Sketchy non-true runes

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Aerolithe Lion

Sketchy non-true runes

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

So in Suikoden you learn that Leknaat is an important character to collection of the 108 stars and that she has a true rune. In Suikoden II you discover a special cave dedicated to the Rune of Beginning. Again, true rune bearer Leknaat presides over the events in this cave. In Suikoden III there are multiple Sindar ruins dedicated to holding the power of true runes. SIV Leknaat follows the journey of the true rune bearer, and confronts the Ghost Ship Captain with his dealings of the true runes. See the trend here?

Now we have Suikoden V. I have two qualms with this game. The first, minor one is that a character, who as far as we know doesn't have a true rune, not only knows Leknaat but has a special name "keeper of the stars". Now maybe she has a True Constellation Rune we're unaware of, but it seems Leknaat acknowledges she has a responsibility not unlike her own.

Secondly, and this is the big one, the Dawn rune is NOT a true rune. It has some responsibilities, but doesn't seem to be much more than a higher level Thunder or Cyclone rune. However, the Sindar constructed an entire fortress controlled by the Dawn rune. So far this rune has played a more important part in the history of the Sindar then any of the other true runes. An entire lake sluice system solely controlled by this nontrue rune. I feel it was just poor writing.

And yes, it does play an important gameplay mechanic, but they could have very well made the Ceras Ruins respond to the sun rune, and then acknowledge the sun rune's signature within the dawn rune. But instead, this non true rune ends up playing such a major role in the entire SV Sindar history. Where's the Twilight rune secret ruins that control some amazing construct no true rune is capable of?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Sketchy non-true runes

Post by KFCrispy »

not sure what you're so concerned about. i would not put the Dawn and Twilight Runes on the same level as a Cyclone Rune. Just because something isn't a True Rune doesn't mean it's not a unique/powerful/significant rune. Bright Shield and Black Sword were similar. The Dawn and Twilight tamed one of the most fearsome True Runes known to civilization-- without their guidance, the Sun Rune drives the bearer crazy-- as you certainly witnessed, Queen Arshtat's emotional loss of Ferid allowed the Sun Rune's influence to take over and decide to destroy the entire land.
Aerolithe Lion

Post by Aerolithe Lion »

My concern is that the Sun rune seems like the most important rune to date, with an entire country under its spell. Yet the writers felt it more important to flesh out the Dawn rune when it came to Sindar constructs, buildings, and ancient Falenan waterways. Just doesn't feel... Correct
Nikisaur

Post by Nikisaur »

Not toooo sure what the gameplay question is here, but I can understand the confusion. Suikoden 5 had some things really well fleshed out, and others were very game mechanic-y. Such and Lucretia's 'hunches' which ALWAYS work but she'll never tell you beforehand. But that is a different rage-rant.

The Dawn and Twilight runes are important in the society of Falena. Just like Sol Falena has its East and West Palaces to protect it, the Sun Rune has the Dawn and Twilight to keep it in check. It may not be part of the True Rune like the Bright Shield and Black Sword, but it is still above normal runes. They didn't do the greatest job of making the Dawn and Twilight runes equal in terms of ruin thingies I suppose, but yeahhh...
The only thing Suikoden lacks...is dinosaurs.
Twilight Sky

Post by Twilight Sky »

I understand where he's coming from, but over time I came to terms with it.

Well the others have covered the basics of the 2 child runes already.

We're set in the game with a character who is a Prince that'll never become rule of Felana - this part I didn't like. He initially felt like a glorified filler character, while Lyon is the main focus of the game.(Technically the game is basically about her and the Sun Rune). Though the Suikoden team was clever with his role, making him grow beyond his royal limitations. The key to pulling that off was to give him something important. After awhile my feelings for the character got a little more reasonable.

In a sense, you BECOME the Sun Rune. I can definitely see other reasons besides its bright light that Night Rune packed his bags and left. The Sun Rune strikes me as arrogant. Let's also the consider that obviously, not even the Sindar have mastered the use of the Sun Rune. We can't have a mind stealing True Rune like the Sun Rune be in charge of opening entire caves and castles. The bearer might got nuts right there and blow up the world. Meanwhile the Sun Rune is floating in space, laughing. So its only sensible that the Dawn and Twilight Runes are needed to open specific areas.

Don't get me wrong, its a crappy rune gameplay wise til you get Crimson Sky, but its an important Rune none the less.