Battle 19: Small Border Village

A forum to ask people who have played the games about gameplay questions.
Crono2000

Battle 19: Small Border Village

Post by Crono2000 »

So I had been playing Suikoden Tactics up until about 2 months ago and was forced to stop because the game was simply kicking my ass.

I'm up to the 19th battle and the last few battles took me many tries before I finally won, not to mention that they were taking extremely long amounts of time to win. Well, the last time I got stuck I was at the Rune Cannon battle where Paula, Selma, and Jewel come on with two Owls. To put it simply, I can't win. It seems like every third enemy that I kill 4-5 more units appear on the screen until I get completely swamped. I believe that my average level is about 22-24 but I could be mistaken.

Does anybody have any advice, not only for this level, but in general. I need some advice to make this game easier otherwise I will never finish, and now that Suikoden V is coming out I'm pressed for time.
Buff

Post by Buff »

well get your party out of range of the first 2 rune cannons. they when selma, paula and jewel show up have paula and jewel take out the first 2 cannons before you move on. then i usually put flare on one of the owls and use her to try and take out another one. then it's also good to have a strong mage like andarc with his lightning or lazlo with his rune of punishment to take out another. then kill off some other people and charge the other cannons and take them out.
Lemmy Claypool

Post by Lemmy Claypool »

Double-Edged Sword is a good spell to use. If you concentrate it solely on a rune cannon then it'll destroy it in one go.
son_michael

Post by son_michael »

yes, mages are a must have in order to destroy the cannons
Crono2000

Post by Crono2000 »

Does anyone initially have a Double-Edged Rune equiped? Oh, and I don't have Lazlo, I didn't bother geting all 108 SOD's from Suikoden IV as I really didn't care for the game.
Jowy Atreides

Post by Jowy Atreides »

Double-edged Sword is a spell from the Rune of Punishment, so you wouldn't be able to use it. There's no Double-edged Rune in the game.
Crono2000

Post by Crono2000 »

I knew the spell sounded familiar, and I guess that is why. Shucks...
KoyuRedd

Post by KoyuRedd »

I didn't have Lazlo in my party (got him after that battle)

What you could do is take out the first three soldiers and proceed with your party normally, trying to ignore the other enemies (so the Cannon's "guards" don't show up).

When Paula and Jewel join, take out the first two Rune Cannons with them, and proceed north to get rid of the third. Meanwhile, the rest of your party could concentrate on the other two Cannons (you can take them down easily with a Cyclone/Flowing Sword runes, but remember to equip them on characters with Wind/Water affinities).

It may take a few tries if you don't want anyone to die (like I did), but it works. My performance was rated "A" in that battle.
[evil laugh here]
MatildaWhiteKnightLeader

Post by MatildaWhiteKnightLeader »

Stack Andarc with the best magic armor possible (tome of black arts, etc.) and especially some S rank items like Archmage's glasses, etc...

Andarc can then take out the first two rune cannons with 1 beserker blow/thunder runner each during the first couple of turns. Have Corselia near Andarc to heal him. The rest of your party should, as mentioned, concentrate on the kooluk soldiers, which would also take them out of rune cannon range. You CAN CHECK the range of each rune cannon before you decide to move. When Jewel and Paula appear, you can use the owls to get to the other kooluk soldiers that your party can't reach. Most of the Kooluk solider will Come to attack your party instead of sitting around. So I suggest you eliminate all of the Kooluk soldiers first (there might be a couple of archers sitting in the back) BEFORE proceeding to attack the rune cannons. You can dismount Jewel and Paula and use the owls on stronger female characters that you have trained and armored like Flare.

For the 2 rune cannons at the back that are basically next to each other, you can split up your party into 2 groups and attack the cannons simultaneously. Remeber to WEAKEN the cannons with elemental terrains first so you can do a decent amount of damage to them later.

Yea my strategy guide in the other thread uses Lazlo, sorry to those who can't get Lazlo for this game. I guess it's a reward to those who (through much torment and sweat) got 108 stars in suiko4 anyway. There's really no match for Lazlo's double-edge sword attack in the game. Earthquake misses.
Strategy is the key to victory!