Dealing Max damage (9999) on final boss

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Dealing Max damage (9999) on final boss

Post by KFCrispy »

*** split from Final Boss stats

so assuming it takes magic sword damage normally... max damage in 1 hit is capped at 9999....

level ~60 Kyle, atk at/around 550 with equipment and skills, and after formation bonus and feeding him a +30 ATK/MAG food item, it will be 600

runes: 2 of the following: Power Rune, Boost, or Double-Edge - because his atk is going to be 600 or less and Sun Incarnation PDF is 300, Power--> 600*1.5 - 300 = 600 = (600 - 300)*2 <--Double-Edge/Boost; at 600 they are all equally effective; Sword of Magic on RH or LH

skills: Sword of Magic (SS), Zen Sword (SS) (Zen Sword SS results in +20 ATK). with an offensive S in the element he is using, Kyle's Magic Sword state will let him deal over 280% of his normal damage.

equipment: focus on bringing your offensive affinity to S (the element of the Magic Sword rune), speed boosting, attack boosting, tech/luck boosting (for critical hit rate) in that order. since Kyle's around average for critical hit rate, no point of on focusing on it (although in this game, "average" is much more common than Suikoden 1/2's critical hit rate)

support (required!): have Shield Magic (cast Battle Oath, get Kyle berserked)... or DoReMi.... and the +30 ATK/MAG restaurant food item for Kyle.. get both of these working for Kyle before he acts in the second round. since Battle Oath isn't going to guarantee berserk, think about putting it on a really fast character (or Gale'd) so you have 2 tries.

Kyle has to set up his lvl 3 magic sword spell first round to get maximum damage off.

use a formation that ups ATK--i know True Men adds 20. anything else as high? most will add 10 or less.

[600 {Kyle's ATK}*1.5{Power Rune if used} - 300{enemy PDF}] * 2{for each Boost/Dbl-Edge} * 2.8{m.sword} * 1.5{berserk from Battle Oath} = 5040 per hit, non-critical
as long as Kyle's ATK is almost 550 before the formation boost and food item boost, Kyle's criticals should do 9999 on the Sun Rune Incarnation with random variation

please note i haven't tested it, so i can't tell if the Sun Incarnation takes normal damage from the magic sword, nor if the external stat bonuses (food item, formation) work with multipliers perfectly..

who else has the possibility of achieving 9999 in a single hit on the Sun Rune at lvl 60's without tons of stat stones? characters with high critical rates can realistically do Double Criticals, which multiply damage by 3 instead of 2, and ones that can get ATK over 600 should use Boost/Dbl-Edge over Power... are there any other items/spells that can further increase damage?

i don't think Miakis can do it in just 1 hit even on a Double Critical, but her strength is that she multi-hits and regular criticals often...

hmm... Killey may be able to deal 9999 as long as he Double Criticals and berserks with the help of allies. his natural growth for STR/ATK and equipment will put him well over 570-571, which is what he needs against a PDF of 300 using Double/Boost/Power.
Sabrewulf

Post by Sabrewulf »

My Miakis (lvl 67) do about 2500damage to the sun Rune incarnation with normal hit without food item and berzerk.
I gave her crazed rune, boost rune and double edge.

Did anyone try if the berzerk you got from spell give the same bonus as the one you got when a party member when die?
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

i haven't tested the berserk gained from fallen allies, but it's actually different in Suikoden II, III, or both, and maybe other games. i know i tested one (probably Suikoden III) and it had a 2x damage modifier.

Miakis has a chance of dealing 9999 on a triple critical with a magic sword / power / double-edge (or boost) setup. i don't think she can get an ATK beyond 600 (probably max at 550 or less) after all the ATK boosts, so the Power Rune will do more damage than a 2x dmg rune. do the same setup i described for Kyle and she needs to end up with 504 ATK after skill, equipment, formation, and item boosts.

so my question would be--which is most common, Miakis getting Dbl Crit, Killey getting Dbl Crit, or Kyle getting a normal Critical (all without Killer Runes or Vitality boosts)... i think it's a close call btwn Killey and Kyle!
gildedtalon

Re: [FAQ] Final boss stats (Sun Rune Incarnation)

Post by gildedtalon »

If you're looking for who can critical the most, it's Lyon in all my playthroughs
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
smercjd

Re: [FAQ] Final boss stats (Sun Rune Incarnation)

Post by smercjd »

Richard is the best...by far.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Re: Dealing Max damage (9999) on final boss

Post by KFCrispy »

Richard is very good but I was looking into characters that can deal 9999 on the final boss in a single hit. However, for total damage he has a good chance of being near the top with 4 hits, Swallow Rune, a free rune slot, high crit rate, and great skills.
Hirathien

Post by Hirathien »

Probably someone that's a bit slow. Like Georg, he deals quite a lot of damage. Sure, he can't be used in the first playthrough, but can in the second one.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

He goes down like a chump though because of the magic based attacks of the final boss.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I'd still pick Miakis, partially because I'm biased, but also because she doesn't have to waste a turn casting Magic Sword with a Power/Crazed/Double-Edged setup.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

of course Kyle doesn't need magic sword either, but you can pretty much trade Crazed for control and make up for the wasted first turn in the next 2. but packing a Power Rune AND Double-Edge is pretty suicidal as well.

if a character w/Crazed Rune is KOed, do they revive still crazy?
gildedtalon

Post by gildedtalon »

yes
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Yeah, they're still Crazed. I could use Boost instead of Power instead, but it's not for battles that will last more than 3 turns, which is pretty rare when you have True Men formation anyways, but the final boss takes more than 3 turns I think so it brings her HP down to 1, and she loses the attack boost.