Is Suikoden 5 a remake?

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
grehe

Is Suikoden 5 a remake?

Post by grehe »

I just finished playing this game and the whole time it was giving me a deja vu vibe. What really got to me was when I first got the castle and Viki said:
No. no...
This place definitely feels familiar.
Or does it?
Gee. maybe I'm just imagining things...
Anyway, this place is great! Perfect!
A really fantastic castle!

What a strange feeling...
Like I've been here before...
Or is my brain somewhere else?
So I'm wondering if this is a remake or maybe borrowed elements from old classics? I remember playing this game but I never touched a PS2 before. Has this game been ported to other platforms?

If anyone can clear this up, thanks.
Hirathien

Re: Is Suikoden 5 a remake?

Post by Hirathien »

Suikoden V took a lot of stuff from previous Suikodens. Or so i've been told.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

no it's not a remake of any sorts. Viki is a recurring character who seems to get involved with all sorts of Stars of Destiny groups, and since she's forgetful she gets deja vu often.
veriaqa

Post by veriaqa »

Suiko5 plot was basically some Suiko2 characters background. Thats the only relation Suiko5 has to the other game in the series story wise.

As for what Viki says, that is Viki. Scatter-brained as always. Or maybe she talked about some event in the past/future that we dont know. :)
I've came with an army who loves death like Yours loves live.
Rooks

Post by Rooks »

Well, Suikoden V is not a remake perse, but since the original creator of the series left Konami during the production of Suikoden III, many of the later games simply borrow or reuse elements from the previous games. Don't get me wrong, Suikoden V is an original game officially, as well as in many respects, but it barrows heavily from the Murayama Suikodens.

For example, having a castle in the middle of a lake is taken straight from Suikoden I. Things like the panic at the Dragon Cavalry are events taken almost directly from the first game. I could come up with many more examples.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but there are plot and character elements that are directly based on the content of the previous games.
eldrasidar

Post by eldrasidar »

Viki has also been known to have been in Falena before at least once with Nash, so she may very well be correct in thinking she's been there before. Also the idea of a castle built in the middle of a lake is identical to the castle of Suikoden 1. Once you've seen one castle in the middle of a body of water, you've seen them all I guess.
ninjaluc79

Post by ninjaluc79 »

Nice av, Rooks. Did you figure out your stats yourself or you used a simulator? Just curious.
It's not all about knowledge, but it helps.