What will the army battles be like?

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
True Wind Bearer

Post by True Wind Bearer »

Maybe Konami will even use Suikoden II's War Battle system, but also have Suikoden I, III and IV's systems as mini games, much like in Suikoden IV, Nao and Mao's Mushroom VS. Mint War, which used Suikoden I's War Battle system. However, this is just me hoping, and it probably will not happen, but I think it's a nice way to have a variety of War Battle systems without stuffing the game up.
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

Basedon what we've seen thus far, I'm expecting a new verion of the army battles. Plus, I really disliked SII's major battles, I'm probably the only one, and I would die if I saw it come back since they were annoying rather than fun.
I hope everything is going delicious.
Kranach

Post by Kranach »

why suiko II??? it was the best ... i mean you can customize you units according to your liking... my best will be stick with george... add shu and klaus... man so perfect... double critical... double evade... cavalry... high atk... and... def... and george is also the highest attacking unit... pesmerga + shu... but on the down side low def... customizing the units... unlimited possibilities... i try as many possible combinations... thats why i like suikoden II's battle system... and ofcourse the whole game itself... so little flaws...
Suikoden I - Fuma/Kage/Kasumi
Suikoden II - Mondo/sasuke/Kasumi
Suikoden III - Landis/Watari/Ayame
Suikoden IV - Akaghi/Mizuki/Kate
Suikoden V - Shigure/Sagiri/Raven
Angelis_Taleria
Elite Member

Post by Angelis_Taleria »

I found the major battles long and drawn out and not nearly as fun as SI's of SIII's major battles. Heck, I even enjoyed fighting with boats in SIV more than the major battles in SII.

If you're saying you enjoyed SII's major battles then you should've enjoyed SIII more so since it used SII's system and made it actually enjoyable. It was basically the same, except without the unnecessarily large maps with you on one side and your opposition on the other side moving slowly toward each other. SII's major battles were a real thrill.

I know I'm probably the only one, but I found SII's major battles to be overrated in the fun department.
and ofcourse the whole game itself... so little flaws...
Except for all of the glitches that the game had
I hope everything is going delicious.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

That, and the fact that you had very little freedom in what you could do. Nearly every single battle in the game was fixed from the beginning, and there was almost nothing you could do to not meet that end. In nearly all of the battles, simply waiting around long enough or moving into the city will win you the battle, which takes out the forced challenge of facing someone powerful like Yuber (although you were forced to "kill" him at one point).
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

there were some nice bonuses though, if you chose to stay in the major battles, sometimes you get extra bonus scenes, like when luc appears to fight sasarai

I enjoyed suikoden 2's major battles, it was fun watching all those little guys charge each other and I loved the over head strategic sense of it, not to mention the individual special abilities some unit's had and how they related to the field, but the whole luck thing annoyed me

i'll always love suikoden 2's major battle system, but if they bring it back, take out the luck

edit: alot of typos{I blame my keyboard}
Last edited by son_michael on Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Angelis_Taleria wrote:I know I'm probably the only one, but I found SII's major battles to be overrated in the fun department.
Believe me, you are not the only one. I consider Suikoden II had the nicest looking setup for army battles, but that's all there is to it. The actual fun factor was nada.

If they ever decide to rehash that system, they better rework the stats system from scratch.
Einlanzer

Post by Einlanzer »

I really enjoyed Suikoden III's.. I hope something similar comes out from that, but then again, I will definately welcome something new.

Only thing I didn't like about Suikoden III was the last battle was too easy. Yuber's unit came at me. [his field card] So Hugo ran up to him [in actual battle now] and instantly, flawlessly killed Yuber. It was the funniest damn thing I had ever seen in Suikoden battles.

Hugo just did his little 4 or 5? hit attack and he plopped on the floor dead.

I was a bit dissapointed... but meh. I kind of enjoyed IV's despite the fact that they were ridiculously easy. A challenge for once would be nice, maybe Rhapsodia will be a preview of what Suikoden V's tactical army battles have in store for us. :wink:
Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

I definitely like the play mechanics in the army battles of suiko III more - but, I have to say it was lacking the visual flair of actually seeing the terrain in detail outside of actually attacking another unit.

I like to see my units sitting on grass or wood or mountains or whatever.

But to be absolutely honest - It's about time we see more depth to the army battles in general - not a large amount (after all this is still suikoden.) But what I'm getting at is each game should show mark improvements in depth and scale of army battles.

They feel too much like a series of mini-games right now.

They need to be more integrated into the rest of the game - the more depth and realism the better. I dunno. I hope next-gen systems allow for some serious growth in this department - Especially with the large data space available with the PS3's BlueRay discs.
Shikton

Post by Shikton »

Looking at those screenshots with water and ships...I fear we'll be re-introduced to some naval battling. I really hope we won't though, because I just couldn't stand the S4 battles. Way boring, imo. I would love to see something of the S3 sort, or a revamped S2 major battle system. That would be good.
I am Shikton, the Slayer of Bunnies.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

Shikton wrote:Looking at those screenshots with water and ships...I fear we'll be re-introduced to some naval battling. I really hope we won't though, because I just couldn't stand the S4 battles. Way boring, imo. I would love to see something of the S3 sort, or a revamped S2 major battle system. That would be good.

I dont think there's anything that suggest Ship battles in suikoden 5
Shikton

Post by Shikton »

Nothing really indicates it, no, but the thought of more naval battles still makes my stomach turn itself inside out... :(
I am Shikton, the Slayer of Bunnies.
Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

I would have to agree with Shikton - the naval battles in S4 left much to be desired. I would have no probelm with it if it wasn't so mechanical and plain feeling.

I really don't think there was any excuse for how poor those battles were considering how much sea exploration was tied into the game play.

I know this might be expecting too much - but after playing Skies of Arcadia the ship battles in S4 were almost depressing.

By the way, has anyone played "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" for the Sega Genesis. Suikoden could learn alot from that game on how to do ship battles. The game is a dinosaur but it spelled "ship battles done right."

You could not only ram and board a ship, but you could also storm through its compartments - wiping the ship clean of personel and treasure. Afterwards you could salvage the ship for money :P
Chris_Lightfellow

Post by Chris_Lightfellow »

Sovereign wrote:I would have to agree with Shikton - the naval battles in S4 left much to be desired. I would have no probelm with it if it wasn't so mechanical and plain feeling.
Personally, I enjoyed the naval battles. It could have been better if there had been more ships to destroy or an added scene of a ship blowing up when you sank it, but overall not bad.
And if I saw you dancing, I would spin you around, spin you around, turn your world upside down

Not sure about something? Check the board rules!
Yuki Tenkai

Post by Yuki Tenkai »

I liked the naval battles, too.

I still hold firm to the Gladitorial battle idea. Suikoden V has to have that aspect in there somehow. It could be possible that the prince is found guilty of some kind of felony, and is enslaved and has to fight in the Gladiator arena. It could be possible that the death of the Queen of Falena comes into place in this particualr point in the story, and the Prince, Georg, and others could be found guilty, so the Princess sends them all to be enslaved, and they have to have major battles in the arenas. Just an idea.
"And as for the the end of the World, you need not worry. No one should worry about such a thing right now..."
-Leknaat, Suikoden IV