..
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

Also, no soft reset! I hated manual resetting after losing to Gaspar everytime in Suikoden 1, and the same problem's here.
Belle

Post by Belle »

?

I'm pretty sure soft resets were possible in S1. I have memories of hearing the castle theme freeze during the reset.