UnDub vs Dub

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
ramensempai

UnDub vs Dub

Post by ramensempai »

I am playing the UnDub of Suikoden 5 and it is very good. Certain scenes made me tear up irl and I am a 27 year old male xD I was wondering, is the Dub as good? Has any one played both? Thoughts, opinions? And just some FYI, I am new to these boards and have only beaten 1 and 2, and have slightly played 3 and tactics. I plan to master 5 soon and maybe play 4 and some of the other things (T. or Suikogaiden maybe... )later.
-Insert witty Sig here-
EstrangedIX

Re: UnDub vs Dub

Post by EstrangedIX »

I think it's ok for the most part. Lorelei seemed a bit whiny to me, but then I remembered she's still an angsty teen in this one. It seems like the voices are pretty close to how you'd imagine them. Not exact, but way better than say, Ted in IV. Holy hell that was awful.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
ramensempai

Post by ramensempai »

Heh heh. Yeah... Nice observations. The Japanese voice cast is great. I really like Shigure's voice / char.
-Insert witty Sig here-
EstrangedIX

Post by EstrangedIX »

That's good to know. I've not had much exposure to Japanese VA beyond anime, and that's not always good lol.. Glad I'll probably enjoy this a lot if I ever get the chance to play it that way.
Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 - Break the ICE
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

wow! i didn't realize there was an undub version, that's awesome!!!! thanks for the heads up.
the English dub is actually VERY good. i've had really bad experiences with dub jobs on many anime and video games (like i'm sure most people have), but they did a GREAT job here. every line is spoken very naturally with the right emotions.
ramensempai

Post by ramensempai »

Yes, I am not sure of this place's stance on 'piracy' but I have a modified PS2 so I DLed the UnDub version bc I love UnDubs very much.
-Insert witty Sig here-
kratoscar2008

Post by kratoscar2008 »

I prefer the Undub too, japanese are great in this department.
ramensempai

Post by ramensempai »

kratoscar2008 wrote:I prefer the Undub too, japanese are great in this department.
lol +Rep :P
-Insert witty Sig here-
ramensempai

Post by ramensempai »

BTW I think Roy's voice actor in the UnDub is the same guy who does Edward Elrics in the japanese version (BOTH old skool and Brotherhood) in Full Metal Alchemist... which is funny bc he kind of reminds me of the same kind of character style, looks wise... hehe. They know how to fit Seiryu (spelling?) really well!
-Insert witty Sig here-
ramensempai

Post by ramensempai »

I also have to say in the UnDub, Chisato's alternate voices you can change too are ridiculously silly.. and I do not even have them all yet, just 2,3 and 5.. and also I always have left it on Voice A for the Default voice 1.. but I am sure B is probably cool / normal like the default default voice.
-Insert witty Sig here-
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Please edit your previous post instead of triple posting.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

UnDub is just the game with Japanese audio instead of English, there's tons of that around. I for one LOVE having the Japanese audio instead of English, the only game I actually prefered the English audio was Soul Calibur IV. Darth Vader speaking Japanese was just... Wrong.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Generally I prefer the Japanese audio, if for no other reason than the production values being higher, the English dub tend to just be something slapped together for the lowest price, whoever was available that day gets the part. Probably why Shigure sounds like an old man with arthritis in the English dub.

Similarily, I can't imagine that the Japanese dub of, for example, GTA IV would be better than the original (if there is one), since Rockstar actually put effort into their voice cast. Obviously there's always better or worse performances in any cast, but I tend to go for the original language if available.

Then in cases like SEGA (not to mention Suikoden if the earlier games had VO) the Japanese dub just serves to aggrivate the horrible translation job when the text doesn't match the audio.
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.
Silverberg

Post by Silverberg »

I thought the English voice actor choices for Final Fantasy XII were excellent. I never heard the original though. I just thought the audio of the recordings was odd. I think someone described it as being too close to the microphone or something. I wonder if it sounded similiar in the original Japanese.
"Black Rune, pink balloon! This guy killed Gremio!!!"
ramensempai

Post by ramensempai »

Very good points sir! @ Raww Le Klueze

And yeah some Dubs are pretty good, but I also never heard the Dub @Silverberg ... but FF12, while being technically Japanese is about as Westernized as you can possibly get! In fact I only played FF-X and FF-X2 in UnDub. Mostly all the rest with voices, I thought were good enough, but omg .. Tidus is Ichigo from Bleach and awesome in UnDub.. or a whiney bitch in Dub...
-Insert witty Sig here-