[Discussion] Member Recommended Parties with Reasoning

A forum for people who have played the game concerning the Sun Rune War to answer gameplay questions.
Matthijs

Favorite Characters/Party

Post by Matthijs »

Heyya, I was wondering what were u guys' most favorite characters/party setups?
Maybe also explain why, and how u upgraded the character (with runes ect.)

My favorite characters are Georg and Cathari.
Both INSANE "auto" fighters, Cathari gives a nice speed bonus to the game.
I equipped them both with a killer rune and crazed/fury rune.

Btw, am I right when I say that crazed rune is stronger then fury?
TrueWater00

Re: Favorite Characters/Party

Post by TrueWater00 »

the first time i went through it i used Prince, Rahal, Jeane, Viki, Killey and Raven. I personally love using magic in these games and all (with the exception of raven) are sweet at magic I am actually playing through it again right now and i am for sure using Prince, Nakula, Eresh, Bernadette, and im not sure about the other two, im thinking maybe Gavaya and Cathari, or i miht try one of the dwarves, I just hate how they made the three dwarves in this game. Two of them are old ass geezers and the other one is a little baby. I mean cmon does anybody remember Twaiken from Suikoden 3?!?!?!?! BEAST!!!!
Heh,I'll make sure you can never make that grin again.I'll chop you up!Ground you up!Dry you in the sun!Break you to pieces!Bury you in the ground!Piss on you!Then i'll dig you up!Pull you!Stretch you!Drag you around!I'll Never Forgive You-Viktor
patapi
Forum Moderator

[Discussion] Member Recommended Parties with Reasoning

Post by patapi »

Strange that the Suikoden V section has yet to have this topic, so here it is.

Quoting Shirofan in the same topics for earlier games:
Because I seem to be powerless to stop people from trying to create topics asking what people's favourite parties, or best parties are then we'll do it in a regimented way that means you have to explain your choices in detail.

For each character in the lineup give details as to which rune you attach to them, what equipment you choose to use, which skills you have them learn and explain why you have chosen that character to fulfill that role in your party.

Saying a character is 'cool' is a reason; but it needs to be clarified so you will have to explain why you think that character is cool and why that is more important to you than any other reason.

Then when you have elaborated in detail [This means several lines of text] about each character in the list explain why they function well as a group; include how you pair off the characters and why; note any useful unites that arise and why you find it beneficial to use them.

If any reply does not go into enough detail then a message will be edited onto the bottom asking for more clarification; if that is not forthcoming that reply will be deleted a day after being edited.
If a reply is just a list of characters it will just be deleted.

Any other such topic created asking for 'best', 'favourite' or 'suggested' parties will be deleted.
Hope this is for the best.
Runemaster

Re: [Discussion] Member Recommended Parties with Reasoning

Post by Runemaster »

So THAT'S why I can't find an SV topic about this: nobody has made one! Great job patapi and Matthijs! XD
The strongest party I can create is:

Frey; because he has the Dawn R--....duh.
Lyon; Twilight Rune, that unite with the prince
Richard; he's cool! Swallow Rune, Continuous attacks, levels ahead frey upon recruitment, the game becomes extra easy with him!
Zerase; Star Rune, Cool magic, OK attack, long range: The BEST magician of the game. And cool attitude!

Those 4 are really enough to finish the game boss but here are some more members I consider for strength, favoritism, design and whatever.

Cathari; the almighty Cathari. Boost+Crazed+Godspeed= One effing Goddess of bullets! weak Mdef though.
Viki; Physically weak at ALL but that glorious Chain magic thingy for a Final Flame is...well, glorious!
Belcoot; A fave and a sub for Richie in case he gets boring. Better DEF but attack-wise, he's not better than Richard. Plus, he' doesnt have colorful clothes unlike Richie's green so it's less fun.
Kyle/Bernie; balanced status;mages.

that's about it.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
Matthijs

Post by Matthijs »

I think the first party I ever used for the sun-incarnation was

Zerase
Prince
Lyon
Belcoot
Rahal
Roog

Kinda bad, I know.

Just finished playing yesterday for the #@?! time and this was the setup:

Cathari
Belcoot
Lyon
Prince
Levi
Zerase

Forgot u couldn't take Georg with u.. Spend alot of money on him.
Also, Cathari was pretty useless since she dies to fast , low MDF
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Matthijs, you may want to list down what your setups were for those character recommendations. Just simple listing of names won't do.

When it comes to the Sun Rune Incarnation specifically however, I find that characters with especially low Magic Defense become a significant liability to the team. It's my main issue with Georg and those Dragon-Horse cavalry people.
Matthijs

Post by Matthijs »

Setup, u mean like formation?

Belcoot is always in the front line.
First party ever he's with Roog/Rahal infront.
Zerase Prince and Lyon behind.

Second

Prince Belcoot Lyon
Zerase Cathari Levi
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

And what were they equipped with? Why did you choose those particular people? That would be the "reasoning" part.
King Krimson

Post by King Krimson »

Well for me i usually use:

Prince - Because he's likeable and we don't really get a choice on this one anyway.
Though i usually equip a fortune rune or a cyclone rune whichever takes my prefference at the time.

Lyon - Has a strong unite attack with the prince, has the twilight rune over all stat's are not to bad. I usually equip her with a water rune just in case.

Richard - have you SEEN him use his Swallow rune? we are talking epic win right here... Not many enemies can survive one round after being hit with that. Also he's an innocent kind of character there's just something cute/innocent about him. Also his conversation in the Childreich duel amuses me greatly. (good with a gale rune.)

Jeane - Well i have always used Jeane in the previous games whenever i could and she has strong magic so when paired with a thunder rune her magic is pretty devastating.

Zerase - Seriously her cold attitude and her gothy/ghostly complexion was just extremely likeable to me and at the time i wanted to see the star rune in action so i put her in and gave her a flowing rune and all the battles were basically able to be won with the star rune alone. but if not and in case of emergency she could use 'Thunder dragon' with Jeane to do some damage and heal the party.

Viki - Another likeable character for me that i have liked from the previous games, so i put her in the party for those battles you just can't be bothered to fight. and i usually put a rage rune on her just so she has some offensive magic.
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1542/banner2bq6.gif

Luc - "then your definition of freedom is the ability to walk around a giant cell with an invisible leash around your neck"
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

King Krimson wrote: Richard - have you SEEN him use his Swallow rune? we are talking epic win right here... Not many enemies can survive one round after being hit with that. Also he's an innocent kind of character there's just something cute/innocent about him. Also his conversation in the Childreich duel amuses me greatly. (good with a gale rune.)
Except that he'll never get to use it, because with bad magic defense he'll be dead in one hit from the Sun Rune. But earlier than that I'd recommend him, just swap him out at the end.
HarHar_0016

Post by HarHar_0016 »

well...in suikoden V I think..

Frey.. ofcourse
lyon.. ofcourcse again , they have a great combination in coop attacks and in magic.. with the dawn and twilight.. to form the strongest CREATION!
nikea and gavaya... has a great coop attack and attack and defence... and with nikea's boar rune .. she's unstopable!
zerase.. star rune... and sometimes i use levi... but he's old! it's annoying! so instead of using him i transfer the pale gate rune to Josephine!
and then ...lastly... hazuki, a great swords man... and sometimes instead of zerase I use richard... in the last fight... the easiest way to win is to attack the sun rune reincarnation with coop attacks and everything... youknow..
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

here are some less-popular characters i like to work with:
Yahr - okay, I just like trying to make him useful since he has the unlimited-use-when-berserk Angry Dragon Rune, but honestly he's pretty average or even below average overall and requires a lot of setup to get some serious damage going.
But if you want to keep reading... he has Angry Dragon Rune and 2 free rune slots, 2 free skill slots.
I like to set him up with Magic Sword just because it's such a novelty with few characters who can get above double damage using it. However, if you want to use Magic Sword, you'll have to use up a rune slot (elemental sword rune of choice), both skill slots (Magic Sword only C & Zen Sword A), and of course elemental boosting equipment to bring the element of the Magic Sword rune to S. The Magic Sword setup would let him deal 2.25x damage for the entire round without penalty (you know, accuracy issues or take extra damage, etc). Angry Dragon has unlimited use while he's berserk, but unfortunately Fury Runes don't grant permanent berserk in this game... so you can either start with Fury Rune and just keep using it until it's gone (usually only 2 or 4 rounds only) or maybe give him Violence Rune to let him have a really huge payoff when he goes Violent, or a Double-Edge (but watch out because he is too average to survive Sun Rune using Double-Edge without support).
Yahr's pretty average in all stats except for a high SPD stat so he is not going to stand out unless you get a good setup like combining Magic Sword with a berserk status from a rune or a Shield Rune user, (Double-Edge,) and Angry Dragon... with his SPD stat you can expect him to hit twice normally. Yahr also has low LUK and unimpressive SKL so don't bother trying to boost his critical hit rate.

If you just want instant heavy damage with Angry Dragon for a few turns, it's the obvious Fury + Boost combination, although the Boost status can sometimes die before the Fury Rune's berserk - I haven't figured out if Fury's berserk lasts a fixed amount of time per character or if it has a small random range of turns for the character, but I do think some characters remain berserk longer than others.

Yahr can also do some magic and also equip magic-boosting skills (Magic A and Divine Right A), but you may want to leave it to the pros. His elements are also all C so you need to do some work to boost his effectiveness with anything.

Goesch - I love the Mow Down skill, and you will too! Goesch gets 2 free rune slots and 1 free skill slot. You CAN give him a Magic Sword rune setup that gives him 2.12x dmg, but since he's all about just doing regular attacks, how about a simple Crazed Rune and Double-Edge/Boost. He has high HP, so Double-Edge is pretty safe. Crazed is an acceptable choice because it won't really matter where he attacks when Mow Down activates.

Mathius - with 3 rune slots everyone agrees he's one of the best characters, but he's no Miakis/Kyle/Norma. Mathius is similar to Goesch but with an extra rune slot, less HP, and a worse Mow Down skill. Mathius has a lot of options, since he has a good MAG stat, but in this game, physical attacks rule. You CAN dedicate a rune slot to a Cyclone Rune (I think he even comes with one, nice) to help heal the party in bad situations, but his avg SPD isn't the best choice for a healer. Mathius can also use Magic Sword as well as the typical Boost/Double-Edge/Fury runes. He is a decent choice for Strike-Back (Goesch actually is not the best for Strike-Back because he has a very good EVA stat) since Mathius has an average EVA stat, and it's definitely enjoyable seeing him Strike-Back and Mow Down multiple times in a single round. He's not complicated but it's hard to decide what 3 runes to go with.

Josephine - she is obviously great with magic, but there are 2 things to note: good Magic Sword compatibility (Magic Sword A and Sacred Oath A = 2.38x dmg) and low ATK. Low ATK means Josephine should use a Power Rune to optimize her attack, not a double-damage rune. If your ATK is 10 and enemy's DEF is 8, Power Rune raises your ATK and you get 15-8=7 dmg. Doubling damage gives you 2*(10-8)=4. You do have to watch out for her low HP and light/weak equipment so you might end up just making her a mage.

Gavaya - this is my recommended character for Strike-Back. Gavaya has monstrous ATK and HP, so he can take it and dish it out. he also has poor EVA which makes him less likely to dodge a direct short-range attack to optimize Strike-Back opportunities. He's also S range, so stick him in in the very front to get the most exposure. his Freeze skill isn't going to be very beneficial with Strike-Backs because enemies will recover the next round (if they didn't DIE!).
For other runes, Gavaya doesn't have the best accuracy so I don't recommend Fury or Crazed. A Double-Edge Rune or Power Rune (one, not both together!) is perfectly safe if he has Eyeball Rings to heal himself after attacks. Boost is always safe if you have a plan to (fully) heal all your Boost Rune users when their HP drops to 1. He can also go with Magic Sword (A) for 1.94x dmg.

For general parties, I do recommend a Shield and Cyclone Rune in the party, although at the end, the Dawn+Twilight combo can replace Cyclone. it helps if the caster is really fast (primarily SPD but also Incantation skills). Don't forget that Shield Runes also boost your team's magic damage, so a heavy magic team still benefits.
avenger

Post by avenger »

For S5? The best used Party?

Let's see, uhhh

I'd say the following.

Hero
George
Viki
Jeane
Lyon
Miakis

Hero gets to combine with Lyon and Miakis and George, all seperately of course. George provides the punch needed, he alone can do up to 4000 points damage when he is maxed.
Viki and Jeane seem to be on my list in every game they were playable. WHy? well you just look at their magic ability, nuff said.
Miakis and Lyon provide some magical support along with a good attack ability, thou Miakis doesn't miss as often as Lyon.
With this party there wasn't any trouble for me and that's why i use it and like it.
Matthijs

Post by Matthijs »

U can't use George at the final battle though.
Raww Le Klueze
Global Admin

Post by Raww Le Klueze »

Matthijs wrote:U can't use George at the final battle though.
You can in New Game+
Doctorum Non Urina Singulus.