Man lvling in this game is a chore

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
EdgeOfThorns

Man lvling in this game is a chore

Post by EdgeOfThorns »

Even after reading some of the tip threads, its just hard...course maybe this is why i never been a huge tactics fan :(

Im loving the story alot, and the game...but i dont find myself loving battles like i do in regular turn based rpgs. Actually i enjoy the story battles more than going into Ruins and trying to lvl up, weird i know.
Alex Delferia

Post by Alex Delferia »

Nah, it's not really weird. The key in SRPGs is that you have to be kinda patient and especially enjoy the pace those games take.

If it makes you feel better, you won't spend Disgaea-quality time with Suikoden Tactics during a playthrough. The game's kinda short if you exclude Quest Guild jobs and some bonuses, but still.
EdgeOfThorns

Post by EdgeOfThorns »

Well, its funny because i do have patience for the most part, i played MMORPGs for about 7 years and the lvling in those games were insane lol but i was used too it.

And i enjoy lvling up big time in rpgs, like every rpg ive played in the last 15 years or so i always go crazy lvling up my party.

When FF tactics came out, i just wasnt into it. Maybe i didnt give it a huge chance though at the time, but turn based rpgs is my thing.

Im actually loving the quest parts of this game, its just i wish there was a bit more exp within battles. But im getting used too it, after i made this post i treked into Obel ruins lvl 3 and got the ancient coin, im starting to get a better system here i think.

I cant imagine how Disgaea is though, i own that and La Pucelle and they been on my backburner for quite awhile now.

Being i love Suiko series so much im just going to stick it out no matter what, and the more i play the more i like it of course.

Are there any good guides that show what some of the best runes/equipment for each particular character would be?
EdgeOfThorns

Post by EdgeOfThorns »

Im having a hard time though guaging what lvl is where i should be right now, i just did the battle of El-Eal and it went pretty good.

But I think my highest chars are lvl 9 and 10, and then like Rita is lvl 8 now, Maxine is 7 i think, Rene is 6 i think, Hervey and Sigurd are bout 6 right now, just got those 2.

Not sure if i should go deeper than lvl 3 in the ruins now to get all chars a bit higher or if they are at a decent lvl to move forward with.
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

Keep a good team of ~10 characters, and prepare them well. As long as you distribute EXP from story battles more or less evenly between these characters, I don't think you will ever need to go out of your way to overlevel for this game, unlike most other sRPGs.

I aim to have my units at most one level lower than the lowest level enemy on the battlefield. For S ranks.
Silver Dragon Flik

Post by Silver Dragon Flik »

I have yet to play a SRPG where I have to level up. Once you find a good strategy then each sRPG won't be that hard. I like to line up my people so less people will get attacked from behind and have archers/mages safe behind them.
EdgeOfThorns

Post by EdgeOfThorns »

well i think i finally got into the swing of it all ;)

Finally am able to Hunt Monsters, and that seems to really get my guys going as long as the mobs are higher lvl. Nice big exp chunks, workin great now getting everyone up to par.
Alex Delferia

Post by Alex Delferia »

Did you load Suikoden IV (w/108 Stars of Destiny) data in Suikoden Tactics?

If so, you soon should be capable of recruiting Hero IV for your party. He will make things easier for you, as he is rather versatile, and possesses the Rune of Punishment; in its phase of forgiveness, no less.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

once you get Lazlo things will be so much easier....in suikoden tactics Lazlo is UNSTOPABLE

This is how the rune of punishment should have been in suikoden 4...INSANELY POWERFUL
EdgeOfThorns

Post by EdgeOfThorns »

Course i loaded my IV data 8) Cant wait to get em!

Although, little distraction, my gf surprised me with a 360 tonight and so now im torn to what to play lol
patapi
Forum Moderator

Post by patapi »

son_michael wrote:This is how the rune of punishment should have been in suikoden 4...INSANELY POWERFUL
The spells are exactly the same stats-wise, arent' they?

Minus the self-damage, that is. If you take that part away from Punishment's spells in Suikoden IV, then there won't even be a story to tell.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

patapi wrote:
son_michael wrote:This is how the rune of punishment should have been in suikoden 4...INSANELY POWERFUL

Minus the self-damage, that is. If you take that part away from Punishment's spells in Suikoden IV, then there won't even be a story to tell.
Apart from with Double-Edged Sword. That spell dishes out some ungodly damage if you concentrate it on just one or two enemies.
Pollensalta

Post by Pollensalta »

patapi wrote:

Yeah, my Lazlo has had his ass kicked more than a few times. And I still don't think the RoP is on par with certain other true runes. But he's a pretty damn good character, and can't be killed.
Purr.
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

you also might not want to over-level cause the story battles have enemies that are set to a certain level. So if you level your characters to like 40ish by the last 2 battles, you'll still face level 30ish characters and thus cannot get an S rank/Hand of God there.
Strategy is the key to victory!