Nitpicks about Suikoden V

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

So uhhhh..now that you guys have beaten the game..what do you think of it?
Awesomeness.
---
Some more nitpicks from this thread:
http://otd9.jbbs.livedoor.jp/gensosuiko ... 42&range=1

-Cursor memory doesn't reset - If I choose unite attack, the menu cursor for the next person will be at "unite." It doesn't reset to "attack."

-"Are you sure?" confirmation comes up for many things in the status/menu screen.

-Too much story and not enugh battles in beginning. May be annoying to people new to Suikoden.
skymansxeno

Post by skymansxeno »

Boy you were right to call this stuff nitpicking. Most of this stuff doesn't bother me very much at all.

But that's cool that the story and characters are good. That's what's most important.
himurokoken

Post by himurokoken »

Can you compare the game to SI-IV, DMX? Where would you place it?
Pessy

Post by Pessy »

suikoden 2 has always been my fav game, but these game rocks.

it is much better than suikoden 3-4 and better than suikoden 1.

when the us versjon comes out, I will compare it too suikoden 2,
since I don`t understand the hole story yet.
shoo

Post by shoo »

dragonmasterx wrote:
You call 'em nitpicks, but are any of them things that are seriously detrimental to the gameplay, or are they things you can overlook because the story/gameplay is good?
The worst thing is the 9-second loading time. Whether they're seriously detrimental or not depends on the person. I recall counting more than 9-seconds for battle start in Xenosaga Ep.2 and gave up that game solely because of loading time. But I can take 9 seconds.

Yea the story is good so far. Not sure about gameplay yet.
Heh. So, I guess this is why you can do as Enjirube stated in another thread:
Enjirube wrote: However to compensate they have revitalised the "one handed" play method seen in Suikoden II & III. Thats L1 is do action like X(O in Suikoden V for some reason??), and L2 is cancel or triangle. Select button lets you in and out of the menu.

So when you are battling or just on the phone to you friend you can play the game with just on hand, i am glad about this as this is one of my favourite features, and it was not fully included in Suikoden IV.
So yah, those 9sec long loading times along with the one-hand controlling thingy are probably for those phonetalking etc. peeps, I guess... :twisted: Heh.

But yah, I agree that such long loading time for battles is a waste of time.

Also, turning the camera in a city/town _should_ be a possibility in the EU version of the game. Otherwise, things might be too annoying...

Also, I read some place that you can change characters outfit..? Is this true? So you can i.e change the coloring of each outfit, or?
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

2>5>1>3>4
---
I left out an important nitpick(both personal and from that Japanese thread):
No save point before the final boss. If I remember correctly, the closest save point is at the beginning of the dungeon.
HolyPaladin

Post by HolyPaladin »

shoo wrote:Also, I read some place that you can change characters outfit..? Is this true? So you can i.e change the coloring of each outfit, or?
I think costume changes are only for story reasons. Snowe's costume changes were also for story reasons, but unlike Snowe, no one has found out yet if you can still use the Suikoden V costume changes after the story events have happened.
Last edited by HolyPaladin on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Showcasing Q here because he's the man! 8) Er, robot. :oops: Wait, cyborg...? :? OK, just what is Q, anyway?!
Oh, and please call me Paladin for short.
Auron_81

Post by Auron_81 »

Hi everyone...I'm new here, not new to the Suikoden universe though. Long time dedicated fan, S5 looks great so far, i'm wondering how it will stack up against the rest of the series......any hands-on insight would be much appreciated...
Piercezoner

Post by Piercezoner »

dragonmasterx wrote:
2>5>1>3>4
---
I left out an important nitpick(both personal and from that Japanese thread):
No save point before the final boss. If I remember correctly, the closest save point is at the beginning of the dungeon.

good thing you can continue at the beginning of the final battle if you lose.
-----------------------
Tir Tcdohl
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

ChristianSoldier wrote:
shoo wrote:Also, I read some place that you can change characters outfit..? Is this true? So you can i.e change the coloring of each outfit, or?
I think costume changes are only for story reasons. Snowe's costume changes were also for story reasons, but unlike Snowe, no one has found out yet if you can still use the Suikoden V costume changes after the story events have happened.
No, you can't change costumes at will.
I hope everything is going delicious.
dragonmasterx
Elite Member

Post by dragonmasterx »

True, but one person on the Japanese forum said he had to restart from the save point entirely, because his entire party kept dying with the setup he had.

But everyone here who's read this now will know in advance to have a powerful party prepared for the final boss.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

It's true. I had to repeat the entire final dungeon as well. I thought there would at least be a save point between the final duel and the actual final battle, so everyone was rather unprepared. Worst flaw: Not enough healing.

Sometimes spoilers help make your gaming experience better, after all.
Vextor
Global Admin

Post by Vextor »

I went through the same. Initially I went in with a party that was too phsyical oriented with not enough Magic Defense.

As a result, I prepared my party for about 10 hours before retrying again.
melange

Post by melange »

I had the same experience.. just barely made it through the final boss with 3-4 characters still alive on my first time against it... Went in next with lots of magic defense prepared and it was a lot easier.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

sounds like fun!