First timer's question regarding Skills

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
perkyguy

First timer's question regarding Skills

Post by perkyguy »

New to the Suiko V scene although not to the series. Its a crime I waited so long to finally play it, but there you have it.

Now, before you start thinking/typing "read XX guide, search posts", know that I have already done so. I've played games with a system akin to the suikoden V's skills, where you select "stances" for each character that grant a bonus to some properties ( although at a penalty to others).

However in my experience simply grasping the basic idea is never enough, at least not for a power-gamer like me. To this end I would like you all to tell me things should know about the skills system that would help me optimize every little detail towards improving a character. The various skills seem balanced enough, but there are always skills that are more useful than others. For one thing, Im guessing magical defense is invaluable for boss fights. Max health, I guess would be bottom-most priority. Magic sword's a "huh?!" skill for me, but such skills, tend to be ridiculously powerful, if the concept is properly understood and put to use, so I'd be grateful for any light you might shed on the subject. My guess would've been it increases the elemental damage done by a rune, that is attached to your weapon, but It doesnt seem possible to attach runes to weapons. At least in the starting area.

Any general hints and tips that would aid me in creating powerhouses, will also be appreciated.
gildedtalon

Re: First timer's question regarding Skills

Post by gildedtalon »

Don't, the game is the easiest in suikoden series. Don't make it any easier. You'll have lots of powerhouses later in the game
My GameFAQs account now is SheenavsKilley
I already closed gildedtalon, my old account
perkyguy

Post by perkyguy »

Ah, what I have is a condition, Im afraid. Learning every semantic about a game then juggernaut-ing through it is my sickness. So I'd still like those bits of tips and info.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

the meat of powering up characters in this game is # of rune slots with the over-powered rune combination (read: Double-Edge, Boost, Fury, Power, Crazed for fighters.... Magic Absorb + powerful rune for mages), and some characters with good stats (light weapons + high speed stat = high chance of extra attacks). formations can also make fights a joke.

skills are definitely the least thing to worry about. they are basically best used to further boost high stats, particularly speed and critical hit rate for fighters, and the Magic stat for mages (boosts spell count and spell power). there is an interesting thing you can do with skills for Sword of Magic, but if you're looking to have an uber 1-round party, it's a waste of time.
perkyguy

Post by perkyguy »

Already at that stage - using 4 Extremely fast heavy hitters ( all with killer) that either attack 2-4 times or score dbl. criticals and a 463 magic zerase with rage rune. Main character tanks. Bosses last a second round if i get unlucky with criticals

Ahhh just like in suikoden 2

Sword of magic and other runes that require rounds to activate are worthless, considering everything goes bye-bye on the first round

Dawn rune sucks hard. never used it once. Cant believe im stuck this joke.