Character Analysis, Tiers discussion

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Runemaster

Re: Character Analysis, Tiers discussion

Post by Runemaster »

And if I remember right, she only has 1 JMP.
I will bring Lordlake's fate... to the entire Suikoden World! weeeeeeh!
IczR1

Post by IczR1 »

highwind wrote:What's wrong with elemental robes? It's not like there's a Robe of the Dead in this game that boosts MAG by 50. There aren't a lot of other good equipments for magicians anyway, except maybe the Guardian Vestment, the Phantasmal Coat or the Venus Armor for the females, but if you use your magicians right, they shouldn't even be getting hit in the first place.
It wasn't directed at mages specifically, and equipping elemental robes on characters that aren't behind the lines all day does definitely hurt them (even if you need to do it sometimes, like with earth elemental characters who just don't fit in very well most of the times since wind hurts them).

About Eugene: of course he's good (i used him quite a bit during my first run), but i don't think he's essential to use, AI isn't THAT smart anyway. Personally i would rather have another character who's actually strong and fast, works better for me. I stopped using him in the later maps during my S rank run when i noticed i can kill faster without him.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Maxine's the only pure mage who has 2 in JMP anyway. The others all have 1.

Most of the characters suited on the front lines can't equip elemental robes. The ones that can are mostly mages and knife-users, as well as support characters (Cedric, Rene, Noah) and as I already mentioned, mages shouldn't be on the front lines, so I would say equipping elemental robes doesn't really hurt. Sigurd already has a good elemental affinity so I don't see the point in equipping an elemental robe to him. Kate has great evasion so it doesn't affect her that much.

Fredrica and the Yellow Mercenary are the only decent Earth affinity characters, and they can mount an Owl, so I don't see the need of changing their element.

Also, once you get Level 3 MP's for fighters, it's not that big of a deal to change elements anymore because of the Magic Sword effect.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

one of the reasons Sigurd is great is because i was able to equip him with the elemental robes to change up based on the Obel Elemental Chambers. it gave him a great advantage just like with mages.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

KFCrispy wrote:one of the reasons Sigurd is great is because i was able to equip him with the elemental robes to change up based on the Obel Elemental Chambers. it gave him a great advantage just like with mages.
If you equip the Eagle rune on Sigurd, that's where he shines. Lvl 1 skill Clairvoyance is 3x range. You can basically do 1x damage to an enemy that is 2 turns away.
Strategy is the key to victory!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

yeah all knife users can use the same Eagle Rune, but Sigurd is so superior because he can take on any element while Kate can only assume 1 or 2 elements (innate lightning and possibly some armor can change her element), among other things....
ForGreatJustice

Post by ForGreatJustice »

I'm just wondering if anyone else does the following:

I personally like having my main 15 or so chars to be either Wind, Water, and Fire affinities. So that way I have a team for each 3 element types that can be used for any situation, either stand alone or as a combination. My Wind team is Seneca, Kika, Lazlo, Nalleo, and occasionally Cedric (high speed/movement, good to excellent damage, and high evasion). The Water Team is Lalacle, Eugene, Sigurd, Flare, Frederica (changed to Water with Mermaid Robe) and Corselia (very balanced with great speed/mobility speed in Lalacle, Frederica, and Flare, tanking with Sigurd and Eugene, and excellent magic with Corselia). Finally my Fire team is Kyril, Maxine, Millay, and Rachel (again a pretty balanced group, but mostly focusing on damage). Andarc is the floater, and he only hurts the water team with his lightning rune/affinity, but he's too powerful to ignore. He alone is my answer to the Flowing Chamber monsters.

With my setups I have a direct answer to all elemental chambers except for the Thunder chamber. And for that I just go with a mix of all three teams.

I tried fooling around with lightning and earth teams using natural lightning/earth chars, but there were too many glaring weaknesses i.e. Pablo has low magic stats, Jeane (you guys were right) was a turtle, Kenneth has low overall stats, Ornella you get too late, and Kate is no Sigurd not even close. The other main Earth characters are just too mediocre.
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Kenneth has low overall stats
Oh, does he? That surprises me, my Keneth is always a real killer.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

well if you're going to use things like Mermaid Robes, then Sigurd and the mages can join any elemental team with the elemental robes. Frederica and Champo would be your best natural Earth characters, and then you have a bunch of tanks including Gretchen who's one of the better sword users. Yellow Mercenary is another archer, meaning he can be pretty versatile like other archers.

Jeremy and Keneth are both Lightning sword users who have decent overall stats but are problematic because they both have low SPD.
ForGreatJustice

Post by ForGreatJustice »

For some reason my Keneth only was gaining +1 for his stats per level so he ended up at 50 ish for all his stats, not great I think in comparison to other chars that can hit 70, 80, and even 90 in a few key stats like speed, evasion, and physical defense. Maybe I was really unlucky with the random number generator for stats...
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

ForGreatJustice wrote:I'm just wondering if anyone else does the following:

I personally like having my main 15 or so chars to be either Wind, Water, and Fire affinities. So that way I have a team for each 3 element types that can be used for any situation, either stand alone or as a combination. My Wind team is Seneca, Kika, Lazlo, Nalleo, and occasionally Cedric (high speed/movement, good to excellent damage, and high evasion). The Water Team is Lalacle, Eugene, Sigurd, Flare, Frederica (changed to Water with Mermaid Robe) and Corselia (very balanced with great speed/mobility speed in Lalacle, Frederica, and Flare, tanking with Sigurd and Eugene, and excellent magic with Corselia). Finally my Fire team is Kyril, Maxine, Millay, and Rachel (again a pretty balanced group, but mostly focusing on damage). Andarc is the floater, and he only hurts the water team with his lightning rune/affinity, but he's too powerful to ignore. He alone is my answer to the Flowing Chamber monsters.

With my setups I have a direct answer to all elemental chambers except for the Thunder chamber. And for that I just go with a mix of all three teams.

I tried fooling around with lightning and earth teams using natural lightning/earth chars, but there were too many glaring weaknesses i.e. Pablo has low magic stats, Jeane (you guys were right) was a turtle, Kenneth has low overall stats, Ornella you get too late, and Kate is no Sigurd not even close. The other main Earth characters are just too mediocre.
"Cedric (high speed/movement, good to excellent damage, and high evasion)." I'm going to have to disagree on damage. He's a support character. He can't do damage. I just use cedric to blow pass lvl 1-4 Obel ruins. Lvl 5 map- Golems will kill him.
For the Thunder chamber, it's a small area map. Difficulty depends on the number of dragons. Definitely have Pablo for the magic protection spells (Vengeful Child/Canopy Defense). Everyone complains about Pablo. I can understand that. He's an Earth mage! and Earth spells are mainly defensive except for earthquake. You'll need him to get S ranks on some maps, especially with lots of enemy mage characters.
Other than that, you'll have to fight Thunder with Thunder. I agree there's not too many good Earth characters (cause there aren't too many of them). Although Fredrica and Mercenary Archer are decent with the right setup.
Strategy is the key to victory!
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

in the Elemental Chambers, i prefer to take a team that is compatible with the day's element because you will see a lot of it spammed on the ground (elementals, spells, spirits). mages will have 2-3 rune slots so you can equip them with runes that are different elements, so that part doesn't make a difference.