Nitpicks about Suikoden V

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Harmonian Zealot

Post by Harmonian Zealot »

son_michael wrote:I disagree, I think the talk about them being blood thirsty refers to this war
Well, now that I've gotten further into 5, I understand some of these things (a lot which I can't discuss due to spoilers), but the #1 thing in my mind when they referenced a bloodthirsty aristocracy are the gladiator battles and slavery present in Falenan society. Things like plucking out Morgan's eyes because he was successful =(
~~YOU WIN BY PINCER ATTACK!~~
Mad Prince of Highland

Post by Mad Prince of Highland »

himurokoken wrote:The cutscenes. The cutscnes is by far my biggest nitpick. They end too soon and don't let you absorb the mood, and often put you in the hands of the prince way too fast right afterwords. There's little transition from cutscene back into gameplay. Too choppy.
I agree with you for sure. They also have pretty good voice actors, but I rarely get to hear em!
"Fear is a stupid emotion."
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Both the duration and frequency of the load times are absurd. Konami has had four goes at making a Suikoden game for the PS2, they should know the hardware enough by no to eliminate those. I don’t really think this is excusable.

All the areas are huge, perhaps a little bigger than is needed, it looks really cool, but what do you do with all that space? That maybe a personal grip.

The battles, are seriously easy, a problem I have always had with the series. I’m not too far into it yet but I hope things get a little more involved and more difficult. Doesn’t have to be Fire Emblem hard, but make me work a little. Having said that, the fast pace of the battles reminds me of Suikoden 3 and I find myself enjoying the really easy battles.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

Waylander wrote:The battles, are seriously easy, a problem I have always had with the series. I’m not too far into it yet but I hope things get a little more involved and more difficult. Doesn’t have to be Fire Emblem hard, but make me work a little. Having said that, the fast pace of the battles reminds me of Suikoden 3 and I find myself enjoying the really easy battles.
Oh, don't worry. The battles get way harder if you don't overlevel or use magic all in one go. If your mage type player, then the game will remain easy although L-range enemies will still make it hard to keep your mage characters alive. In my JPN game, a couple of higher level Blade Bunny type enemies killed my Zerase because they keep doing to damage in the 80s in rapid succession. Also, Sars reported dying from random encounters three times which never happened to him in the other Suikodens.
Last edited by HolyPaladin on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
Zombee

Post by Zombee »

I've been playing Suikoden V, and let me tell you:

I hate (HATE) the camera to NO END. They have these gorgeous character models that you CAN'T SEE because the camera is so far away, even at its closest setting.

The environments are spread out too much. If you were to transfer the environments to the real world, these little towns would spread over miles and miles of land, and huts would loom over you. Everything is grossly oversized compared to the people. I mean, how often do you see doorframes that extend several feet overhead?!

Adding to that, have the hero stand next to a villager. Zoom in as close as possible. Is it just me, or are the proportions totally off? The hero (and recruitable characters in general) seem larger than the NPCs!

Also, where the hell is the rotatable camera? Last I checked we had STOPPED using sprites and had moved on to the third dimension of gaming. I would much rather have graphics like in Suikoden IV than this crap. What's the point of upgrading this stuff if we can't even see what's going on?

It's just a big old list of things that are really bugging the hell out of me. Maybe it'll get better once I get to the main adventure, but for now... arrrrrghhh.
Waylander

Post by Waylander »

Oh, yeah. At all times outside of a battle. The camera sucks. It sucks a lot hard, and often.

Other than that I wish Konami would have a more manish looking hero for once. The Prince is the prettiest boy I have ever seen. All the heroes have been. The one eyed dude from Suikoden III is as close as we've gotten. Whats with all the 15 year old girly guys saving the world?

Can the mods maybe make a sticky that is the opposite of this? We have 5+ pages of "I don't likes" but I bet we could get all love more of, "This kicks ass because..."
Mad Prince of Highland

He may look like a Fem man, but he still gets all the ladies to love em! Come on now, this is old news. Japan loves making their characters young and gorgeous.
Serpent

Post by Serpent »

I hate the stupid prices on items while you get crap money for battles.
You can close your eyes from reality but not memories.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

I don't mind that as it gives me an extra incentive to get into random encounters since the battle system in Suikoden V is so fun.
I hope everything is going delicious.
killey

Post by killey »

You can always use the prosperity gear, so far I've got the Prosperity Ring (I think it's a ring) which I found in Rainwell (again, I think) and the Prosperity Sandals which I found in Yashuna.

But as Angelis said, the battle system is fun and most enemies drop decent items anyway.
Zombee

Post by Zombee »

The prince is adorable, and he looks a little less girly once you get out of Falena. I dunno, I guess I'm just a sucker for cute boys. (Also, Lym is so precious! I want to HUG her.)

Oh yeah, prince is kind of a badass, too! At least, I thought he was when (spoiler?) you could have him throw his nyoi-bo at Gizel's gladiator. So cool! I definitely like him more than Lazlo, and I think I might like him more than Riou!

If I play through this game again, I am sooo naming him Prince. Prince Prince!
NeoBlight

Post by NeoBlight »

dragonmasterx wrote:I also never liked how the game freezes for about 3 seconds when upgrading a weapon. This tradition continues in Suikoden V.
That's one thing I always loved about Suikoden.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

I can honestly say I love this game, screw the complaints! even if the camera angle is annoying and ect ect it dosent matter!

because the story, characters and gameplay are mind blowingly beautiful

suikoden 5 is...I think....the BEST suikoden game EVER!{yes I think it beats 2}
Stalphose

Post by Stalphose »

son_michael wrote:I can honestly say I love this game, screw the complaints! even if the camera angle is annoying and ect ect it dosent matter!

because the story, characters and gameplay are mind blowingly beautiful

suikoden 5 is...I think....the BEST suikoden game EVER!{yes I think it beats 2}
I'd have to agree with you.
Mad Prince of Highland

Wow, better than 2 eh, how far in it are you Michael? I still think 1 is my favorite. It just, touched me. V is very entertaining though... *ponders in deep thought*