[Discussion] Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tactics

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Oppenheimer
Global Admin

Post by Oppenheimer »

Someone was speaking of the caravan and I thought I'd make a comment. The music in the caravan is soooo annoying. Especially since I spend so much time in there switching armour and skills about I really hated it after a while. Suikoden usually has such good music but this one was just awful.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

Yeah, the caravan music puts me to sleep. I usually play late at night, and it really annoys me that I almost feel like sleeping instead of continuing the game. :(
Occam Arkitect

Re: Reviews and Opinions of Suikoden Tactics/Rhapsodia

Post by Occam Arkitect »

Hey guys, I need help, sorta..

I really want to replay this game, but I don't really have any incentives/goals for doing it. Can anyone suggest something for my replay? I didn't grab any secret equipment too, like the one from the last boss battle...
Takamashi

Re:

Post by Takamashi »

Kirkis wrote:I suppose... but, they still needed to make the permanently killed thing like a 1/10 chance of occuring or something... I was ready to rip my hair out in the Obel Ruins because of so many deaths and resetings/continuings I had to do.

The only reason to use a lot of the perma-death characters (aside from the fact 90% of them really didn't matter one way or another in the sense of storyline, except some rest scenes and such), is because at the beginning of the game you have very few storyline related characters... some of them just didn't even make any sense... like... I know Lazlo couldn't die because... y'know... whatever reason whether it was the true rune or whatever. But, characters like Flare couldn't die... yet I don't remember her in any cut scenes... same goes for Kika... she couldn't die, but she was barely in any cutscenes.
if your annoyed by death chance you should play fire emblem hehe.
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

PROS
- The game is harder than other Suikodens.
- Tactical combat system
- The main character talks, and Lazlo too.
- Good music.
- Decent plot

CONS
- Elemental tiles, I just didn't like having most of the battlefield colored up. And abusing it made the game too easy.
- Too many critical hits.
- The villain sucked.
- Generic characters have no eyes!
- The character graphics looked cartoonish which the environment looked better. The camera should have been closer too.
KFCrispy
Global Admin

Post by KFCrispy »

you know you can adjust the camera zoom, right?
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

KFCrispy wrote:you know you can adjust the camera zoom, right?
But still not close enough, or at least not clear. Vandal Hearts II had a good camara in my opinion (SRPG also made by Konami).

One thing I want to add to the good points is that you can use Snowe much more than in Suikoden 4. I like Snowe and the talk scenes with Lazlow are nice.
highwind44029

Post by highwind44029 »

I just didn't like having most of the battlefield colored up.
You know that you could set the tiles to not be colored, right? It would be quite a hassle to muddle through every tile to check what their color is, but that would be part of the challenge, no?
Bill Cutting

Post by Bill Cutting »

I'm giggling at all the people complaining about characters dying too easily. I guess nobody played Ogre Tactics, the genus of this line of games where once one of your characters died in battle, there was no withdrawal, he was dead. FOREVER.
Bill Cutting

Post by Bill Cutting »

Silver Dragon Flik wrote: - Generic characters have no eyes!
yeah this was disturbing, specially since it looked like someone used their finger to smudge them out...
Antimatzist

Post by Antimatzist »

Bill Cutting wrote:
Silver Dragon Flik wrote: - Generic characters have no eyes!
yeah this was disturbing, specially since it looked like someone used their finger to smudge them out...
Just as a note, there are a lot of characters in other Suikodens, too, who have no eyes (most of them are soldiers.. like the Harmonian Soldiers in Sui 3)
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

Okay, I'm not finished the game yet, but...

I'm really enjoying it. Much, much more than I expected to after reviews. Yes, it's simplistic. My only real forays into the genre were the Vandal Hearts games, Advance Wars, things like that. Never played Disgaea or FFTactics. But overall, I am super impressed.

Mostly, graphically. Now everybody wants to slate the graphics, and I can see why they do, but I really like the aesthetic, and whilst it's difficult maybe with the camera from time to time, I think it works really, really sweet. I actually love it to bits graphically, but I'm a bit of a weirdo, soooo...

Storyline wise, I'm enjoying it well enough. It's a shame that there aren't more people heavily involved beyond Kyril's group, Corselia and the Ninjas (I hate those two!); I'd've liked some more Flare, Kika, Trishtan cutscenes, but there we go.

Interestingly, I am using some characters that I never used in SIV - Trishtan and Flare for starters. And I know he wasn't available, but I didn't give a flying about Nalleo in IV but here he's often in my party. Rita has been toned down, but I use her all the time too... The others are usual suspects (Lazlo, Snowe, Sigurd etc.).

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who really, really wants to reply SIV now.
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

I'll have to agree with you on the graphics. The "cutesy" style just works. FFTactics had unusual graphics too, and I didn't hear many (or any, but I haven't looked) complaints about those. I also found myself using characters like Rita that I never used before, but I felt as though I kind of had to, since the characters I did use in IV (Lino and Mitsuba) weren't very good in this game. Obvious exceptions are Lazlo, Snowe, Kika and Sigurd, who I used all the time.

I never gave a review since this thread is so old, but I enjoyed the game overall. It kept my interest for 50 hours or so, despite the terrible plot. Sure, it's easier than FFTactics, but that's another reason I kind of liked it. I didn't have to grind JP over and over again on random boards (and random battles were optional!) or deal with annoying chocobos.
Jeremiah Ecks

Post by Jeremiah Ecks »

You think the plot is weak? I'm actually enjoying it - it's more 'localised' than the usual 'country spanning war' (so far!). I'm kind of enjoying seeing something at a grass-roots level, a bit like I suppose Suikogaiden would have been if we'd ever had a UK translation.

All of the other games are all massive wars. I know that's the series and genre, and I'd not change it for the world believe me, but I'm still enjoying seeing some of the characters in a different way. Shame no Ted though but I don't think he'd've fit. Saying that, why the heck is Lazlo even involved beyond 'Lino asked'. Then again, isn't that everybody? :lol:

-Jeremiah Ecks,
who is listening to Helloween and the Metal Opera whilst Terena Plaining - yum. :mrgreen:
"Everything is something, but nothing is everything."
Blutiger Engel

Post by Blutiger Engel »

Jeremiah Ecks wrote:You think the plot is weak?
That seems to be the general opinion. The whole "turning people into fish" thing being the driving force is a bit odd, and the ending even more so, but I won't spoil that for you. I definitely enjoyed the game more so for the gameplay and returning characters than I did the plot.

About Lazlo's involvement not making sense, I'd chalk that up to fan service. It's a nice bonus for getting 108 stars in IV, and I guess they figured Lino was the best excuse to make it make sense.